PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my son's first fish

pulpracer
01-20-2014, 02:56 PM
My son and I are going to head to Castaic soon and given that I have almost no experience, I need a little help trying to catch a first fish for my son. For instance, I would love to know what kind gear I need, what kind of bait (for which fish) and where to go at Castaic and any other techniques or tips that might help. I'm thinking we will not rent a boat since his swimming skills are still in progress (he's only 7). Any help would be appreciated.

We went Irvine Lake recently with some scouts and he was stoked to catch something, but alas we did not. In fact, of the whole group of maybe 50 (scouts and parents) there were only 6 fish caught in the "Lagoon." Even so, he and I had a blast together and want to do it again.

Thanks in advance!

DarkShadow
01-20-2014, 03:35 PM
pulpracer,

This time of year, I would recommend following the DFG website and seeing when they dump trout into the lake. Your chances would be the highest showing up on Saturday on the week they stock.

If you show up early enough and get good shore spots right near the main ramp where they stock and the trout tend to linger, you can use a simple Carolina rig with Powerbait on a size 16 treble hook to get these stocker fish to go. (diagram below) If you prefer to cast and retrieve, any small 1/16th jig, or 1/8th spoon should do the trick.

As far as gear? I would recommend a spinning set up, with no more than 6 pound test on the reel, so casting doesn't become to much of a hassle, although I'd lean more towards the 4 pound test, especially if you're casting artificials. You can even use a 4 pound test leader if you do decide to fish Powerbait with 6 pound test as your main line.

Here's a good idea of what your Powerbait rig should look like:

http://fishingthoughts.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/slide12.jpg

Stumpknocker
01-20-2014, 03:49 PM
It's a bit pricey, but if you take the rig and bait described by DarkShadow to Troutdale in Agoura your son will certainly catch a fish...

pulpracer
01-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys! Great info. I'm hoping to get out there soon, so I'll let you know what happens.