PDA

View Full Version : question about Hunting the Giants tournament/get together

The_Dude
01-20-2014, 08:39 AM
I had watched the Hunting the Giants 4 on youtube and I must say it looks amazing. Does anyone know when the next one will be?

Nipple Twister
01-21-2014, 03:49 AM
I had watched the Hunting the Giants 4 on youtube and I must say it looks amazing. Does anyone know when the next one will be?

I don't think the exact date has been set, in the fall around Sept, Oct..........be sure to clear your calendar to make this event......only 8 short months away........ :Wink:

The_Dude
01-21-2014, 07:46 AM
I don't think the exact date has been set, in the fall around Sept, Oct..........be sure to clear your calendar to make this event......only 8 short months away........ :Wink:

That is perfect. Can not wait.

ErikAllen17
01-21-2014, 01:29 PM
I think it should be a little bit sooner... let's do HG6 in July or August this year instead. September is when Fall rolls around and when the bite starts to die down a bit. Anyone else?

Nipple Twister
01-23-2014, 01:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hBwHf9omsg

Which Way Out
01-24-2014, 05:23 PM

Hey John thanks for posting that link. I hadn't seen that video..

WWO

Nipple Twister
01-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Hey John thanks for posting that link. I hadn't seen that video..

WWO

Thx Bill......still workin on gettin it right but thought I would share anyway........

tamddo714
01-26-2014, 07:07 PM
HG5 was my first event and it was a blast. Wished the bite was better, but other than that it was a well-organized event. Great for kids, families, & anyone who loves to fish. I too propose the event be held earlier in the year like in august.

The_Dude
01-27-2014, 08:34 AM

Sweet thanks for the post man, hadn't seen this one

City Dad
01-27-2014, 09:37 AM
one note: the bite was slow for some folks... all the young ladies in the Jr. division lit it up. Gentlemen watch your backs!;)

ErikAllen17
01-27-2014, 02:35 PM
folks... all the young ladies in the Jr. division lit it up.

True... however, I think the majority of the people at HG5 weren't fishing for perch... they were throwing the LC in order to get the new (unreleased) grunion LC. The only way to get those was to catch a fish with the LC. In my experience, only perch above 11+" hit an LC. So, even though some of the juniors killed it at HG5, it was because dads' set their kids up with C-rigs with crack for perch so they would catch something. I don't think anyone went there knowing they were going to get skunked if they didn't fish for perch. I know that there were a few people who caught leo's, but for the most part, even though the tourney was a huge success, netting more anglers than all other years past, it was a terrible outcome for actual fishing.

I say we move the tourney up by at least 60 days... instead of the last week of Sept, it should be held in the last week of July or early August. And even though it was held at LC beach, which is close to me, I know that halibut like the warmer waters down south. I say we hold it in Long Beach. I wouldn't mind the drive for a full 9 hour day of fishing with friends!

City Dad
02-03-2014, 12:01 PM
True... however, I think the majority of the people at HG5 weren't fishing for perch... they were throwing the LC in order to get the new (unreleased) grunion LC. The only way to get those was to catch a fish with the LC. In my experience, only perch above 11+" hit an LC. So, even though some of the juniors killed it at HG5, it was because dads' set their kids up with C-rigs with crack for perch so they would catch something. I don't think anyone went there knowing they were going to get skunked if they didn't fish for perch. I know that there were a few people who caught leo's, but for the most part, even though the tourney was a huge success, netting more anglers than all other years past, it was a terrible outcome for actual fishing.

I say we move the tourney up by at least 60 days... instead of the last week of Sept, it should be held in the last week of July or early August. And even though it was held at LC beach, which is close to me, I know that halibut like the warmer waters down south. I say we hold it in Long Beach. I wouldn't mind the drive for a full 9 hour day of fishing with friends!

Just giving the kids a pat on the back, bro... didn't intend to demean anyone's angling skills.

Whenever HG6 is held, I think it is important to remember that the whole thing began as, first and foremost, a family event. So, the way I see it if folks have a good time at the beach, the event is a success and to me (an I'm sure a lot of other guys) a good day at the beach begins with getting the Jr.'s onto some fish. For me seeing a kid nail his or her first 8" perch is a bigger thrill than anything else.

ErikAllen17
02-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Just giving the kids a pat on the back, bro... didn't intend to demean anyone's angling skills.

Whenever HG6 is held, I think it is important to remember that the whole thing began as, first and foremost, a family event. So, the way I see it if folks have a good time at the beach, the event is a success and to me (an I'm sure a lot of other guys) a good day at the beach begins with getting the Jr.'s onto some fish. For me seeing a kid nail his or her first 8" perch is a bigger thrill than anything else.

I couldn't agree more... please don't take my previous comments as anything other than a request to have the tournament moved to a more productive time of year. Being a father of 4 kids myself, I know the feeling a dad gets when his kids hook up on fish. It's exhilarating and each time mine hook up on something, their faces light up! Absolutely priceless. But for the people who didn't bring kids, and even though I'm sure they had a great time regardless, I'm sure the event would've been more enjoyable if the bite was better. This can be accomplished by moving the dates up so it's still during the summer instead of a few days before October. That being said, what would be the harm of a junior nailing his 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th perch... AND possibly a halibut too?!?!? Tight lines brutha...

City Dad
02-10-2014, 09:22 AM
I couldn't agree more... please don't take my previous comments as anything other than a request to have the tournament moved to a more productive time of year. Being a father of 4 kids myself, I know the feeling a dad gets when his kids hook up on fish. It's exhilarating and each time mine hook up on something, their faces light up! Absolutely priceless. But for the people who didn't bring kids, and even though I'm sure they had a great time regardless, I'm sure the event would've been more enjoyable if the bite was better. This can be accomplished by moving the dates up so it's still during the summer instead of a few days before October. That being said, what would be the harm of a junior nailing his 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th perch... AND possibly a halibut too?!?!? Tight lines brutha...

That'd be fun. I know Art and the SWAT guys put a ton of work into getting permits, sponsers, DFG, etc. lined up, so whenever they hold it, we'll be there.