PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to keep fish out of nph

bighuff
09-26-2007, 07:16 PM
i heard there was som kind of chemical spill or something a few weeks ago and wanted to know if i was going to get sick or not

FishBandit
09-26-2007, 07:31 PM
I would recommend not consuming too much bay/surf caught fish in the OC/LA area. Places like the Balboa bay are flagged with high bacteria levels each year.

Here's a reference:
http://www.ocbeachinfo.com/downloads/reports/2006oceanreport.pdf

Just type 'Balboa' in the search query to make browsing easier. Peace

theBandit

Troutman65
09-26-2007, 08:11 PM
It was fuel that was spilled into the harbor. I would not eat anything that was caught out of NPBH. The link in the post above is not working for some reason.

Troutman65

spiceguy
09-27-2007, 09:15 AM
It won't kill ya once in a while. I ate fish from the harbor about 25yrs ago, but not since then... :wink:

one_leg
09-27-2007, 09:40 AM
What the hay, you only live once, right? Pass the Wasabi please, would Ya?

Make sure to wash it down with a little Sterno just to be safe. :food:

One_Leg

ThemBastards
09-27-2007, 11:14 AM
You can bet your bottom dollar that people eat fish out of there every day of the year.

FishBandit
09-27-2007, 03:56 PM
fixed the link...

thebandit

Funjunkie74
09-27-2007, 05:09 PM
It won't kill ya once in a while. I ate fish from the harbor about 25yrs ago, but not since then... :wink:

Do you still glow in the dark?? :wink:

willis949
09-27-2007, 05:26 PM
The thing is if you cook the fish you are not going to have any problems.Most people filet the fish and unless you pan fry the whole fish it is more safe than the chicken that you buy from the market when it is cooked properly.

KaliDawgFan
09-27-2007, 05:42 PM
I sure as hell wouldn't

sansou
09-27-2007, 05:45 PM
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/homer5.gif

Arggghhh.....NPH croaker....

valhalla_1_2000
09-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Wow Willis 949, thanks for that hot tip, I'll never worry about eating fish from the toxic, scum infested beaches of Los Angeles County ever again.

willis949
09-27-2007, 10:33 PM
I personally haven't eaten one fish that I have caught in the bay and probably never will.Every FOB down there isn't fishing for sport though.They are catchin dinner and as far as Valhalla goes nobody threw you a bone.I'll tell you what,next time you are bored and decide to post a stupid comment,DONT

jplee3
09-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Hey calm down, ladies! PLEASE! :D

But on that note, I probably wouldn't eat anything caught out of NPH either. I know it's true that *some* people do eat the fish [and even BATRAY WINGS!] out of there... and it also seems a majority people who actually eat the fish don't have licenses either, so I guess they end up getting what they paid for. Some people call it a matter of survival. But I'd rather get my fish from Ranch 99 if that were the case... :roll:

Troutman65
09-28-2007, 02:31 AM
I personally haven't eaten one fish that I have caught in the bay and probably never will.Every FOB down there isn't fishing for sport though.They are catchin dinner and as far as Valhalla goes nobody threw you a bone.I'll tell you what,next time you are bored and decide to post a stupid comment,DONT

I about fell out of my chair laughing Willis949. :lol:

Troutman65

corvina man
09-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Hey T65, I did fall out of my chair laughing! :potty:

spiceguy
09-28-2007, 11:23 AM

Do you still glow in the dark?? :wink:

Not as much anymore, that was a long time ago. :wink:

spiceguy
09-28-2007, 11:32 AM
The thing is if you cook the fish you are not going to have any problems.Most people filet the fish and unless you pan fry the whole fish it is more safe than the chicken that you buy from the market when it is cooked properly.

I didn't know that cooking a fish removes the lead(from paint), mercury, (from run-off), fuel, oil, and the turds I've seen floating by. If I was starving maybe, but I doubt it. I've lived here a long time & I've seen too much. :shock:

valhalla_1_2000
09-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks for a second hot tip Willis949.

one_leg
09-28-2007, 01:16 PM

I didn't know that cooking a fish removes the lead(from paint), mercury, (from run-off), fuel, oil, and the turds I've seen floating by. If I was starving maybe, but I doubt it. I've lived here a long time & I've seen too much. :shock:

Oh man, I dove in NPH when there were dead birds, dead cats, human fetuses, asbestos brake dust, motor oil, cigarette butts, used syringes, every manner of feces, and everything else that washes out of the storm drains when it rains.

But at least the pay was decent.

One_Leg

ymin72
09-28-2007, 01:45 PM

I would agree willis on this as well. With moderation though. I've caught halibuts from Redondo Pier that I took home and sashimi'd it. Lots of fish come into the shoreline to spawn.

As far as contaminations go, I would think a large calico has more than most shoreline fishes. Think about how long those calicos live to get that big.

jplee3
09-28-2007, 01:47 PM

HEY SPICEGUY!

Just so everybody knows, spiceguy *loves* eating NPH scallops. He always has his cookie cutters ready for the next batray he pulls up :D

"Uhh, why is this scallop shaped like a Christmas tree?"

:lol:

spiceguy
09-28-2007, 02:02 PM

I would agree willis on this as well. With moderation though. I've caught halibuts from Redondo Pier that I took home and sashimi'd it. Lots of fish come into the shoreline to spawn.

As far as contaminations go, I would think a large calico has more than most shoreline fishes. Think about how long those calicos live before they get that big.

You're right, but the discussion is about Newport harbor. :wink:

Jplee3 quit telling my secrets... 8)

valhalla_1_2000
09-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Regardless of the toxicity levels, life is just too short to worry about such trifling things. Bon apetit!

spiceguy
09-28-2007, 02:29 PM
I hear that eating toxic waste is bad for your sex life, I'm old and don't want anything to fall off or sprout an extra eye... :shock:

fish4keep
09-28-2007, 04:18 PM
I hear that eating toxic waste is bad for your sex life, I'm old and don't want anything to fall off or sprout an extra eye... :shock:

Just give it to the wife. Might grow an extra tit. Two for the hands and one for the mouth..... :wink:

willis949
09-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Whats funny about everyone worrying about the fish out of NPH is almost every time I am fishing the docks on the island side some idiot is swimming laps or some group of kids are playing in the water.That has to be worse than eating a cooked fish.

sansou
09-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Whats funny about everyone worrying about the fish out of NPH is almost every time I am fishing the docks on the island side some idiot is swimming laps or some group of kids are playing in the water.That has to be worse than eating a cooked fish.

It's eating the bioaccumulators that causes health problems. Not necessarily ingesting the water in of itself.

...which is why your overcooking suggestion is silly.

jplee3
09-28-2007, 05:49 PM

As far as contaminations go, I would think a large calico has more than most shoreline fishes. Think about how long those calicos live before they get that big.

You're right, but the discussion is about Newport harbor. :wink:

Jplee3 quit telling my secrets... 8)

Sorry man, your scallops are the best. How could I NOT share about those!? BTW folks: Spiceguy here makes a mean Black Sea Bass & Garibaldi stew :D

spiceguy
09-29-2007, 03:21 PM
:shock: holy crap :shock: