PDA

View Full Version : San Clemente Pier 1-18-14 perching

twin22s
01-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Had a few friends that wanted me to take them fishing. I needed to go somewhere we didn't all have to have fishing lic. and that we were all but guaranteed to catch something. decided to take my jar of camo fish crack to the pier. we fished the high out going tide right up against the shore where the waves hit a wall of pylons. action was decent. everyone caught something, everyone but me. total count was 7 keepers(I made fish tacos for the rookies) and twice as many dinks, plus one surprise 14in. hali. I have caught them from the pier before but never that close, or on camo sandworms. the perch are starting to spawn. time to start tossing back all the big females with bellies full of little giants to be.

on a side note there were millions of smelt from 2"-6" all around the pier and lots of birds. I tried throwing a slugo on a DS rig but no bites.

I'm going to be in the San Diego area this weekend and my GF said we could fish sunday. never been fishing down there and don't know where to start. open to suggestions anywhere from torry pines to SD harbor.

Tight lines,
Brian

bachiboy
01-23-2014, 12:05 AM
It's tough to watch everyone catch fish while you get the stripe but keep it up, it'll come. :Wink: Flatties are caught a lot closer to shore than most people think...especially if there's a nice hole or trough.

Thanks for sharing...
Don

wahhshoang
01-23-2014, 01:07 AM
if you have a license, you could fish at harbor island on the rocks in Downtown San Diego or go to Tidelands Park and fish along the rocks as well. If you guys want to enjoy a nice view and possibly the sunset, I would try out Sunset Cliffs (requires braided line) or Ocean Beach Pier.

skunked4life
01-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Mission accomplished! You took friends out and they all caught! Unfortunate that you did not but at least they will not forget the outing and its all thanks to you. Great job out there.

Skunked4life

twin22s
01-23-2014, 01:31 PM
It was alot of fun. I have heard alot of good things about harbor island. i guss i just need to go down there and find a spot with some decent rocks and cast a line. girly likes going off the beach tho. she plays with the perch while I comb the sand for halibut usualy.