PDA

View Full Version : Ground Hog Superbowl Sunday Slay Time

DMS
02-03-2014, 01:20 PM
I was tied up cutting drums on my newest song on Saturday, so I didn't get out until Sunday. After reports from TO, Fishinone and Bassfan that things seem a bit pickier after the cold front, my expectations were a bit modest from last week, but still the wind and rain seemed to be called for later in the afternoon.

Lulu and I got to the lake a bit after opening and saw on the list a bit of a light turnout, which is good. We launched and headed for the spot and set up. With an assortment of weights and baits, we set up. Nothing happened very fast and the finder was not really showing lots of holding fish, but I had confidence that my spot would attract them through the day.

It was cold, but nothing like our east coast friends are dealing with... and we had warm clothes. But there was NO WIND!!!! that was so cool! The lake was quiet and peaceful. Lulu dozed off and I got concentrating on the tips of the rods. After a bit, we got a customer and I filled the well with water and crossed my fingers that we would start slaying.

A bit later, another rod went off and Lulu was on a really good one. She is really getting better and better and playing those fish and she did a great job of letting the drag and the rod do the work. She kept clear of the engine and anchor rope and soon she had a beautiful bit striper to net. I was watching very closely to make sure that the hazards didn't result in a farm job, but was holding my small net. It was not easy, but I got her in the net after the first attempt failed as she was not going in the little net without a fight. Thats why I have two nets... next time I will make sure to err on the side of the big net. I had to get some photos. The fish was 7# and 28".

The first photo turned out to prove that the fish was still kicking and protesting!!! ITS WIGGLING!!!!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/mythreesticks/IMG_2568_zpsc32cb6d6.jpg

Another photo for the beauty shot!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/mythreesticks/IMG_2571_zpsdf780d8b.jpg

I got a 4.5# after a while and we picked away at some dinks, mostly on the lightest line. I was glad that 7# fish hit 4# line as the 2# line would have been something.
We fishing on until the wind kicked up and headed in around noon so we could clean up in time to watch the game. We took a few more photos including a deck shot.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/mythreesticks/IMG_2572_zps6060cc08.jpg

What a great weekend! A couple Chinese new year parties, adding drums to my new song (and recutting the bass), Tai Chi, some nice fishing and big stripers, Super Bowl (and seeing a commercial I handled legal for air during the game) and most of all some great times with Lulu!

Hope the bit hangs in there!!!

DMS

TroutOnly
02-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Way to slay lulu. Sorry Dan. Lol.

DMS
02-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Way to slay lulu. Sorry Dan. Lol.

No worries, it was really cool seeing how happy she was and to get rewarded for trooping out there in the cold. i was smiling bigger than her. Just glad I didn't fall in netting that fish like that guy last week, especially trying to get that big thing in the smaller net. She would have laughed at me for weeks.

fishinone
02-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Nice slay Dan and Lulu.

Lulu looks like she's really happy with her fish!

DMS
02-03-2014, 03:11 PM
I love the action shot with the fish wiggling and protesting. She is not used to holding them while they are still kicking, breathing or wiggling. I have a few good shots of her when the fish is jumping while she is trying to hold it up for a photo. I got a real good one of her with a dorado in Mexico that was still a bit hot!

Nice slay Dan and Lulu.

Lulu looks like she's really happy with her fish!

Bassfan
02-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Looks like you managed to "drum" up some nice fish.
I love how calm the water looks.
If Mr. Stripey saw his shadow do we get 6 more weeks of windy winter??

DMS
02-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Looks like you managed to "drum" up some nice fish.
I love how calm the water looks.
If Mr. Stripey saw his shadow do we get 6 more weeks of windy winter??

You are now our resident stand up fish comedian. I think Lulu's striper was a broncos fan

Stumpknocker
02-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Nice fish and great photo of her with the flailing striper!