PDA

View Full Version : Low Tide SWAT goes Shallow

Which Way Out
01-31-2014, 06:56 AM
Exfactor aka Mikey and I hit the beach, literally! Yesterday.

Can you say Clam Chowder during the Super Bowl!!!!!:Cool:

Hey Mikey thanks for turning me onto the fun, more fun than Perch... btw how sore are you today....:Sad:

WWO

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/a53d1853-c5b1-4818-baa4-03cd61f0ba5e_zpsae466fd7.jpg (http://s769.photobucket.com/user/WhichWayOut/media/a53d1853-c5b1-4818-baa4-03cd61f0ba5e_zpsae466fd7.jpg.html)

ErikAllen17
01-31-2014, 07:07 AM
Those are HUGE!!!

Being filter feeders, and with our water quality being so questionable the past few years, are those safe to eat?

anchor3n1
01-31-2014, 12:40 PM
Those are pretty looking clams. My girls would go nuts over them shells:EyePop:

Looks like a fun time.

Nick

bachiboy
01-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Wow!:EyePop: Nice score guys! Glad to see you've gotten out to the sand again Bill!:Wink:

Enjoy!!!!
Don

Wingnut
01-31-2014, 07:01 PM
Master Yoda Mikey gave me a call last week to see if I could join you guys for this Clamming session...
Of course, getting away during the week is near impossible for me. :Crying: Come to think of it, getting away on the weekends hasn't been any easier either, lol :mad:
Enjoy the Clam chowder on Super Bowl Sunday. :Envious: Go Broncos!

Happy Lunar New Year!

Chúc mừng năm mới!

2013 - S.W.A.T. Leader Board Final Standings!

1st Place - Biggest Halibut = 36.5" - Jaysuuun

1st Place - Most Legal Halibut = 22 - Wingnut

1st Place - Biggest White Sea Bass = 38.5" - Tesserz

1st Place - Most Legal White Sea Bass = 2 - Wingnut

1st Place - Biggest Calico Bass = 23.0" - Wingnut

1st Place - Biggest Barred Surf Perch = 17.0" - Bones

1st Place - Biggest Yellow Fin Croaker = 20.0" - Bones

1st Place - Biggest Corbina = 21.0" - Bones

Exotic "Rare" Catch Award = Corvina - Murrieta Angler

Oddest "Weird" Catch Award = Double Top-Sided Halibut - PTN

Outstanding Angler Sportsmanship Award = SP Dan

Most Lost LC Lures Award = 19 - Bachiboy

Misc. Categories:
Biggest Walleye Perch = 9.5" - Saltman
Biggest Shovelnose = 50.0" - Wingnut
Biggest Spotted Bass = 15.0" - Murrieta Angler
Biggest Sand Bass = 16.0" - Bones
Biggest Cabezon = 17.0" - Bones
Biggest Stripped Bass = 34.0" (3-way tie) Murrieta Angler, Bachiboy & SP Dan

Nipple Twister
01-31-2014, 07:50 PM
Niiiiiiiiice........... the fishin gets slow you improvise, lemonade outta lemons as they say.......or is it "Chowder" outta "Clams"? :LOL::ROFL::Applause:

Well Done Gentlemen........:Bug Eyes::Worship::Bug Eyes: Thx for sharing.........GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which Way Out
01-31-2014, 08:51 PM
Those are HUGE!!!

Being filter feeders, and with our water quality being so questionable the past few years, are those safe to eat?

Yeah Erik I hear what your saying. But to tell you the truth I would much rather eat something for our waters than some others. Pollution sure we have, however much less than most places. With No recent storms I feel quite confident with what comes from our waters.

Those are pretty looking clams. My girls would go nuts over them shells:EyePop:

Looks like a fun time.

Nick

Nick its a right of passage along the coast. Get your girls out this weekend and give it shot. Just remember to Reset the clams in the sand deep enough to stay put if not of legal size. Our best guess, 1 in 50 were legal. So its imperative to be sure the shorts get a chance to grow. So many were just an 1/8" short...

Wow!:EyePop: Nice score guys! Glad to see you've gotten out to the sand again Bill!:Wink:

Enjoy!!!!
Don

Thanks Don. We got into, onto and all over the sand. Feeling it today that's for sure.
If there were no size limit we could of been done in 15 minutes. But I am glad to have done it. It's better that perch fishing but a lot of work.

Master Yoda Mikey gave me a call last week to see if I could join you guys for this Clamming session...
Of course, getting away during the week is near impossible for me. :Crying: Come to think of it, getting away on the weekends hasn't been any easier either, lol :mad:
Enjoy the Clam chowder on Super Bowl Sunday. :Envious: Go Broncos!

Happy Lunar New Year!

Chúc mừng năm mới!

Arthur your always invited you know that.
This was quite a bit different than that last clamming adventure that's for sure. Fun and exciting, but not the same without you there. Lots of back breaking poking and digging. It took a few minutes to clue in on whats a keeper and whats not. So many so close to the legal size but just a tad small. That beach was a hot spot with maybe 25 clammers out on a weekday.:Shocked: Never the less we got enough to chow on.
Fish and Game..ooops Wildlife, was there keeping an eye on things. Good to see him, however we didn't get a chance to chat.
Take care my friend and I am with ya on the Broncos, and a Happy New Year to you as well.

Niiiiiiiiice........... the fishin gets slow you improvise, lemonade outta lemons as they say.......or is it "Chowder" outta "Clams"? :LOL::ROFL::Applause:

Well Done Gentlemen........:Bug Eyes::Worship::Bug Eyes: Thx for sharing.........GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's up John.
Only thing better would have been if we could drive our Jeeps on the beach. I miss doing that in Mexico. Maybe with way things are going down there these days, we can do a road trip. Get Robert and some of the gang and hit the beaches for a week.
Thanks for the nice words. I am chowder here.

WWO

smokehound
02-01-2014, 12:41 AM
As we've had little rain, it should be quite safe to eat them right now.

Lol it sucks when they're spawning, and in the shallows.. Those suckers sure do smart when the waves dump 40 lbs of them on your feet.

Those little bean clams are edible too.. They'd be a great addition to a stew, not as the main ingredient, but to give a nice clam flavor to a broth

Which Way Out
02-01-2014, 03:17 PM
As we've had little rain, it should be quite safe to eat them right now.

Lol it sucks when they're spawning, and in the shallows.. Those suckers sure do smart when the waves dump 40 lbs of them on your feet.

Those little bean clams are edible too.. They'd be a great addition to a stew, not as the main ingredient, but to give a nice clam flavor to a broth

What little bean clams are you talking about? We got some Cockles last year that are much smaller then Pismos.

Up-date.
The clams aren't going into a chowder after all. Cleaned and food processed with celery, onion, garlic, crackers, salt and pepper. Spooned back into their shells and baked, then topped with a little sprinkle of Sharp Cheese and then broiled to brown the top..
Photos soon.

WWO

midgettosser1
02-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Nice work. I still need to try my hand at clamming.

Which Way Out
02-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Stuffed the Clams for a Super Bowl Snack and some Smoked Salmon

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/sa_zpsdd30ee68.jpg (http://s769.photobucket.com/user/WhichWayOut/media/sa_zpsdd30ee68.jpg.html)

murrieta angler
02-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Nice Bill!!
That food looks "TASTY"!
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

skunked4life
02-11-2014, 06:42 AM
Ooh...you know I'm a foodie Bill, send some my way please! The clams turned out great in those pictures! Man, I am missing your famous smoked salmon now!!!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken

5150fishn
02-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Sounds like a great change of pace! Never been clamming but it sounds like a blast. Thanks for the report and pics.