PDA

View Full Version : 1/25 Float Tube Report

See Chris Fish
01-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Got in line late Friday night. While setting up my tube, had a few first timer Irvine Lakers next to me.
I gave them all the info on where to go and what was working that I knew. Didn't see any of them the whole day, so I hope they did well. Seemed like a tough day out there for trout.

3rd through the gate, said Hello to Kewly, and launched in flats by 6:10.
Water temp was 55 and went up to 57 during day. Flats are between 22 and 2 feet in depth. Depth changes VERY suddenly, so bewere out there. Water is green tinted with about 7-10 visibility.
Weather was spring like. Water level seemed to have dropped a little since last week.

Stayed in the flats for a few hours for SKUNK. I'm trolling lures, casting/jigging lures/worms/minnows. Threw lots of colors, sizes, depth...nothing.
I only metered 2 fish back there. Seems to have turned off back there. Flats emptied out early.

Kicked over towards the dam and on the way I see the "RED TROLLY FISHING MACHINE" with someone laying into a big fish. That rod was big time bendo!!!
They get it to shore and it's Rob, aka Rooster, with a FAT kitty!!! WTG!!!
Dude, that was awesome watching all that from my tube!!! Nice fight!!!
Now I know the "secret" spot!! LOL

Said hi, told them of my sad skunk tale and they invited me to shore up and fish cats with them. Thanks, sounds great, I'll be back after I finish my loop.
Tried Sierra Cove..nothing.
Tried the dam...nothing.
Kicked across to the West Shore for...nothing.
Metering just a few fish here and there.

As I hadn't tubed in over a few years, I was tired. My hip is starting to hurt.
It was just after 2 pm and the wind was working against me to get back to "Trolly's Point" so I decided to just kick back to the flats and head home.
I'd forgotten how stealthy you are on the tube. Nothing compared to my boat. Love that quite.
You can literally hear shore/boat conversations all the way across the lake, so watch what your saying.
Tubers are like the water version of the NSA except I just want to know what you caught it on.

Changed out lures/plastics...again for the millionth time.
I can still hear it now echoing in my head...It's called fishing, not catching!!!!

Want to know which way the wind is blowing at Irvine Lake, it's the opposite of the way I'm going!!!
Switched again and now I kick into the wind to get to the flats, of course.

Had been kicking into the wind and jigging for awhile and set the pole in the holder to just kick awhile.

BENDO!!!!! Almost lost the pole, just grabbed it!! Peeling line!!!
Puts up a great fight, runs 3 times, and into the net is a great 6-7 lbs. Really brilliant colors on this fish. Just amazing.
Just get the fish on the stringer and the other pole...BENDO!!!!
Another nice 4-5 lbs. Same kind of fight.
Next 15 minutes, 2 more. Same fights.
Now that's what I'm talking about!!
And then they were gone. LOL

8+ hours of nothing but kicking and then 20 minutes of FISH ON craziness.
Nice way to end a long day.

Rooster
01-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Great report Chis, We were wondering what happened to you.
So glad to hear ya found some nice ones... Gotta love those long runs! zzzzzzzzzzzzz Props

troutdog
01-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Nice going Chris! Wish I was there to take pictures of that stringer....see you soon!

TD

5150fishn
01-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Sounds like a rough start but an epic finish Chris. Glad to see you got into some larger grade fish brotha! Thanks for the report and see you soon bro.