PDA

View Full Version : Brite Lake Tehachapi Derby

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
02-06-2014, 07:48 PM
FYI....Brite Lake in Tehachapi is having their annual derby April 19, 2014.
The lake will be closed to fishing the week before the derby and the entry fee will be $15.00 for adults and $10 for children.
Any kind of fish can win....bass, catfish, trout. There is usually prizes for limit weights, kids categories, and more.
Boats are allowed as long as they are powered by paddles, oars, or electric trolling motors.
I usually make it almost a full day of fun with friends and we bbq lunch after the derby.
Maybe see you there !
TTFM

EfrenM
02-06-2014, 08:00 PM
They allow float tubes?

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
02-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Yes, float tubes, kayaks, even inflatables are allowed

EfrenM
02-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Count me in!!!!!

FlyFish
04-04-2014, 02:59 PM
I dont want to burst any bubbles, ( I was hoping to wade or float tube as well) but you may want to check in with the Recreations Department on using a float tube. It may NOT be allowed...here is a link to an article that just recently posted in Tehachapi News. There is no wadding allowed, as the water is potable water for the town. http://www.tehachapinews.com/highlights/x2027872420/Brite-Lake-Fishing-Derby-to-be-held-April-19.

Wednesday, Apr 02 2014 06:00 AM
Brite Lake Fishing Derby to be held April 19
By Darla A. Baker, Tehachapi News

The Tehachapi Valley Recreation and Parks District will host its annual Fishing Derby at Brite Lake, located at 22902 Banducci Road, on Saturday, April 19.

A Technical Fishing Seminar will be held Saturday, April 5, from 9 to 11 a.m., at the West Park Activity Center. Preregistration will be available at the seminar or at the TVRPD District Office.

"We have two truckloads of rainbow trout," said LeAnn Williams, recreation supervisor for TVRPD.

"The lake is full, full, full, not only with water, but with fish as well."

The fishing derby opens at 7 a.m., with the weigh-in to commence at 1:01 p.m.

According to Williams, prizes to be awarded will total $1,000, with tagged fish up to $500.

All participants 16 years of age and older must have a valid California Sport Fishing License in their possession. Children under the age of 16 are not required to have a license to participate.

The cost for the derby is $15 for adults, $10 for children.

The Brite Valley Lake Aquatic Recreation Area is owned by the Tehachapi-Cummings County Water District and operated by TVRPD. It offers year-round recreation including camping, fishing, hiking and wildlife viewing, as well as other regional events.

The park offers both RV campground hook-ups and tent sites, as well as restrooms with showers. Picnic pavilions, fish cleaning stations and a dock are also available.

Because Brite Lake is a source of both domestic and agriculture water supplies for the greater Tehachapi area, swimming and wading is prohibited.

Sponsors of the upcoming derby include RST Cranes, Bank of the Sierra, Airstreams Renewables, Kmart, Amaysing Fish Bait & Tackle of Lancaster, Solar City and Albertsons.

Reservations for campsites for the derby only can be made by calling 822-3228. All other overnight camping is on a first-come, first-served basis, and reservations are not accepted.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
04-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Float tubes ARE allowed.........and YOU MUST WEAR WADERS.
Swimming and wading refers to playing in the water like a pool.
I've tubed Brite lake many times before with waders and no problems.
TTFM

bendopolo2004
04-05-2014, 09:03 AM
43811That is a typical misconception of people about Float Tubers. I guess they think we all free ball it or something. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am dry and toasty warm. Modern breathable waders are just fantastic, lightweight and comfortable. I even spent the dough for Viper fins just so I can do circles around my fishing buddies. I've tubed from Guatemala to Alaska. Looking forward to landing my first Marlin on one after having dumped two last year within 200 yards of Avalon Harbor, towing around live mackerel. I even got around the "No blow up toys" rule at Green Valley lake and Redondo Harbor. Bought a Hobie Float Cat. Now I'm considered a kayak....But no paddles. On the Green side, I can fish from my tube out of my VW that gets 30 mpg instead of the Truck towing the Center Console for 8 mpg. Plus dumping the boat is a guaranteed 200 dollar day. Not a cure all it is by far the best way to concentrate on a limited area. Plus when your fish jumps...you look up.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
04-13-2014, 07:56 AM
I've also heard that there will be tagged fish that are worth cash prizes too......
http://www.tvrpd.org/events/fishing-derby.html
TTFM