PDA

View Full Version : good spots for halibut in nph

bighuff
09-26-2007, 05:08 PM
want to catch some decent but out of nph and want to know whatbto catch them on

k3vin_kim
09-26-2007, 05:32 PM
If you check out the 8/11 Newport Harbor Skiff report I posted a while back, you'll see that the biggest mistake I could have made while fishing NPH was NOT picking up a scoop of live bait.

Go to the bait barge, buy a scoop for $15 (if you rent a skiff from davey's) then take your skiff and travel to the back side of the bait barge and drop a live chovy on a dropper. You'll come up with a flattie.

Oh by the way, you're gonna be in the middle of the harbor so watch out for speedo man. You won't mistake him. Curly brown FRO. wearing nothing but a speedo. On the breakwall. He's gonna tell you to get out of his casting range because he can allegedly cast from one breakwall to the other.

Peace. Kevin Kim.

bighuff
09-26-2007, 05:48 PM
i have a pontoon and want to try it out so thanks for the tip

Troutman65
09-26-2007, 08:13 PM
If you check out the 8/11 Newport Harbor Skiff report I posted a while back, you'll see that the biggest mistake I could have made while fishing NPH was NOT picking up a scoop of live bait.

Go to the bait barge, buy a scoop for $15 (if you rent a skiff from davey's) then take your skiff and travel to the back side of the bait barge and drop a live chovy on a dropper. You'll come up with a flattie.

Oh by the way, you're gonna be in the middle of the harbor so watch out for speedo man. You won't mistake him. Curly brown FRO. wearing nothing but a speedo. On the breakwall. He's gonna tell you to get out of his casting range because he can allegedly cast from one breakwall to the other.

Peace. Kevin Kim.

Speedo man? You have to be kidding? Yikes!!!

Troutman65

jbacsaf
09-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Like KK said, go live! I've caught a lot of halibuts in NPH but I didn't catch a decent one until I used live bait. Caught this a few weeks ago while tubing with a buddy.

[url=http://imageshack.us:241c9]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1962/31inchhalibutly9.jpg[/url:241c9]

bighuff
09-27-2007, 08:07 PM
nice butt

big huff

ymin72
09-28-2007, 01:53 PM
You might wanna try dropshotting also. Caught this using dropshot.

spiceguy
09-28-2007, 02:08 PM
You might wanna try dropshotting also. Caught this using dropshot.

Nice butt buddy :shock:. Dropshotting is one of my favorite rigs. I would add though that if you're targeting butts use a long shank hook so they are less likely to bite the hook off. That used to piss me off.

bighuff
09-28-2007, 03:16 PM
dropshotting what?

bighuff

spiceguy
09-28-2007, 03:32 PM
You can dropshot almost anything you would c-rig. Curlytail grubs, GULP sand worms, etc., but most of my butts have come on anchovies or squid strips.

sansou
09-28-2007, 03:45 PM
You can dropshot almost anything you would c-rig. Curlytail grubs, GULP sand worms, etc., but most of my butts have come on anchovies or squid strips.

You mean you can catch a halibut on something other than a Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110? Get the effe out of here!

ha ha!!!

spiceguy
09-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures. :lol: