PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a boat. I have some limitations. Need some advice.

aquaflamz
01-20-2014, 11:17 PM
I have two major limitations... One, the garage storage space I have available for a boat is just shy of 20ft long. Second, I don't really want to spend more than around 12k. Considering the storage space I have and cost, I was looking at a Tracker Pro 165. Storage length is within my limit and its a bit wider than the 160. Plus it has a bigger motor. Now, I've heard people talk about their bad/good experiences with Trackers. I was reading how aluminum boats drift easier in wind and they are a rougher ride in choppy water. I can deal with that. The main thing is that I'm sick and tired of riding in beat up rentals while getting passed by other boat owners! :Evil: I also float tube but paddling gets old after a while. Any other boat options out there that someone can recommend? I've also considered buying used to save some money but something new sounds a bit more appealing. Remember I have just under 20 feet of storage length. I'm looking specifically for a bass boat type setup.

Thanks!!!!

Andreu10555
01-20-2014, 11:25 PM
I have a boat you may want to take a look at, the Mako boats are really good. I sold my Mako Pro 16 CC Skiff and loved it. It's almost 16 feet long and if you get it with a 40 ELPT Fourstroke it runs at around 13k for the boat,trailer, and motor. I would use it to go to San Clemente and all over Santa Monica Bay as well as the Palos Verdes kelp beds. I especially liked the baitwell/seat it has. It works great both in saltwater and freshwater. I've used it up in Castaic for the bass and in the Santa Monica Bay. I highly recommend the boat and you should take a look at it. Hope it helps!

flybynight
01-21-2014, 12:39 AM
If your hurting for room, get a boat that has a trailer with a folding tounge, U can save a couple of feet that way.

NFCD I
01-21-2014, 08:10 AM
You'll have to measure it, but you might be able to get an 18 footer, with a swing away tongue and the motor down, into you 20 foot space. There is a huge difference in a 16 footer and a 18 footer. $12,000.00 will put you in a nice used fiberglass bass boat with a nice sized 4 stroke. I bought my 2005 18 ft. Skeeter, wish I had gone with 20 ft., with a 100 HP Yamaha four stroke for $10,000.00 about 4 years ago. It has all the bells and whistles and a 80 lb. thrust Minkota trolling motor.

DockRat
01-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Cut a hole in your garage door just big enough for tongue.
That is the easiest Bako way to do it.

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww48/1337Hwoar/Size.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/1337Hwoar/media/Size.jpg.html)

flyhigh123
01-21-2014, 10:10 PM
boats are like cars but worse... once its off the lot, it depreciates a ton... u could look for a fairly new used boat... like a 2012...

See Chris Fish
01-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Just know that BOAT stands for
B- break
O- out
A- another
T- thousand.

Good luck.

DockRat
01-23-2014, 05:18 PM
B- break
O- out
A- another
T- thousand.

Good luck.

Had my 1986 boat sitting in the saltwater 4 years now. With the exception of 2 batteries in Dec, spark plugs in 2012 it has not cost me a dime. Didn't use it much in 2013 but the 1996 Johnson 150 hp fires up every time. $125 a month slip fee, $25 a month bottom cleaning. Really dig hanging out at the marina, great guys down there. BBQs, the ship store is 75' from the slip and sell beer for $6 a 6 pack. $1 ice. Prices never go up. 2 Patios , TV always on. Boat, port, sports, hunting, fishing ect talk, home away from home.

Paid $4500 then spent a couple grand on a new gas tank, 10 leg T top, FF, GPS. Loaned my trailer to a buddy 4 years ago, sits in HIS driveway with a 17' Whaler on it.
Don't even clean it very often. A little blood, scales, aluminum pitting, bent anchor, needs bottom paint. WHO CARES. That 17' @ 21' overall cuddly cabin kicksASS.
Boats are made to be used and abused, forget about trying to make it look pretty. Bought a used marine radio for $20 4 years ago, still works great.
Do your own work on it, if you don't know how then learn on the www. Small boats are simple, there not space shuttles.
Could sell it for $4000 easy.

Do your homework, buy used, save your money.
DR

Brush Hog
01-23-2014, 05:59 PM
I have a Tracker Tournament 18 and just love it. This boat have a regular v bow and handles rough water much better than the 165,175, or the 190. I have had it in big swells on the delta and it is scary but it handles them fine. It is also heavy enough not to get blown around a lot. They all have that chopped up v bow that is cheaper to make. The Tournament 18 is no longer being made since it retailed at close to $20,000 and a new Nitro is less than that.Right now, Anglers Marine has a used Tournament 18 for sale that really looks in good shape. It has low hours and is ready to go. I would give them a call or look at the boat on their website at Anglersmarine.com A little over your budget but worth a look. My boat is having work done on it right now so I can't give you a measurement but I am sure that Angler's could. It does have a swing away tongue that shortens it up quite a bit. Like I said, I love my boat and have no complaints at all. Hope this helps. If you need any more info, just ask. Brush Hog

HBAR
01-24-2014, 09:39 AM
B- break
O- out
A- another
T- thousand.

Good luck.

Oh hell look who's talking, lol when was the last time you took yours out?

Brush Hog
01-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Oh hell look who's talking, lol when was the last time you took yours out?

Haven't been out since Christmas. I took my boat to Tracker in Vegas to do a major makeover. Getting it back this weekend and then to Isabella to try out the new electronics. Can't wait

P.A.W.
01-25-2014, 04:16 PM
This should about do it http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/4269625899.html

Kojak5150
01-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Good Find P.A.W. Nice boat.

DockRat
01-27-2014, 10:39 PM
The next day after I posted how my boat has been trouble free I go down to the marina and see a 2 stoke oil leak. Lol
Jinxed it. DR

Hometown
01-28-2014, 09:51 PM
DR sounds like TI Larsons

lowe
01-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Get you a Lund boat; I like Tracker but not stable in the water rocks too much for me when maneuvering around inside the boat ..lo

ONELIK
02-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Get a crestliner sportfish or I'll sell you mine.