PDA

View Full Version : Stocking vs. built in boot waders

The_Dude
01-14-2014, 08:07 AM
I am looking to purchase a pair of waders here in the near future and have noticed that they come in two styles. Either with just the waterproof stocking or with the boots built into the waders.

Is there any sort of recommendation as to which would be better to look at or is it mainly all about preference. I do like the ones with the boots attached, but am wondering about the weight of the boots and from removing and putting on the waders, if they would be more prone to ripping, compared to the stocking foot waders.

As well, with the stocking foot, are they completely waterproof or do you need to buy boots to go with them.

LOLO
01-14-2014, 09:11 AM
I have had both kinds I got the boot ones first and they were clumsy and heavy then I went with the stocking foot and they are a huge difference for the better and yes you need to get boots for them. What I did is that I went to Payless shoes and got some cheap hiking boots two sizes bigger than what I normally wear and as long as I rinsed them regularly they last two to three years.i hope this helps

DarkShadow
01-14-2014, 11:28 AM
The stockingfoot models ensure you don't look like a clown when your built in boots are 3 sizes too big, and you can't go down a size in waders because then your waders then fit like a body suit.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/838/vqo3.jpg

Stockingfoots ensure that you get a boot that actually fits, and is comfortable as well.

seal
01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Stockingfoot's for sure. Well unless you hit the surf. Last time this subject came up I insisted on stocking feet but was reminded some use it primarily for surf fishing and trying to keep sand out via gators is not that easy. I do use mine for surf fishing but I also put up with having to occasionally de-sand my boots.

That's about the ONLY reason why I'd get boot foot instead!

DarkShadow
01-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Stockingfoot's for sure. Well unless you hit the surf. Last time this subject came up I insisted on stocking feet but was reminded some use it primarily for surf fishing and trying to keep sand out via gators is not that easy. I do use mine for surf fishing but I also put up with having to occasionally de-sand my boots.

That's about the ONLY reason why I'd get boot foot instead!

Seal,

How are those Simms waders holding up for you?

I've used mine about half a dozen times and absolutely love them. And a great buy at $75 bucks. LOL!

seal
01-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Seal,

How are those Simms waders holding up for you?

I've used mine about half a dozen times and absolutely love them. And a great buy at $75 bucks. LOL!

Love um! Will never go back to White Rivers, Stearns, Hodgeman etc.... again. It took me years to figure out that going cheap costs you up the butt later when it comes to waders.

City Dad
01-15-2014, 10:22 AM
I go stocking-foot in freshwater and boot-foot at the beach. Have found that sand eventually gets into any kind of stocking-foot/boot/flats shoe/diving shoe combo.

DarkShadow
01-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Have found that sand eventually gets into any kind of stocking-foot/boot/flats shoe/diving shoe combo.

Needs more duct tape.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5059/5477884493_4150a4bf4b.jpg