PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice

Mccl9in
01-29-2014, 09:41 AM
hey guys just joined the forum and I currently live in Santa Clarita. I am wanting to start to do some surf fishing for perch what kind of of rod/reel do u guys recommend? keep in mind that I would like something affordable, don't want to break the bank. is there any benefit from using a spinning reel, conventional, or bait caster. what size, power, and action rod should I go with? I know there's so many different opinions people have just want to have some decent gear to get going. I know that crack, and grubs are good bait to use for perch. but is there anything else u guys can recommend. also what line lb test should I go with and do I want to use mono of braid. sorry for all the questions.

mainly will be fishing around the Ventura and SB area. since its close to me.

Double A
01-29-2014, 10:00 AM
If you end up going the spinning route...
I have an 8'6" Lamiglas I could sell you on the cheap.
I'm right around the block from you... Castaic

murrieta angler
01-29-2014, 05:48 PM
If you are targeting perch, get a rod rated at least 6 pounds. Length doesn't matter, since the perch are in close.
As far as a reel, the easiest to start out with would be a spinning reel.
You can pick up a 1000 - 2500 combo, at Sports Chalet for about 20-40 bucks. (You can also look on the classifieds, on this site as well, for some good deals)
When using line, go with 6lb in the winter months and then up to 10, in the other. Mono if no structure around, braid if fishing in a high rock area.
When you get better at the fishing part, and you get a few more bucks, then consider getting some better grade gear.
Good Luck,
Robert
<><

Mccl9in
01-29-2014, 07:51 PM
If you are targeting perch, get a rod rated at least 6 pounds. Length doesn't matter, since the perch are in close.
As far as a reel, the easiest to start out with would be a spinning reel.
You can pick up a 1000 - 2500 combo, at Sports Chalet for about 20-40 bucks. (You can also look on the classifieds, on this site as well, for some good deals)
When using line, go with 6lb in the winter months and then up to 10, in the other. Mono if no structure around, braid if fishing in a high rock area.
When you get better at the fishing part, and you get a few more bucks, then consider getting some better grade gear.
Good Luck,
Robert
<><

Thanks Robert for the info. I set aside about $150 for both the reel and rod! Do u think I. An get something decent for that price? And where is a better place to look sports chalet/ dicks/ or online at Bps or cabelas

Which Way Out
01-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Pretty much what Robert said.

But if you already have an existing freshwater Trout rig that your not to concerned about, you could go with that. The reason I say that is, the Saltwater and sand will wreck havoc on the equipment. Be certain to flush all your rods, reels and anything else with Fresh water as soon after a trip as you can. I carry an on board water system in my Jeep that I rigged up. Some use a simple 1 quart spray bottle and a dry towel each time with great results. Just do it each time.....

Good luck
WWO

Mccl9in
01-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Pretty much what Robert said.

But if you already have an existing freshwater Trout rig that your not to concerned about, you could go with that. The reason I say that is, the Saltwater and sand will wreck havoc on the equipment. Be certain to flush all your rods, reels and anything else with Fresh water as soon after a trip as you can. I carry an on board water system in my Jeep that I rigged up. Some use a simple 1 quart spray bottle and a dry towel each time with great results. Just do it each time.....

Good luck
WWO

Thanks WWO will defiantly keep that in mind I'll probably end up like u said just keeping a water jug in the bed of the truck to do as soon as I'm done fishing for the day! Thanks for alm the help and info gta I really appreciate it

Which Way Out
01-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Thanks WWO will defiantly keep that in mind I'll probably end up like u said just keeping a water jug in the bed of the truck to do as soon as I'm done fishing for the day! Thanks for alm the help and info gta I really appreciate it

Anytime.

WWO

ErikAllen17
01-30-2014, 07:52 AM
I went the Big 5 / Sport Chalet way first as well. I spent about $40-50 on the rod/reel combo, used it for a couple trips and then brought it into a tackle store to have the crappy mono changed out for braid. After spending another $25 for that, I soon outgrew my "training wheels" setup and more or less gave it away. That's $65-75 that I could've had to use towards something nicer. I would recommend you don't make the same mistake.

If you're interested in something nice that won't break the bank, I suggest getting something used off of Craigslist or eBay. FYI, I have a nice spinning setup that would work well for you and work for many years if you take good care of it. I have a Shimano Symetre 3000FL (cost $100 new and I still have the box) spooled with 20lb Izorline braid (cost $25). I used it on 2 different Shimano Clarus rods. I have an 8'6" (cost $100 new) and a 10' rod (cost $110 new). Not sure of the specs off hand, but if you're interested, I could easily get those when I get home from work today. Each piece is in great shape and is only about 5 months old. I take really good care of my things, plus it's my understanding that Shimano has lifetime warranty of its products. If there is ever a problem, you pay a small fee (something like $20-$30) and Shimano will refurb it back to brand new specs or replace it all together.

I recently switched over to Shimano Curado baitcasting reels, so had to buy all new reels and rods, which means I don't really use my spinning outfit as much. I can sell you the Symetre 3000FL reel and the Clarus rod of your choice for $160 if you would like. If you're interested in it, please send me a private message on the boards here.

murrieta angler
01-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Hello again,
If you decide to go with Eriks gear, get the 8'6" rod.
The 10'er is mainly for bait & wait type of fishing.
Robert
<><

...and it's a good deal : )

ErikAllen17
01-30-2014, 09:04 AM
The 10'er is mainly for bait & wait type of fishing.

Thanks for the kudos Robert... but I'd have to say that what you said about the the 10' pole is not true. It's a light line setup, definitely not suitable for wait and bait. In fact, it's only rated for up to 3/4 oz if I recall correctly. I bought the 8'6" first and then wanting more distance from my casts, bought the 10' rod. I used it to throw my LC and it worked fantastic at getting it out there a good 20-30 feet farther than with my 8'6" rod. I would say the 8'6" is more suited for all around fishing where the 10' is for the same, but for casting lighter lures & weights farther than the other rod.

DockRat
01-31-2014, 06:32 AM
Just use what you have. No need to go out and buy gear. Gulp camo worms work good. 4 - 10 lb mono will catch fish. People get very picky on gear. NOT Necessary.
When I saw kids hand line fishing in Chile for brown trout and catching them it opened my eyes to alternative methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLmfoSpTP4Y

smokehound
02-03-2014, 07:39 AM
Much like an artist, the real skill and technique comes from you, and not the gear.

That said, the higher-end gear DOES perform better, but as an extension of your body, it will really only be as effective as you are.

But then again, halibut and surf-perch are very very unintelligent fish. lol I almost feel as if catching them is unfair.