PDA

View Full Version : Any Yakers on Here?

ErikAllen17
02-04-2014, 11:14 AM
I'm noticing that this "Tubers and Yakers" section seems to be very skewed towards tubers... are there any yakers out there? I picked up a Malibu S14 this past Xmas and can't wait to get out on the water when the fishing picks up in Spring. I'm in Ventura County (Thousand Oaks) and if anyone from Santa Barbara to Marina Del Rey wants to go kayak fishing (or surf fishing for that matter); whether it be bays, breakwalls, or kelp beds... please give me a shout!

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Castaic_12-31-2013_03.jpg

ProdigyFishing
02-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Nice Yak! I fish a Hobie Revo 13, but I am down here in the OC. Have heard good things about Santa Barbara!

tomar19
02-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Native Mariner Propel 10 here. I'm in the Palm Springs area, so I have to travel when ever I take it out. Its spent the most time on Big Bear, and some on Perris and Lake Hemet. Its my goal to get it in the Salt this year, but I'm just getting started with light line surf fishing at the moment.

Cadillyak
02-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Yaker' here as well. Peddle a Hobie PA12. In San Diego, but travel when I can or if there is a hot bite. More salt than fresh but water is water.

ErikAllen17
02-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Wow, people from all over. I agree, water is water. I don't know the first thing about freshwater fishing (yet), but am always willing to learn. If anyone finds themselves up in the Ventura County area, send me a message. Maybe we can coordinate a fishing excursion for the day?!?!

5150fishn
02-05-2014, 09:25 AM
I have a Perception Angler 12'6" yak. I usually fish fresh water but once in a while hit the salt. If im ever in your area I'll hit you up.

Caliyak
02-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Wilderness System Tarpon 100 paddle kayaker in the Central Valley.

Cadillyak
02-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Can and will do. I know there tends to be a pretty decent WSB bite up there. Should be within the next month or two. May have to link up.

bassmeister
02-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Man I NEEEEEED to get my first White Sea Bass. Caught lots of everything else but haven't got that first ghost yet.
I'm down for a ghost hunt.

LbcLakers
02-06-2014, 05:50 AM
Malibu extreme 15', I fish long beach, pv, and huntington most of the time. Haven't fished in fresh water from the yak yet but I do want to try it this year.

The Lone Fisherman
02-10-2014, 08:47 PM
I fish off a Wilderness Tarpon T160 or Hobie Revo 13 in the IE - mostly Perris & Silverwood.

HELLSTER INC.
02-24-2014, 09:02 PM
I think there are plenty of us around, im in Wrightwood and i will go where the fish are! Just added a Jackson Cuda 14' to the fleet. Always looking to fish with fellow Yak Crazy Anglers!

918YAK
03-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Work in Westlake Village -

The gal just got me a Cuda 12' that I have yet to take out...planning on something this weekend if I am feeling better. I will PM you contact info.

LGOP
03-21-2014, 06:31 PM
Work in Westlake Village -

The gal just got me a Cuda 12' that I have yet to take out...planning on something this weekend if I am feeling better. I will PM you contact info.

Let me know how you like the cuda 12. I was looking at that yak.

918YAK
03-28-2014, 01:14 PM
I can't compare the Cuda to other Yak's as it is my first fishing kayak. I have been in other Yak's and i can tell you this is a very stable, quick, and "roomy" kayak. It tracks very straight even through wind. It is much lighter than many kayaks out there at this length. The seat is amazingly comfortable and after 3 hours I didn't have a sore ***. The center hatch is great for storage...had all my snacks right in there.

Jaysuuun
04-03-2014, 08:21 AM
The wifey and I just picked up a 14' Hobie Mirage tandem. It's pretty bare right now. Definitely needs some rod holders and eventually would like to get a fish finder for it. Plan to fish mostly salt, but I would love to catch some stripers from the yak. Might take it out for a test run this weekend.

918YAK
04-03-2014, 02:27 PM
where are you headed out to? I am planning to head out Saturday morning.

PTN
04-03-2014, 04:37 PM
The wifey and I just picked up a 14' Hobie Mirage tandem. It's pretty bare right now. Definitely needs some rod holders and eventually would like to get a fish finder for it. Plan to fish mostly salt, but I would love to catch some stripers from the yak. Might take it out for a test run this weekend.

What?! I'm going to pick up one this year too.. Hopefully sooner than later. Not a tandem though :LOL:.

Jaysuuun
04-04-2014, 08:27 AM
where are you headed out to? I am planning to head out Saturday morning.

Not sure yet. Probably one of the nearby harbors. NPH, HH, LAB

What?! I'm going to pick up one this year too.. Hopefully sooner than later. Not a tandem though :LOL:.

Sweeeet! Let me know when you get one. A tandem easily converts into a solo :Wink:

ErikAllen17
04-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Hoping to get out soon... this wind has been a real downer lately. Every time I get my gear ready the night before I wake up and it's blowing 10-15mph. Can't paddle in that... kind of like pissin' in the wind. Summer can't get here soon enough!

tamddo714
04-21-2014, 09:14 PM
I have a hobie outback, located in north orange county. I have only yak fished at NPH, HH, and Los Alamitos Bay. Still learning!

Mike_Aye
06-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Hey everyone, a couple months late I see from what the date on these post are saying. BUT I just purchased a Hobie Mirage Outback about 1 week ago, and I'm going to take it out to my local lakes first, then the harbor, then I want to hit up the kelp beds. I usually fish lakes, harbors, jetties, beaches all on foot, flippen jigs, LC's, swimbaits, plastics etc. - I fish anywhere in between Newport to Redondo, but I definitely want to hit up dana soon. Having a Kayak is going to be a really dope experience. Cant wait ... I live in Mira Loma, but i'm always driving places to fish, so hmu lets get out their on the yaks!

matt duarte
08-30-2014, 01:08 AM
just got myself a yak a few weeks ago! took it to mammoth this past week.. itchin to get some bass or take to the harbors!
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/IMG_39471_zps17fc4c4f.jpg

evosamurai
08-30-2014, 05:01 PM
what kind of kayak is that ^^^

matt duarte
08-30-2014, 06:30 PM
its from bass pro shops its called a ascend fs12t its a awesome yak! easily can stand and sit on it.. very stable and lots of space!!

Basspass
12-11-2014, 08:10 PM
I'm noticing that this "Tubers and Yakers" section seems to be very skewed towards tubers... are there any yakers out there? I picked up a Malibu S14 this past Xmas and can't wait to get out on the water when the fishing picks up in Spring. I'm in Ventura County (Thousand Oaks) and if anyone from Santa Barbara to Marina Del Rey wants to go kayak fishing (or surf fishing for that matter); whether it be bays, breakwalls, or kelp beds... please give me a shout!

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Castaic_12-31-2013_03.jpg

Hey Erik,

Never too late...? I hope. :Big Grin: Looking at this thread you might be the closest to me, geographically. I live in the Valley. Malibu kayaks pro explorer. I'm much more experienced with freshwater. I noticed you're on the lagoon in that picture you posted.
Looking to get into some harbors and fish the salt. The castaic lagoon is a total nightmare and more expensive to launch on than any harbor out there.

To anyone who would want to kayak fish with a partner, I would be down for a trip to MDR or king harbor in Redondo. You guys can message me anytime.

shinbob
12-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Hey Erik,

Never too late...? I hope.

I believe you're a bit too late. Read the guy's post history. He had an absolutely hair-raising encounter with a great white, swore off kayak fishing literally that same day, and sold his yak immediately afterwards. Probably hasn't gone within 20 miles of the ocean since...

ZugBug1313
12-11-2014, 08:52 PM
I just picked up a wilderness system thresher 140 and took it up to Big Bear over Thanksgiving week. I hail from Orange County and I am freshwater only but want to get into salt water fishing.

Basspass
12-14-2014, 01:03 AM
I believe you're a bit too late. Read the guy's post history. He had an absolutely hair-raising encounter with a great white, swore off kayak fishing literally that same day, and sold his yak immediately afterwards. Probably hasn't gone within 20 miles of the ocean since...
Is that the one where the guy wasn't gonna go, but decided last minute to join his buddies somewhere around big sur? I think I remember reading a post like that.

PokerFish
12-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Hey Erik,

Never too late...? I hope. :Big Grin: Looking at this thread you might be the closest to me, geographically. I live in the Valley. Malibu kayaks pro explorer. I'm much more experienced with freshwater. I noticed you're on the lagoon in that picture you posted.
Looking to get into some harbors and fish the salt. The castaic lagoon is a total nightmare and more expensive to launch on than any harbor out there.

To anyone who would want to kayak fish with a partner, I would be down for a trip to MDR or king harbor in Redondo. You guys can message me anytime.

I live in Thousand Oaks and just picked up a Malibu Stealth 12. I'm new to kayaks but have float tubed a lot. I would love to start hitting the local harbors or lakes.

If a group of you guys are going out or someone wants a kayak partner, shoot me a PM.