PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help - Advice for Taking Kids

bassjedi
01-22-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm thinking about taking my kids (girls age 5 and 7) to rent a skiff at Daveys in Newport the weekend after this one to try to do some fishing. At that age any kind of fish (smelt, mackerel, etc) will be a thrill for them, so I am just looking for as much action as possible regardless of the species. I fished the bay many years ago and did well on the spotties but have not done so recently. Anyone have any tips they can provide to help make it a fun day for the kids? Thanks for the help.

bendopolo2004
01-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Quick tutorial for NPH. Slow troll deep running plugs with the tide, dirty water use Fire Tiger colors, clear use natural colors. Set out at least 50 feet and troll just fast enough to get the plugs down. Fish are hooked as they hit, good for kids. Set up a drop shot rig with a number 2 or 4 circle hook and 8 or ten pound test. Drift with the tide in the boat channels , staying in contact with the bottom. Use small baitfish size plastics. Shake, wiggle and twitch your way into those bass and again the fish hook themselves. On the way down you can pick up the correct gear and some more tips from the Longfin Tackle store right off the 55 and Chapman Ave in Orange.

Ifishtoolittle
01-22-2014, 01:49 PM
I've been told by a friend that he does well on Rubberlip Perch by throwing mussels near the pilings. Look for the oldest looking piling with the most mussels on them for those perch. They are easy to catch, quite plentiful, and fight hard.

vanillagurilla
01-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Or you can get half a scoop of bait at the barge and hang out close to it, use 1/2oz slider stright to a #2 or #1 live bait hook or a simple dropper loop and catch all kinds of stuff. There's almost always mackerel around to keep the action going.

bendopolo2004
01-22-2014, 03:27 PM
No bait barge in the winter... Great tip on the perch you can also get Croaker and Forktail perch as well as bass on the mussels.