PDA

View Full Version : Question about trolling lures for trout ON A TUBE!!

luckyjr21
01-21-2014, 08:57 AM
Hey guys I was just curious if anybody has had any luck trolling lures for trout on a float tube (no trolling motor) just kicking, I have seen some boats trolling at turtle slow speeds and have wonder if I can maintain a speed were this method would produce, what do you guys think ?

pitman
01-21-2014, 06:29 PM
That's a great question. I was wondering the same thing. My assumption is with the right lure it could be effective. I have not tried it tho...

fisherman951
01-21-2014, 06:49 PM
i dont float tube but should work, i mean u can cast the lures and retrieve and catch fish so drifting or moving would be like trolling as u troll at really slow speeds

bassmeister
01-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Works great till you need a rest from kicking :). But sometimes when you stop and the lure is just sitting there or rising that's when you get some of the biggest hits. If the winds blowing then you have the added bonus power and the fact that there is no motor noise all the better.

Bigreeler
01-21-2014, 07:08 PM
I would say cast and retrieve is just like throwing a lure. Kinda hard to maintain a trolling speed on your tube. But many anglers have great success with cranks and lures from the tube. If your looking to mimic a slow troll fr your tube I do well kicking around and keep a power worm out there on a split shot it gets bit often.

flyhigh123
01-21-2014, 08:34 PM
i think some of the guys slow troll power worms and mice tails for example... one rod actively casting, one rod slow trolled as you are kicking around.

Marley
01-21-2014, 09:38 PM
I never tried to pull a lure but I can attest that half a nightcrawler slow-trolled at the perfect speed of a lazy kick is absolutely deadly. Rig one Carolina-style, two feet or so behind an egg sinker and drop it down to the bottom as you kick. Let it come tight when it hits bottom and then get one crank to pull it just over the mud. Run another other top-lined or anywhere in between, or use the second rod for jigging.
I would bet that a CD-3 Rapala would do quite well when trolled at the same speed, or even a Wooly Bugger or Matuka.

tomar19
01-21-2014, 11:30 PM
Slow trolling micetails from my kayak was the most productive method for me in Big Bear last summer. Carolina rigged and moved at a creeping pace. I also like to use the longest Aberdeen hooks to catch the tail bitters when trolling. I'm going to try a few different CD raps the next time I get the yak out.

luckyjr21
01-22-2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys, dragging mice tails has been very productive in the past for me ,but next time I'm out there I'm definitely going to try trolling my rapala fire tiger lets see if I can make something happen. A few months I notice a fellow tuber dragging two mice tails on the same line ,one about 8 inches up and the second one about 24 inches up. I didn't see them catch anything but thought the idea was a great way to cover two water Colums.

bendopolo2004
01-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Its tough to troll a rapala from a float tube. Half a crawler hooked on a tube jighead, a minijg, or a dropshot rigged mouse or troutworm are killer methods. Many times the trout come right up to my tube as if to investigate. Fish me...

TroutOnly
01-22-2014, 01:01 PM
ive done mega slays at the pvr on my tube slow trolling thomas bouyants on one side and threaded night crawlers on the other and woolybuggers black or green,,,,,,,,,,,,catch till you cant reel anymore,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,

jowo
01-22-2014, 01:06 PM
I used to row troll kastmasters on a lake that didn't allow motors. got a good workout, but got a few.

seal
01-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Troll fly's, like many have said.

fishmounter
01-23-2014, 09:00 AM
That's how I do all of my float tubing, I'm constantly moving, slowly trolling tiny jigs, spoons and yes, even little Rapalas. But I'm fishing for panfish..large Bluegill, Redears and crappie. I do catch a trout now and then too.

See Chris Fish
01-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Yes you can. I troll a CD5 and kill it. Gets tiring so have other lures while you rest.

luckyjr21
01-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys ill be at irvine tomorrow trying out some theses technics , ill let you guys know how I do.:Titanic::Titanic: