PDA

View Full Version : Saturday at the duct

wildlife
02-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Started out at Cadet RD. at sunrise , once we parked you could hear the water moving... sounded like big waves crashing . We fished below the gate throwing flukes -rat l traps-swimbaits & Storm kickin stick , even walked down the bank to calmer areas but still no takers . Went above the gate and fished a while walking up the line still no bites , you could hear the gate closing then we worked our way back to it . I was working the kickin stick and could see it about three feet below the surface , the a fish took a swipe at it then another but no hook up . Fished there for awhile then went back below the gate , the flow was a lot slower and tried there for a little bit but no more bites . My buddy said when we were above the gate he walked past the bridge and he got bit on a swimbait . So we thought maybe we were doing something right and it was time to move . We fished a few more spots and ended the day by the golf course . There were several people fishing bait but only 3-4 guys were getting bit , and all were short with maybe one keeper . Fished there till just after sunset , on a couple casts I would free spool to let it sink and when I reeled it in, my fluke was balled up and hooked itself. So after that when my fluke hit the water I put the reel in gear thinking a fish balled up my bait and I missed two fish , not sure though but was casting about 6'-10 from the other side . Any way this was only my second time to the duct and eventually we'll figure it out , but like they say "you gotta go to know" .

DieselFixer
02-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Started out at Cadet RD. at sunrise , once we parked you could hear the water moving... sounded like big waves crashing . We fished below the gate throwing flukes -rat l traps-swimbaits & Storm kickin stick , even walked down the bank to calmer areas but still no takers . Went above the gate and fished a while walking up the line still no bites , you could hear the gate closing then we worked our way back to it . I was working the kickin stick and could see it about three feet below the surface , the a fish took a swipe at it then another but no hook up . Fished there for awhile then went back below the gate , the flow was a lot slower and tried there for a little bit but no more bites . My buddy said when we were above the gate he walked past the bridge and he got bit on a swimbait . So we thought maybe we were doing something right and it was time to move . We fished a few more spots and ended the day by the golf course . There were several people fishing bait but only 3-4 guys were getting bit , and all were short with maybe one keeper . Fished there till just after sunset , on a couple casts I would free spool to let it sink and when I reeled it in, my fluke was balled up and hooked itself. So after that when my fluke hit the water I put the reel in gear thinking a fish balled up my bait and I missed two fish , not sure though but was casting about 6'-10 from the other side . Any way this was only my second time to the duct and eventually we'll figure it out , but like they say "you gotta go to know" .

Even with no hookup its better than mowing the yard or doing honey do"s .Nice report thanks

cutbait
02-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the report. Was that you I may have run into Sat morning?

Keep in mind it is Feb 1 and fish are not aggressive. Your baits are reaction baits.

Slow it down

wildlife
02-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Before we went to the golf course area we only seen one other fisherman , he was in a black jeep and I think it was by lake station rd. but not sure . But when we were at Cadet rd. a guy pulled up in a white car for a minute then left.

Thanks for the tip.