PDA

View Full Version : First ever surf session. Success! 1/18 & 19

tomar19
01-20-2014, 12:33 AM
1/18 3:30 - sunset

I hit the beach Saturday afternoon in the Newport area for my first surf session. I probably got in a little under 2 hours before the sunset. The weather was ridiculous for January. Temps in the upper 70s, no wind, and I was able to wet wade comfortably. After getting a feel for the new tackle, I was on my first BSP to shake the skunk on my first outing. That BSP was followed shortly by another. I left my camera in my other gear bag, and these were no pigs, so no phone pics this time. They were both taken on "crack" with a Carolina rig. Unfortunately, my forceps must have fallen out of my vest after releasing my second fish, so I decided to switch tactics to increase the odds of lip hooking, as I planed to C&R. I switched to a SXR Rap for nothing, followed by a BH for zilch. Still with 2 fish the first time out I was satisfied and looking forward to the morning.

1/19 7:00-10:30am

Sunday morning I decided to tryout my new waders and shoes. I was met with clear skies, no wind, an incoming tide, and building surf. I went back to the technique that produced on Saturday and it immediately produced. The BSP bite was on, and they weren't playing around. Tap, tap, and set for the first 10 fish starting with this little guy.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh247/tbone02001/2014-01-19_07-06-22_118_zps61cc890b.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/tbone02001/media/2014-01-19_07-06-22_118_zps61cc890b.jpg.html)

As the surf continued to build I was having a hard time feeling the taps for the quick hookups with the Carolina rig. Missing my forceps, I started throwing a Krocodile Spoon which picked up this beefy guy on the third cast.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh247/tbone02001/2014-01-19_07-41-01_345_zps6ca5ed82.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/tbone02001/media/2014-01-19_07-41-01_345_zps6ca5ed82.jpg.html)

Hooked up a few more and moved spots up and down the beach trying to apply the tips I've been reading up on here, and in Bill Varney's surf fishing book. At the end of the morning I landed 15 BSP ranging from 8-12".

This was too much fun for my first outing, and I'm glad I made the effort to give it a go. My gear worked great, and I'm going to try to get to the coast at least once a month. Thanks for posting all of the informative and encouraging reports here on fnn. I would have never found my way to the surf without them. I'm looking forward to more trips and more species in future outings.

skunked4life
01-20-2014, 07:03 AM
That sounds like one of my first sessions! Actually, I think I skunked for the first 5 weeks on the surf or so before I hooked into my first BSP. Lot's of fun eh? Can't wait to see a report from you next month!

Skunked4life

The_Dude
01-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Great job. I was out in the Newport area on the 18th for the morning session with a buddy of mine. Located the perch and had my buddy move down and it was just bite after bite for a good two hours

murrieta angler
01-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Congratulations on a successful weekend outing!
It was beautiful out there and I was glad you got to enjoy it.
Robert
<><

TUNAVIC
01-20-2014, 09:18 AM
Very nice,pretty good results for your first couple of times,wish you continued success.

Cya TUNAVIC

anchor3n1
01-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Hey Tomar19

Your first trip fishing the surf and you 'jumped out of starting gate' with a burst of energy!!! Yeah:LOL: keep at it and let us know bout your experiences.

Take care,

Nick

bachiboy
01-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Nice couple of days work out there, and a 15 fish day is awesome!:Wink: I'd say you're hooked. Keep it up and you'll find out things along the way...we all did. This site does help get outta the gate a little faster though. Keep it up and thanks for sharing!

Don

tomar19
01-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the kind replies. Yeah, its safe to say I'm hooked. I'm already looking at my Feb. calendar and google maps for the next overnight surf trip. If I can't hold out that long, a day trip on the motorcycle might be in order if this warm weather continues :Cool:.

GStanle
01-29-2014, 08:20 PM
That sounds like one of my first sessions! Actually, I think I skunked for the first 5 weeks on the surf or so before I hooked into my first BSP. Lot's of fun eh? Can't wait to see a report from you next month!

Skunked4life

Reading this post made me feel better about my first few trips out. I know you gotta pay your dues & put the time in, but I'm sure ready to catch an actual fish! I've caught enough kelp, rocks & trash to hold me over for a while. Now it's time to get serious.

From what little I know & some great tips from Bill Varney (who credited WingNut for some of the LC lure info.), I'm planning to hit the beach Friday afternoon & fish the low tide for halibut. Hopefully the surf will be down a bit & it won't rain, but I'm going no matter what.

Ghost117
01-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Your trip went WAY better than my first surf session haha. Good job on the first outing! Ohhh using the Croc? Thats an awesome bait :) Ya never know what will bit that thing.

Wingnut
01-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Congrats on the successful first surf session. :Big Grin:
Keep at it and I'm sure we will see many more fun reports from you. :Wink: