PDA

View Full Version : 1/26/2014 Castaic Lake Skunk

basshole1
01-26-2014, 07:22 PM
After reading great posts all week regarding limits of Castaic stripers being caught, I was super stoked to get on the water this day and hook a few of those bad boys myself. My buddy and I arrived around 7am and we were on the water within fifteen minutes. We headed straight towards Necktie because word on the street suggested that that's where the action was. When we reached our location, there were about ten boats anchored up, lines in the water, ready to rock. Despite only two hours of sleep, I was oozing with anticipation and thoughts of reeling in monster stripers one after another. :Big Smile: An hour quickly passed resulting in ZERO bites. We were using cutbait (sardines), and although we got no action, we continued with our game plan. Two hours, three hours, and still nothing. In fact, out of the then nearly fifteen boats present, there was only ONE angler on a four-man boat reeling in fish. Frustration set in so we decided to move spots hoping for some sort of action. Kong Island was our destination. Once we arrived, it was obvious that the sardines weren't hitting so I decided to rig up some Fishbites (Bloodworm Alternative). I heard great things about this artificial bait from a couple of buddies in Sacramento who regularly fish for stripers. Anyhow, same story, different location. We didn't even get the slightest bend in our rod tip, not even for a split second. It was pathetic. Moving around the island, I began to throw some sardines again but the results remained the same. With only a few hours left before we had to return the boat, we decided to spend our remaining time around the damn and near the marina. According to the DFW website, there was supposed to be a trout plant today, let's see if some swimbaits will work. Repeated casts, more sardines, a few more artificial blood worms and with thirty minutes left, we had surrendered ourselves to our inevitable skunk. :Skunk: When I dismally arrived at the tackle shop, the first thing the guy behind counter said was "what a terrible day of fishing." He stole the words right out of my mouth. He told me that they had drained the lake by 2 feet the night before, which could have resulted in a bad bite. Despite the uneventful day, I've come to know that some days are good, some days are bad. During the drive home, I reminded myself that I would rather get skunked on the water than sit in my office, wishing I was on the water. Although no fish on the stringer, it was good to be out and I WILL get 'em next time. Peace.

Fishin4runner
01-26-2014, 07:41 PM
Sorry to hear about the skunk. It happens. Also when the DFW posts about trout plants it the week of 1/26/2014 not the 26th. They usually stock the lake on a Tuesday or Thursday of said week. What kind of gear were you using and were the Dines fresh or long term wallmart frozen? Believe me it does make a difference.

basshole1
01-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the skunk. It happens. Also when the DFW posts about trout plants it the week of 1/26/2014 not the 26th. They usually stock the lake on a Tuesday or Thursday of said week. What kind of gear were you using and were the Dines fresh or long term wallmart frozen? Believe me it does make a difference.

Thanks for the clarification on the DFW plants. That schedule always confused the heck out of me. Honestly, the sardines were quite old. They were left over from a tuna outing out of Fisherman's Landing back in Oct. I've also read that fresh sardines make all the difference. I guess I just need to stop being a cheap bastud and pick up some new ones on my next outing, lol. As far as tackle, I'm pretty sure it was a little much. A couple of ugly stiks with 12lb and 14lb respectively. (both mono) What type of setup would you recommend? Thanks again for your help, this rookie needs to learn!!

Fishin4runner
01-26-2014, 08:52 PM
I suggest downsizing the tackle. medium light rods with 6lb. test will definable help you out and fresh sardines. When rigging I like an 1/16-1/8 oz sliding sinker with a 16-18 leader on a #2 mosquito hook.

EfrenM
01-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Same here I went on Wednesday and Friday to toss my punker and nada .... but looking forward for this week stock:Evil:

Stumpknocker
01-27-2014, 05:36 AM
I'd also suggest downsizing the tackle, maybe to 4 lb. leader, and use fluorocarbon, not mono...

quix
01-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Are beach fish markets the only place to buy fresh sardines?

basshole1
01-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Same here I went on Wednesday and Friday to toss my punker and nada .... but looking forward for this week stock:Evil:

Sorry to hear Efren, beats working.

Stumpknocker, will definitely downsize next time, thanks.

Quix, Asian markets will always have a nice array of fresh bait

bassmeister
01-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Get the number for Gallions. They are on the first exit off the freeway, exit freeway turn right go to stop sign and the store is on the north corner when you cross street. Make sure to call and see if there will be fresh sardines, frozen specially old frozen won't have the bloody oils the Stripes like :).

DMS
01-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Lighter line is going to help. I have watched them avoid 6# line as if it was cable.. but sometimes they go nuts on anything. I was catching on 2# line on Saturday, but it was not easy to get them in to the boat. I use light hooks too. Owner flyliners usually.
If you go to the fish markets, be aware that often the "fresh" fish on ice is previously frozen. You are better off thawing them when you use them and having them be frozen from the start than bringing yesterday's thaw.

fishincrave
01-28-2014, 12:51 PM
when i am fishing bait i use 6 pound test as the main line and 6 pound floro for my leader .
i normally don"t use weights unless i am going to fish very deep just cast about about 30 feet or so and let the bait sink on it's own ..
fresh bait is a must most of the time....

Hope this helps .

Sean

basshole1
01-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Thanks to everyone's wonderful advice, I shall redeem myself. Will submit a report as soon as I get it done.