PDA

View Full Version : newbie going out this weekend on a charter

fullstringer
01-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Hello Salties, I'm a freshwater fisherman and I just found out that for my birthday (Feb.2) gift I am going out this weekend in Mexican waters for yellowtail,rock cod ? What should I take for tackle just for a 3/4 day trip ?Line braid or mono,weights, hooks, lures, just the basics for this trip don't want to spend alot of $$.Thanks in advance for any and all info and pointers.

Frequent Flyer
01-15-2014, 07:20 PM
What boat are you going on?

fullstringer
01-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Mission Belle

CaptainSkunk
01-16-2014, 12:22 AM
For yellowtail you guys should be fishing with livebait. In that case just flyline with size 2/0 live bait hook and you should be good. For bottom fishing the simplest rig would be double dropper loop. I am not certain but I think you guys will be fishing with frozen squid for bottom fish. 2/0 bait hook would work. You can go with octopus hook or circle hook either. I personally like the eagleclaw hooks because they are cheap but still get the job done. Bring torpedo sinkers raging from 6oz to 12oz just to be ready for any kind of current. These are really basic setup but should get you cover for yellowtail and bottom fishing. I am no expert but hopefully these information helps. Have fun and don't forget to post report.

etucker1959
01-16-2014, 06:30 AM
They caught 23 Yellowtail and 2 rockfish yesterday on the Mission Belle. The yellowtail are biting the yo yo iron and dropper loop sardines in a 70/30 percentage with the yo yo iron being the 70.

DockRat
01-16-2014, 07:07 AM
Be ready for rockfish if no topwater action.

fullstringer
01-16-2014, 01:48 PM
thanks for the reply and info but what about line 12-15 for rock fish, 30-40 for yellowtail braid or mono ?

flyhigh123
01-16-2014, 02:15 PM
per BD, most of the yellows are caught off the bottom and on yoyo's mainly... i would call the landing and get some tips... some luck on using the salas jigs

fullstringer
01-19-2014, 05:13 PM
thanks for all the info and will be using it next weekend,sure glad I checked with the dock and they had us going out the 25th almost took a 2hr ride for nothing. will report with pics

Frequent Flyer
01-21-2014, 06:04 PM
If fishing braid fill it up with 65 lb then fish a 40 lb topshot for yoyo and dropper loops. Salas 6x jr in scrambled egg and blue and white for irons

ErikAllen17
01-22-2014, 08:14 AM
What should I take for tackle just for a 3/4 day trip ?Line braid or mono,weights, hooks, lures, just the basics for this trip don't want to spend alot of $$.

It's been awhile since I've been on a boat... but shouldn't they have a supply of appropriate rods/reels and tackles for anglers to use as part of your ticket or for rent?

flyhigh123
01-22-2014, 11:05 AM
It's been awhile since I've been on a boat... but shouldn't they have a supply of appropriate rods/reels and tackles for anglers to use as part of your ticket or for rent?

they have rod and reel for rent, but not to use for free. as for tackle they would give you a sinker, hook and live bait, but they don't let you use any jigs/lures.

fullstringer
01-22-2014, 03:34 PM
that's what the guys who booked the charter are telling me everything is included ? when I went out on a all day boat a couple years ago we rented the reels and got a couple of hooks for bluefin so I'm trying to get my bigger reels ready 1 baitcaster for YT,1 spinning for rockfish already have 2 yo-yo's scrambled egg and blue/white 6x, the fish counts have been good so hoping for action this Saturday. This trip will also have bunks????

etucker1959
01-22-2014, 06:22 PM
that's what the guys who booked the charter are telling me everything is included ? when I went out on a all day boat a couple years ago we rented the reels and got a couple of hooks for bluefin so I'm trying to get my bigger reels ready 1 baitcaster for YT,1 spinning for rockfish already have 2 yo-yo's scrambled egg and blue/white 6x, the fish counts have been good so hoping for action this Saturday. This trip will also have bunks????

No bunks are available on the Mission Belle. The Yellowtail fishing has also taken a powder at least for now.

fullstringer
01-23-2014, 04:12 PM
it figures, hope they can find them before Saturday. we are now on the Vagabond and the YT count is 0 not good.

fullstringer
01-26-2014, 04:02 PM
had a great time on the this trip no yellowtail but the reds did bite, I caught a few along with a nice lingcod.The crew was great helped out and had patience with snags.I will be looking forward to my next trip.