PDA

View Full Version : Huntington 1/25 and Newport 1/26

The_Dude
01-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Even though the swells were supposed to be well lets just say not great for fishing, I figured well you never know so I headed down to Huntington State park with a buddy of mine on Saturday morning to see what we could do. Got there about 7:30 am and you could already see the swells were not going to be friendly. Set up on the beach and started casting away. Talk about tough, there was maybe 5 of us on the beach fishing and it was tough, tough, tough all around. Fished two hours and there was just nothing. I think between my buddy and I we got three bites and talk about working just to get those.

Sunday morning, decided to hit my spot in Newport that has produced every time for me to see if our luck would be any better. Hit the beach at about 7 am and the waves were pretty decent for the area. Was looking at what I would guess 4 ft waves at times. For the waves being what they were, the water movement was actually not too bad, unlike Huntington where a few times the water receded out so far, I thought we were having a Tsunami. Anyways, first cast in and bam, hooked up with a nice 10 inch perch. Thought alright this will be a good day. Nope :LOL: for the next two hours it was walking up and down the beach begging the fish gods to let something jump on my hook. After trying camo "Crack" sandworms, 3 inch and 4 inch big hammers and LC we decided that it is what it is and headed back home.

All in all it was still great times. The way I look at it, this is why they call it fishing and not catching.

Here is a pic of the little piggy I picked up at Newport.

ErikAllen17
01-27-2014, 11:50 AM
That's brave of you to even attempt fishing this weekend... I was all ready to go on Sat morning when I checked the conditions... needless to say, I crawled back into bed for another hour of sleep and spent the entire weekend with the family and cleaning the house.

Way to brave it out there... hopefully the conditions will change soon. I'm taking my dad out fishing on Wed!

bachiboy
01-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Tough going out there with all the high surf. Way to gut it out and make the best if it. Things should mellow out a bit next weekend. Good luck out there!

Don

DockRat
01-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Try inner Cabrillo or LB when the surf is up. There is miles of protected sandy areas to fish.
DR

murrieta angler
01-29-2014, 05:01 PM
What's up Dude!
Important thing is, "You Got Out There"!
When we have this type of weather, take note of the direction from where the big swells are coming from.
Then just find a beach that is opposite of that heading....do you get my drift?! :Rolls Eyes:
I feel it is going to be off the hook this year, so be ready!
Robert
<><