PDA

View Full Version : Another successful trip 1/18 Newport area

The_Dude
01-20-2014, 07:44 AM
Saw that high tide was going to be in at 10:30 am so hit a buddy of mine up to see if he wanted to join me for an early session. Picked him up and got to the spot that I fishing on Thursday when I was checking out the low tide around 7:30 am. Fished with camo sandworms and right from the get go it was just bite after bite.

I am thinking I am needing to get a more stout rod. I noticed that when trying to set the hook on the carolina rig, when I would sweep the hook set, instead of actually pulling the line, my rod tip would bend towards the line and I would end up missing more bites than what I was catching.

Anyways, for a good solid two hours the bite was just off the charts, just one after another.

All in all it was a great day, I ended up with two small guys (6 inches) and my buddy ended up with 1 as well.

This week, a trip up towards Hungtinton

murrieta angler
01-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Good job checking out the low and high tide situations.
You're getting it...:Wink:
Robert
<><

The_Dude
01-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Thanks, ya I have picked up a ton of great info just from this site alone from you guys. It has really helped me in learning what to look for and how to recon new spots. I can not thank the anglers on this board enough.

murrieta angler
01-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Thanks, ya I have picked up a ton of great info just from this site alone from you guys. It has really helped me in learning what to look for and how to recon new spots. I can not thank the anglers on this board enough.

Well now that you have the itch, we'll be expecting to see you at Hunting Giants VI...:Big Grin:
We all had to crawl, before we took that first step..:Wink:
Robert
<><

The_Dude
01-20-2014, 08:29 AM
Well now that you have the itch, we'll be expecting to see you at Hunting Giants VI...:Big Grin:
We all had to crawl, before we took that first step..:Wink:
Robert
<><

I am looking forward to that. Watched a hunting giants video on youtube and looks great.

tomar19
01-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Saw that high tide was going to be in at 10:30 am so hit a buddy of mine up to see if he wanted to join me for an early session. Picked him up and got to the spot that I fishing on Thursday when I was checking out the low tide around 7:30 am. Fished with camo sandworms and right from the get go it was just bite after bite.

I am thinking I am needing to get a more stout rod. I noticed that when trying to set the hook on the carolina rig, when I would sweep the hook set, instead of actually pulling the line, my rod tip would bend towards the line and I would end up missing more bites than what I was catching.

Anyways, for a good solid two hours the bite was just off the charts, just one after another.

All in all it was a great day, I ended up with two small guys (6 inches) and my buddy ended up with 1 as well.

This week, a trip up towards Hungtinton

Thanks for the report. Good job finding the bite, and what a beautiful weekend in Newport as well. This sounds a lot like the Sunday morning bite. Early on, before the surf built up, the bites were strong and hook sets were good. After about 8:30 the bite changed with the larger surf. They were still hitting after almost every cast to the trough, but much lighter and harder to hook up on the camo SW. It was hard to change a rig that was getting bit so often, but switching to hard lures cut down on the bites/misses and got a few more to shore.

Good luck out there, and keep the reports coming.

bassmeister
01-20-2014, 01:55 PM
I am looking forward to that. Watched a hunting giants video on youtube and looks great.

Hey Dude I live in Torrance. Let me know if you want to roll a little north and we'll go get some pig Perch.

Scott

The_Dude
01-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Hey Dude I live in Torrance. Let me know if you want to roll a little north and we'll go get some pig Perch.

Scott

That would be great man. I am slowly working my way towards LA area

bassmeister
01-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Ok you can txt me at 310-951-5412. Maybe a couple of days advance so I now I can roll.

anchor3n1
01-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Hi The_Dude

Awesome job! Your off to a great start. Your considering the variables and choices. That will help you become more proficient. Keep at it and keep sharing your experiences with us. Above all enjoy your time on the sand:Surprised:

Nick

bachiboy
01-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Very nice work out there Dude! You're probably right about using a little stiffer rod with the crack. I lean toward bass/worm rods more than trout rods for fishing perch because I get a better hook set. Keep it up! Looking forward to more reports!

Don

Wingnut
01-31-2014, 06:09 PM
Keep it up... you will get the hang of it in no time! :Wink: