PDA

View Full Version : A Change of Roles...

ErikAllen17
01-29-2014, 08:44 PM
I've been fishing my whole life. My father took me fishing as a kid. I have fond memories of getting up early in the morning and heading out to Lake Piru to fish for trout. We would drop a line, sit in a chair and talk all morning long about what was going on in our lives. Ahhh... childhood memories of fishing. But, what I DON'T have any memories of... was actually catching any fish. So today, I told my dad I was taking him fishing for a change. He was a little scared because he has never fished in the ocean and hasn't held a fishing pole in over 20 years! It was time for the student, to become the teacher! But this time, I would teach him the RIGHT way and swore I would put him on some fish! He was skeptical, but excited to spend quality time with me.

We headed out to an easy beach to fish at. One with parking close to the sand, a bathroom and showers and picnic tables with benches so my dad could rest (he has 3 ruptured disks and is awaiting {avoiding} corrective back surgery). We hit the beach around 9:00am and met up with my buddy Nick (Anchor3n1) who arrived at grey light and had been slaying the perch all morning. I loaded up a line with crack for my dad and I threw the LC.

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Sycamore_01-29-2014_01.jpg

After about 15 minutes of fishing, I hear the squeals of delight that can only come from hooking a fish! I turn around as he's landing a decent size perch. We didn't tape it out, but it looked to be about 10-12 inches. You can hear me say 12-13, but upon closer inspection, it wasn't quite that big.

http://youtu.be/7r-uwRgd1dQ

And then another about 10 minutes later. This one is a little bit smaller, maybe 9-10". Still a pretty healthy sized perch and definitely a good catch for his second surf fish ever!

http://youtu.be/uoKUnpV3a2s

Then about 2 minutes after we release his second catch, I hook into my 1 and only for the day... a 15" skunkbuster! W00T!

http://youtu.be/g0OLV5W9eyo

The bite died down after that... we fished for another hour and change with nothing but a few taps on the line. I can tell his back was starting to hurt and that all he could think about was the (un)cozy park bench about 30 yards away. Then all of a sudden, my dad yells out that he has another one. My camera battery had died at this point, but he beaches a big female BSP. This was his best yet, so I taped it out. Miss Piggy measured in at a hair under 13". With a smile on his face, he says, "let's get back out there... there ARE fish still out there!". He was rejuvenated... much like fishing does. He didn't care about his back at this point as he casts out again and again. But, by 11:30am, the bite had completely died down. He needed to sit, but insisted I continue to fish. I wasn't there for me... I was there for him. I (lied and) said I was was tired too and would actually like to pack it up and go have lunch with him. He didn't argue.

It was an awesome day fishing with my father and with Nick. The man who has been my idol my whole life, was now looking to me for guidance. I put a man who hasn't fished in over 20 years on the sand, put a pole in his hand and said, "If you do as I say... YOU WILL CATCH FISH TODAY!" And he did... he outfished me 3:1.

I was a hero today... I even saved Nick from sure death as the current overtook him and was washing him out to sea. I found a phone booth, donned my superhero outfit and flew to his aid just in the "NICK of time"! :ROFL:

http://youtu.be/T9WwEAWk1Ec

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/Sycamore_01-29-2014_02.jpg

anchor3n1
01-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Wow I got the word last night that I could take a early morning run down to our "go to" AO for a little surf and sand action. It was nearly perfect - HT at 7:35, no wind & surf supposedly lower than it's been in days (actually when I got there this morning, the surf was still pretty rough). Plus my buddy Erik and his Dad were gunna meet me there. Erik told me his dad had fished in 20 years. So I knew that today he would not only throw a line in the water but Erik whose become a fish magnet would get him on some fish. I couldn't wait to see his dad's face when he hooks his first fish in 20 years and IN THE SURF! How cool is that:Envious:

I find out that I have to be at a meeting so I could only hang with Erik and his dad for about an hour (they were going to arrive at the AO around 9am and I had to be on the road around 10). Still cool though.

Anyway I get to the AO little later than I hoped (it was hard to get out of bed this morning). I decided I really wanted to have fun with my UL outfit today so I fished grubs and 3 in swim baits but I couldn't get anything. it was frustrating. It was my usual spot where there's always BSP. Huh??? OK so I pull out my LC outfit cuz they always hit that here and sure enough 2nd cast WAMMO fish on. So I continued with the LC so I could get some video (below) until Erik arrived.

When Erik and his dad Carl showed up they joined me on the rocks but Erik wisely pointed out just how treacherous it was today (check out the video). So he and his dad moved down the beach to the much safer (or at least for them - I bailed on the sand and Erik pulled me out of the whitewash). I agreed and moved over to join them.

I have to say it was a very awesome scene seeing Erik fishing with his dad and seeing them both landing fish (What a great way to build closeness and new memories bro!). Erik's dad Carl is a very warm happy person and it's no puzzle now to understand where Erik got it from!!!

It is always such a great day when I get to hang out and fish with my buddy Erik. But today was even better cuz I got to meet Carl:Smile:

Here's the video. Hope you like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2_l0_pF6Ck

Enjoy fishing but value your relationships - their priceless!

Nick

TUNAVIC
01-30-2014, 09:03 AM
Father and Son action "priceless"your a good Son! WTG

Cya Tuna Vic

bachiboy
01-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Very cool report and videos Erik! I keep thinking that I'd get my dad out there again one of these days but I think it's gonna take one of the grandkids to finally get him back out in the sand. We grew up fishing the surf but somewhere along the way he lost his taste for it...probably got sick of waking up early just to chase us kids around.:LOL: Looks like your pops enjoyed himself and get into some nice pigs. Looking forward to seeing more of the father/son trips in the future!

Nick,
Great video work! Watch your step out there.:Wink: Been there, done that...never a whole lot of fun getting rolled.

Awesome job guys!
Don

snapshot
01-30-2014, 11:25 PM
Nothin like the old guys teachin us how its done. I took my dad out last October for his birthday, needless to say he was a little apprehensive but I assured him he would catch fish. The old man landed a few perch and a short butt while me and my buddy got skunked. when I noticed him stretching out on the beach(also avoiding back surgery) I knew it was time to call it, grab lunch and venture home. That feeling of taking the old man out fishing, the same way he's always done is a rewarding and amazing experience. only i wish i put him on fish like you were able too. Great report man.

Wingnut
01-31-2014, 06:50 PM
Very cool Erik... these memories are priceless. :Big Grin:
Keep up the good work out there.
Man, I gotta free myself up somehow to join the fun.
Probably only been out there twice in the last couple of months. :Neutral:

ErikAllen17
02-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Man, I gotta free myself up somehow to join the fun.
Probably only been out there twice in the last couple of months. :Neutral:

This is simply unacceptable. Hahaha. Just give me or Nick a call and we'll take you out!

Homefish
02-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Great job get'n your Dad out on the sand catch'n some fish! I too have been fish'n my whole life, thanks to my Father. I started surf fish'n about 3 years ago & got my old man into it shortly thereafter. He too hadn't fished much in awhile, last time be'n when he retired in '06 or '07 & my brother & I surprised him w/fish'n trip to Alaska

Now, 3 years later, he's usually out there at least once/week w/me or my brother, or sometimes even on his own!
Now I just have to get him off the crack(gulp 2" sandwowm)! I gave him 3 LC's for Xmas, so we'll see what happen's!
Later,
Homefish
(Ps, My Dad's also got a bad back. He likes to carry a small chair(he hooks it to his backpack)w/him so he can sit a bit & rest his back)

Gonefishing88
02-14-2014, 06:09 AM
Great post there's nothing like fishing with your dad. That's what I'm looking forward to this week. He looked like he was having a blast. Your a feat man for talking him into getting back out there. Good luck to you guys in the future for many father son trips. I love the videos too I need to get one of those gopros so bad lol. Those perch are a lot bigger than our lake perch out my way. Can't wait take it easy guys.

fishshep
02-16-2014, 08:35 PM
Great report, nice to read and see .:Smile:

benichi
02-16-2014, 09:44 PM
that is awesome guys nice job...

Viejo
02-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Frame the picture of you and your Dad in the surf and treasure the time you spent with your Dad.

Raimond42
02-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Father son time never gets old, unless one is a teenager.