PDA

View Full Version : Wet one, in So. Cal.

murrieta angler
02-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Had to check out a job in Costa Mesa this morning and you know what that means...:Envious:

I was through around 11:30 and decided to check out a couple of my local spots.
Arrived on the sand, at my first location, right around 1:00. (Had to get a bite to eat) :Wink:
I was glad to finally see some holes and a little bit of structure...:Smile:
After 30 minutes of casting, I see this decent looking hole and throw my line past it, and proceed to reel in my LC...FISH ON!
It took a small amount of drag and kept on bumping my rod tip...:???:
When I saw what it was, I had completely forgot what it felt like to reel one of these in;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140206_131238_zps7d8481ae.jpg (http://s977.photobucket.com/user/gudgersfishing/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140206_131238_zps7d8481ae.jpg.html)

The last time I caught one, was back in August, if my memory serves me well...:Rolls Eyes:
It was right around 14", after I put it back in the water I decided to move on, since time was short and the rain was starting to come in.
I checked out two other spots, for nothing, and headed back to my truck.
I stopped at the spot where I caught the YFC and threw the LC there again, BOOM!
I caught another, around the same size, and got it back in the water.

MENTAL NOTE>>>I KNOW WHERE THE YFC ARE...:Cool:

By the time I get back to my truck, take a leak, and leave the area, it is right around 2:30...PERFECT!!
I want to get to this other spot, that I had checked out last week.

After a trip to the bank and 7-11, for some water, I arrived ay my next location 9 minutes before high tide.. :Smile:
Just as I stepped out of my truck, it started to come down in buckets...:Rain:
DANG IT!!
So, I stayed in the truck for about 20 minutes and it started to die down.
I almost deiced to go home, because of the strong winds, but said, "Heck, I'm already here, might as well give it a shot" !?!
I put on my stuff, re-tied my LC and went down to the water.
I look to my left and see another person there fishing...:Surprised:
I guess I'm not the only one trying to get a little fishing in....:LOL:
I walk up to him (Tim) and start to chat for a few.
He informs me that he is new to surf fishing and he had caught a couple dink BSP...:Thumbs Up:
It's after 4:00 and I said Good Luck.

I proceed to head to the first area, that I had scoped out last week, and toss my LC as far as I could get it;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140206_160027_zps8043f8c4.jpg (http://s977.photobucket.com/user/gudgersfishing/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140206_160027_zps8043f8c4.jpg.html)

CHEE HOOOO!!! First cast and I am rewarded with a healthy 18" Flatty...:High Five: yes, I high fived myself..:LOL:
I show Tim the fish and he starts walking over to me.
I get the fish into the water, cast a couple more times and BAM!!

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140206_161124_zps2cceb697.jpg (http://s977.photobucket.com/user/gudgersfishing/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140206_161124_zps2cceb697.jpg.html)

I get this thick 25" Flatty...:Dancing Banana: (definitely worth a dancing banana)
Tim ask a couple of questions and before he can ask me anymore, I pull out another LC and tell him to tie it on...:Fishing Hole:
I say, "if there's one, there has to be another"...:Razz:
He says he's worried about losing it, I say why?!? It belongs to you now...:Big Grin:
I give him some instruction and tell him to get casting.
About 5 casts in, I look over at him and he is stuck in some kelp. (There is a ton of big kelp)
I give him a hand, bite off the LC, tell him to retie.
I am still working the area, I look over, as he walks to the shore, he casts out and loses the LC.....:Embarrassed:
I walk over to him, see the pig tail and tell him to try a different knot, as I give him a second LC...:Wink:
I notice he is using, maybe, 8 pound line, so I show him a different, as I tied it on for him.
I then heard his drag clicking, so I adjust his drag, show him the proper tension and give him a little more instruction.
After that, I inform him that I am going to check out a couple of the other holes I noticed last week.

As I am getting closer to the next hole, it is looking sweet!! :Big Smile:
I start casting and within minutes, I am on my third flatty...:Big Grin: It is a shorty, maybe 14", but that tells me that there must be more.
I work this nice hole for another 10 minutes and ended up with another shorty. Sweet, that's 4 in less than an hours fishing time.
I keep working my way South, to the other holes, but it is getting dark, and I am getting my clothes wet....:Singing In Rain:
I decide to turn around and hit the few spots, where I caught the fish, and see what happens.
Sure as -hit, I hook up to another Flatty;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140206_172742_zpsc98e33b7.jpg (http://s977.photobucket.com/user/gudgersfishing/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140206_172742_zpsc98e33b7.jpg.html)

My second legal for the evening, at 25" as well, in under an hours fishing time.
Well, I decided to take this one home with me...:Secret:

As I'm walking up the beach, Tim is walking towards me and I see he still has the LC...:Big Grin:
I ask how he did and he says he thinks he got a hit.
I'm pretty sure he did, I know that first hole was still holding...:Fishing Hole:
As we were walking back to our vehicles, he was trying to give the LC back to me...:Rolls Eyes:
I said keep it and keep practicing. In fact, I said I would be back tomorrow, if I didn't already have plans...:Cool:

Turned out to be a productive day for work, fishing and making a new friend...:Big Grin:

Have a Great Weekend everyone,

Robert
<><

Ifishtoolittle
02-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Great report Robert. Some new fishy spots, a new friend, and some butts' to go around. That sounds like a great day!

lunker-hunter209
02-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Robert,
I have a LC also and ive been trying to surf fish for 10 months now and i still have not catch anything. I live in costa mesa and i was wondering if you can teach me if your heading back out that area?

skunked4life
02-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Awesome report Robert! Glad to see you back in action my friend! Wow, not one but two lc's? That is super generous of you! You will be blessed again real soon. I can feel it! I hope I can get out of this funk I am in and get back to enjoying fishing soon. Thanks for the talk the other day.

Ken

bachiboy
02-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Let the slayage begin!:Big Grin: Glad to hear you made it out. I figured you'd be giving us a success story soon when you mentioned the structure you found on your recon trip. Kudos for helping the greenhorn out...he couldn't ask for a better teacher. Looking forward to hearing more of your success throughout the year!

Congrats!!!
Don

DockRat
02-07-2014, 05:49 AM
Thats getting her done. 5 dancing bananas report. :Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana:

All these guys not fishing and waiting for halibut season :LOL:
DR

Nipple Twister
02-07-2014, 06:07 AM
So damn cool Robert........awesome report......way to hunt them up and thx for sharing......... :Thumbs Up:

anchor3n1
02-07-2014, 06:59 AM
Turned out to be a productive day for work, fishing and making a new friend...:Big Grin:

Have a Great Weekend everyone,
<><

Hey Robert

What a great time. I dig your story:Razz: It had a little bit of everything -suspense, drama, action, thrilling... I laughed. I cried. Two thumbs up:Big Grin:

I hope you have a sequel soon, my friend.

take care,

Nick

TUNAVIC
02-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Great report and nice results on the halibut,really a cool thing the way you treated that fellow fisherman,that was a great example of the way we should all treat each other,very cool read and pics,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

tomar19
02-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Great job out there, thanks for the report. As a newb myself, it was great reading about you helping that guy out :Applause:.

PTN
02-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Great report Robert. You gained instant karma and got a second legal to take home for dinner :Cool:. Like the quote goes, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." That's of course if he doesn't get skunked :Skunk: :Big Grin:. Thanks for sharing and I need to get in on this race and catch my first legal for the year :Twisted:.

-Peter

The_Dude
02-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Great report Robert. that was very nice of you to give up two LC's. I love the brotherhood and sisterhood there seems to be with fishermen and women.

Also great going on the butts, still waiting for my first legal in the surf.

yakfish51
02-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the schooling Robert. I had a great time and learned a lot in a short amount of time. Looking forward to seeing you out there.

exfactor
02-07-2014, 01:26 PM
I did a seminar up here last nite for surf fishing. We have a upcoming perch tourney, and i offered to anyone to come along with me if they'd like. No one thought i was serious lol. Good job on the legals Roberto!

murrieta angler
02-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Great report Robert. Some new fishy spots, a new friend, and some butts' to go around. That sounds like a great day!

It was a nice time Bryan,,:Wink:
Robert
<><

Robert,
I have a LC also and ive been trying to surf fish for 10 months now and i still have not catch anything. I live in costa mesa and i was wondering if you can teach me if your heading back out that area?

With my work, it's usually a last minute thing.
I am getting more work, near the beach, in the coming months.
If I can remember , I will shhot you a PM.
Robert
<><

Awesome report Robert! Glad to see you back in action my friend! Wow, not one but two lc's? That is super generous of you! You will be blessed again real soon. I can feel it! I hope I can get out of this funk I am in and get back to enjoying fishing soon. Thanks for the talk the other day.

Ken

KEN!!!
Nice job this morning Bro!
Hope things are better on a personal level and you've figured some things out...:Cool:
Robert
<><

Let the slayage begin!:Big Grin: Glad to hear you made it out. I figured you'd be giving us a success story soon when you mentioned the structure you found on your recon trip. Kudos for helping the greenhorn out...he couldn't ask for a better teacher. Looking forward to hearing more of your success throughout the year!

Congrats!!!
Don

Hey Don,
Did you get out this morning for some Kimble action?!
It's been picking up down this way.
Look for some reports...:Smile:
Robert
<><

Thats getting her done. 5 dancing bananas report. :Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana:

All these guys not fishing and waiting for halibut season :LOL:
DR

Howdy DR,
I think the people are getting on board...:Secret:
Robert
<><

So damn cool Robert........awesome report......way to hunt them up and thx for sharing......... :Thumbs Up:

Where you been John?
I gave the intel and yet only 2 hit it up.....FOR 3 LEGALS!!! :Big Grin:

Hey Robert

What a great time. I dig your story:Razz: It had a little bit of everything -suspense, drama, action, thrilling... I laughed. I cried. Two thumbs up:Big Grin:

I hope you have a sequel soon, my friend.

take care,

Nick

Howdy Nick,
Great day at church this morning!
Heck, even the pastor threw in a halibut reference this morning...:Surprised:

Robert
<><

Great report and nice results on the halibut,really a cool thing the way you treated that fellow fisherman,that was a great example of the way we should all treat each other,very cool read and pics,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

I try to treat everyone equally Vic.
It just seems to be better that way...:Envious:
Robert
<><

Great job out there, thanks for the report. As a newb myself, it was great reading about you helping that guy out :Applause:.

Tomar,
You will find that most people, who hang out at the beach, are overall cool people.
It's something in the air, or water...:LOL:
Robert
<><

Great report Robert. You gained instant karma and got a second legal to take home for dinner :Cool:. Like the quote goes, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." That's of course if he doesn't get skunked :Skunk: :Big Grin:. Thanks for sharing and I need to get in on this race and catch my first legal for the year :Twisted:.

-Peter

Hey Peter,
I heard about this mornings trek...:Wink:
Glad you were able to make it down there.
Robert
<><

Great report Robert. that was very nice of you to give up two LC's. I love the brotherhood and sisterhood there seems to be with fishermen and women.

Also great going on the butts, still waiting for my first legal in the surf.

Just have to put your time in DUDE!
It will come and you will never forget it...:Wink:
Robert
<><

Thanks for the schooling Robert. I had a great time and learned a lot in a short amount of time. Looking forward to seeing you out there.

Hey Tim,
I see you remembered the site.
It was my pleasure to help you out.
I went back yesterday for some BSP, YFC and a short flatty.
BUT, my buddy was able to reel in a legal...:Big Grin:
I'm glad, since he made the 200 mile round trip...:EyePop:
See you in the surf,
Robert
<><

I did a seminar up here last nite for surf fishing. We have a upcoming perch tourney, and i offered to anyone to come along with me if they'd like. No one thought i was serious lol. Good job on the legals Roberto!

That's funny Mikey!!! :LOL:
I am going to put it out there this summer, at church, and see if anyone will join me..:Rolls Eyes:
The area down here is looking nice and I hope more sand is pulled out.
Robert
<><

dlmoo312
02-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Nice outing, Robert! :Big Grin:
Looks like the SWAT guys are already on a roll for 2014.
Can't wait to see what else the new year brings us!
Congrats on the legal! :Thumbs Up:

-Daniel

SP Dan
02-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Hi ya Robert,

Thanx for the text up dates, while I can't make it out there :Envious: .... yours and everyone else's texts and reports have kept my spirits aroused!
"Congrat's" once again on the pair of healthy legals Brotha Robert! :Thumbs Up:

Thanx for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Nipple Twister
02-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Where you been John?
I gave the intel and yet only 2 hit it up.....FOR 3 LEGALS!!! :Big Grin:

I got the info but just wasn't in the cards for me to get down there.......stayed close and got skunked........

yakfish51
02-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Thanks again Robert.

5150fishn
02-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Great report and pics! Way to help out Tim. He will never forget your knowledge and generosity. That right there is what it is all about!!! Sounds like a great day.

Wingnut
02-10-2014, 06:11 PM
... and that's why I'm proud to call you my S.W.A.T. Brother Roberto. :Big Grin:

Thanks for the intel... as you know, we did pretty good yesterday, at "the other" spot. :LOL:
Ran into Tim too, he says that you're da man! :Cool:
Report coming... :Wink:

2013 - S.W.A.T. Leader Board Final Standings!

1st Place - Biggest Halibut = 36.5" - Jaysuuun

1st Place - Most Legal Halibut = 22 - Wingnut

1st Place - Biggest White Sea Bass = 38.5" - Tesserz

1st Place - Most Legal White Sea Bass = 2 - Wingnut

1st Place - Biggest Calico Bass = 23.0" - Wingnut

1st Place - Biggest Barred Surf Perch = 17.0" - Bones

1st Place - Biggest Yellow Fin Croaker = 20.0" - Bones

1st Place - Biggest Corbina = 21.0" - Bones

Exotic "Rare" Catch Award = Corvina - Murrieta Angler

Oddest "Weird" Catch Award = Double Top-Sided Halibut - PTN

Outstanding Angler Sportsmanship Award = SP Dan

Most Lost LC Lures Award = 19 - Bachiboy

Misc. Categories:
Biggest Walleye Perch = 9.5" - Saltman
Biggest Shovelnose = 50.0" - Wingnut
Biggest Spotted Bass = 15.0" - Murrieta Angler
Biggest Sand Bass = 16.0" - Bones
Biggest Cabezon = 17.0" - Bones
Biggest Stripped Bass = 34.0" (3-way tie) Murrieta Angler, Bachiboy & SP Dan

murrieta angler
02-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Nice outing, Robert! :Big Grin:
Looks like the SWAT guys are already on a roll for 2014.
Can't wait to see what else the new year brings us!
Congrats on the legal! :Thumbs Up:

-Daniel

I once knew a guy named Daniel...:Razz:
Get better and get out there Bro.
Also, what's up with the PROSPECT?!?
Take Care Daniel,
Robert
<><

Hi ya Robert,

Thanx for the text up dates, while I can't make it out there :Envious: .... yours and everyone else's texts and reports have kept my spirits aroused!
"Congrat's" once again on the pair of healthy legals Brotha Robert! :Thumbs Up:

Thanx for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks Dan,
Get all better, than we'll tear it up...:Wink:
See you soon,
Robert
<><

I got the info but just wasn't in the cards for me to get down there.......stayed close and got skunked........

Well there you go! :Skunk:
It's all good John, there is plenty of time and when the WSB make a showing, I'll give you the lo-down...:Wink:
Robert
<><

Thanks again Robert.

Again,
You're welcomed Tim.
Robert
<><

Great report and pics! Way to help out Tim. He will never forget your knowledge and generosity. That right there is what it is all about!!! Sounds like a great day.

It was a pleasant evening, even with all the rain...:Singing In Rain:
Thanks for looking,
Robert
<><

... and that's why I'm proud to call you my S.W.A.T. Brother Roberto. :Big Grin:

Thanks for the intel... as you know, we did pretty good yesterday, at "the other" spot. :LOL:
Ran into Tim too, he says that you're da man! :Cool:
Report coming... :Wink:

Lead by example Brotha! :Big Grin:
Have a good, rest of the week,
Robert
<><