PDA

View Full Version : where are some good places to hit the salt from shore

Ray Lopez
09-26-2007, 02:57 PM
hey all i'm pretty much a green horn when it comes to slat water. I have gone out a few times froma boat and fished redondo beach peir but never really did that great other then one time with the sand bass about 4 years ago.

But i really want to get into shorefishing or jetty fishing. But i have no clue how or what to use and where to go for the best action.

I also have a tube and am willing to set out on my tube in some of the harbors.

i live in the north LA county area so i don't really want to drive to far even tho i do make trips to san diego about once a month or so.

so could you help a fresh water boy out with some salt water tricks and tips.

Thanks in advance

Brad100
09-26-2007, 09:29 PM
hey all i'm pretty much a green horn when it comes to slat water.

The best place to check out slats is near venetian blinds!!! Seriously, there is alot of information on this site that will help you out.

(sorry, couldn't pass it up!)

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/Oddie-01-june.gif

n1ckxlam
09-26-2007, 09:37 PM
pm sent

ThemBastards
09-27-2007, 11:15 AM
pm sent

PM intercepted

Thanks

Fisher-of-Men
10-11-2007, 05:48 AM
[quote="Ray Lopez"] But i have no clue how or what to use and where to go for the best action.

Hey Ray!

The first thing you will need is an extra stamp for your fishing license to allow you to fish from the shore; unless you don't mind fishing from the jetty or pier. These two places are actually free because they extend out into the ocean and have water on both sides. That's the key; you must have water on both sides of you to fish without a license. If you're fishing the jetty and end up creeping past the shore on one side fishing the harbor; you could be ticketed.

There's just a couple more months to kill before the new season begins. If you buy one now, you will only get a couple of months use out of it before it expires. How many times are you going to make the drive from Castaic and actually put it to use is the question? I have fished the jetty in Newport; near the Wedge and have done very well. There is tons of Bonita out there! There's a large tackle shop in Newport that will be able to get you geared up and be able to answer more of your questions:
http://www.anglerscenter.com/map.htm

The Bonita go crazy over flies! There's a flyshop just down the road unless you know how to make them yourself. It's really not that hard and you will save big bucks if you learn how! The Bonita have always liked my yellowish-geen colored flies. Use the Dropper Loop for this. Tie about five to six loops with about an 18" tail on the end to attach your snap swivel to. The loops are for the flies. Cut one side of the loop to tie them on. The snap swivel is so you can clip on your sinker and change the size of them easier. The torpedo shaped sinkers work the best due to the rocks on the jetty. They are less likely to get hung up, which is very easy to do if you're not caeful. :wink: A 9' pole will give you good casting distance. When retreving the flies, remember to pull your line in quickly as you draw closer to the jetty. Your hooks will get stuck on the rocks 9 times out of 10 if you don't.

I have to get ready for work now. I hope this helps a little. :D

Good Luck!

Fisher-of-Men