PDA

View Full Version : Balboa skunk 1/11/14

The_Dude
01-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Headed down to the Balboa area just before the morning sunrise on Saturday. Water was pretty calm and extremely clear. Noticed a lot of seaweed in the surf and figured it would be a decent morning. Started out throwing a Christmas Tree BH swimbait to see if I could get any halibut but after walking the beach for a hour throwing it, I decided to rig up a C-Rig with a 2 inch camo worm.

Got a couple short bites but never got to hook up.

Think I will be heading further north up the coast next time and see what I can find. Twice I have fished this area and it is proving to be very stingy so far.

skunked4life
01-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Dude...2 skunks at Balboa is the norm. I fished that beach until I was blue in the face but when it produced, it PRODUCED. Just be patient and persistent. Sorry that sounds like poopy advice, but that is the advice that was given to me when I first started and it works. Try and spend the time out there learning the structure, tides, swells, etc... BUT--if you are going to head further north, try the inlet area.

Best of luck.

Skunked4life

The_Dude
01-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Dude...2 skunks at Balboa is the norm. I fished that beach until I was blue in the face but when it produced, it PRODUCED. Just be patient and persistent. Sorry that sounds like poopy advice, but that is the advice that was given to me when I first started and it works. Try and spend the time out there learning the structure, tides, swells, etc... BUT--if you are going to head further north, try the inlet area.

Best of luck.

Skunked4life

that is really good to hear that the skunk is normal down there, was starting to think I smelled bad :LOL: Was given a tip on a couple of spots in Huntington so figured I would start off there my next trip and start working the beach north until I either find myself a honey hole or I hit Malibu

murrieta angler
01-14-2014, 04:37 PM
DUDE!!
At least you're getting out! :Wink:
Robert
<><

bachiboy
01-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Tough time of year. Best thing to do is exactly what you're planning. Hit and move till you locate some fish. Heck of a try out there and good luck on the hunt!

Don

DockRat
01-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Dude

Where's my car ?

The_Dude
01-15-2014, 01:16 PM
The_Dude abides

Vies
01-18-2014, 08:06 AM
Sorry bro i was up at the pier last saturday and got a whole lot of mini bites but nothing. We are on the same boat! but theres still next time to kill it!

Cheers!

_vies