PDA

View Full Version : Which beaches for a first time surf session?

tomar19
01-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Like the title says, I'll be heading out for a weekend beach trip and my first surf session. I'll be traveling about 2hrs to the coast from the desert, so lets say beaches between La Jolla and Huntington. I'm not looking for anyone to give up their honey holes, I'm just looking for a starting point. Of course, if anyone feels the urge to PM me with specific AOs/info it would not go unappreciated. I'll probably arrive mid day Saturday, get the lay of the land, and fish Sunday morning.

The wonderful reports here have me obsessed with hitting the salt. My new surf obsession has me picking up new gear already. The surf 101 sickies have been a great resource. I think I'm pretty well set up for BSPs on plastic and I picked up some hard baits to see if I can find a Hali. Is it bad that I'm picking up the lingo before I even get on the surf? lol.

Thanks for looking and sharing if you choose to.

skunked4life
01-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Tomar19,

Huntington beach seems like it has been quiet so far this year. Newport seems the same. San Diego area like TP seems like it is producing but I cannot tell you from experience. I know that it is a 2 hour drive out but just relax and have fun.

Skunked4life

tomar19
01-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the reply S4L. Funny how things work. Since I've been talking about heading to the beach, the misses wanted to make it a short beach get away, understanding I would need a few hours to wet a line. I gave my wife the same range of beach options and she wants to go to Newport lol.

No big deal, I mainly want to take the tips I've been reading here and apply them on the sand. Any experience is good experience. If there is no action, I can live with that. If anyone is planning on hitting Newport Saturday evening or Sunday morning. I'll be the newb in tan waders, olive full brim hat, and a small camel back backpack. stop by and say hello.

I plan on trying to hit the coast at least once a month. So if there are any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

skunked4life
01-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Newport is great. That's my home turf. It has just been quiet lately...or maybe it's just that I haven't been lately. Lots of decent sized BSP, big yfc, big shovel nose, and an occasional halibut. There is a lot of beach to cover there so have fun!