PDA

View Full Version : An Experiment Gone Wrong...

ErikAllen17
02-07-2014, 10:24 PM
This is a fish report for Friday, February 7, 2014.

Hadn't been fishing in over a week and was totally getting the itch. Even though it had just rained, and the water would most likely be dirty, I figured I would give it a try anyway. Besides, I had an experiment I wanted to try with my GoPro. I dropped the kids off at school and then packed up the Tahoe. I arrived at my favorite AO and was on the sand by 10am, a little before low tide. I couldn't conduct my experiment until closer to high tide. While I waited, I fished the LC,,, for 3 hours and had absolutely no action. This was so not like the norm here.

The tide was starting to come in, and it was time to setup my GoPro experiment. You see, during high tide, this place produces some massive BSP. Nick has even taped one out at 17"! We always seem to crush them in this one spot. So, I clamped one of my GoPros to a pole and staked it into the sand near our perch hole. When the tide started to roll in, I hit record in hopes to see these giants congregate in the hole. I came back an hour later, noticed that the stake had come lose. I "reeled in" the GoPro and headed back to the truck.

At this point, I figured I should just pack it up. However, I was a little bummed about not catching anything at this AO. I don't think I've ever been skunked at this AO and I certainly wasn't going to start today. I rigged up some crack and bee-lined it for the nearest rip and cast it out. Halfway on retrieve... BAM... fish on! From the tugging and the bend in my rod, I could tell it was a decent sized one. I reeled in a nice size piggy... taped her out at 12", took a pic and then sent her back into the ocean. I cast out a few more times and landed another one. This one taped out at 11". Took a picture and released this guy back and started casting again. I ended up catching 4 BSP in about 30 minutes. Not a great session, but WAAAAY better than a skunk.

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Sycamore_02-07-2014_01.jpg

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Sycamore_02-07-2014_02.jpg

I decided to move the stake to where I was fishing (and where I caught some BSP today). As I was "reeling" it in via the safety line I attached to it, it hit a rock and cracked the glass lens on the waterproof housing. Bummer. At least the camera inside was still dry and still functioning. Thank God for small favors (totally awesome Archer reference!)

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Sycamore_02-07-2014_03.jpg

I was excited to see the footage I had captured. When I got home, I quickly downloaded the content and then watched the video. Unfortunately, it was trash. The tides just weren't high enough and all I got was wave action... can't see anything but bubbles and churning. Another bummer. Well, back to the drawing board!

bassmeister
02-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Nice perch. Sorry for the damage to camera. I saw some underwater footage of a guy in San Diego on his yak from bloodydecks. He had some kick butt footage of a halibut tha kept coming up to his anchovie or sardine and playing with it. Also a footage of a Leo during the battle good stuff.

anchor3n1
02-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Hey Erik

What a fantastic concept. I hope you can figure it out and try it again. It will be just short of amazing to be able to capture surf fishies in the surf on the GoPro. Thank you for trying:Shocked:

Good job on locating the perchies. As you know, that AO delivers the bite all around the HT. That's when we also nab a bunch. So way to go on using your skills to observe the conditions and get em on the low:EyePop:

See ya next week, bro,

Nick

one long cast
02-08-2014, 11:50 AM
I don't think you went wrong, you just learned a little more for what to do the next time out. Maybe a double stake system with some type of holder that will let you move the go-pro up and down for water depth. Your idea is a great one, dont stop now.

bachiboy
02-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Early when I started fishing the LC, I did a lot of experimenting braid connections and short topshots...things I use tuna fishing. It cost me quite a few LCs:Rolls Eyes: BUT, it takes trial and error to figure out what works as well as what doesn't. Fortunately it didnt cost you the whole camera, and you're that much closer to figuring it all out. Keep going and I'm sure the results will pay off!:Wink: Way to stick it out and beat the stripe Erik!

Don

btsponge
02-08-2014, 09:40 PM
It's a great idea - something I've thought about trying too. Keep at it, maybe you can get some good shots. Maybe you can even capture some perch strikes. That would be awesome!

murrieta angler
02-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Sorry about the case, but good job sticking it out! :Wink:
Robert
<><

ErikAllen17
02-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys… Yeah, definitely going to be doing it again. It was a bummer about the lens, but I went onto Amazon and found a two pack of replacement lenses for $20. So it turned out to be a less expensive "whoops" than I thought it would be.

Hopefully next time I try it it'll work out better. If I get some awesome footage, you can bet I will upload it to here to share with all of you.

dlmoo312
02-09-2014, 10:26 PM
That's a great idea! Sorry to hear about the broken housing, but I'd love to see some bsp footage in the future :Big Grin:
and good thinking on the safety line! Looking forward to the next report :Wink:

-Daniel

Wingnut
02-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Hey Erik, wouldn't it be cool to see a big ol' Hali settle into that hole?
What a great idea, but I think you're gonna have trouble securing the camera in one place with the surf action.
Hope your next try will be a successful one... :Wink:
Good luck to you guys Wednesday and thanks for the invite. But fishing on a weekday is almost impossible for me.
Come to think of it, fishing on the weekends lately has been tough too... :Neutral: But I did get a chance to hit the surf for 3 hours yesterday (Sunday) with good results. Report coming... :Wink:

skunked4life
02-11-2014, 06:32 AM
Erik,

You were thinking proactively and tried an experiment that did not go your way. Now you know what not to do and, logic dictates that you should eventually learn what TO do the next time. It is an ever learning process and you will get there.

Great job on the BSP.

Skunked4life

ErikAllen17
02-11-2014, 07:24 AM
But I did get a chance to hit the surf for 3 hours yesterday (Sunday) with good results. Report coming... :Wink:

I saw that report... looks like the master lost plenty of time, but certainly hasn't lost his step. Congrats getting back out there and congrats on the nice fish you landed! We'll get you out with us soon enough!

5150fishn
02-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Hopefully your next GoPro experiment is a success or at the very least not destructive to the camera! Lol
Thanks for the report and pics.