PDA

View Full Version : Good Friends, Good Times, and Some More Legals to Boot! - S.W.A.T. Weekend Roundup

skunked4life
01-13-2014, 07:30 AM
Prologue:
So the honey hole has continued to produce. I have buckled down and been working furiously at work and getting back into my church activities. Still, I have been a bad boy. Fishing has been on my mind 24/7 and I can't sleep. I have been trying hard to get as many S.W.A.T. brothers onto this action and have been mildly successful. This was going to be my last big push to get some more people on.

AO: Classified
Conditions: Lake-like waters, decently clear water clarity, bait fish presence
Gear: ST Croix Wild River 8ft casting; Shimano Calcutta gt te 200; 12 lb mono; LCFM110 MS Ghost Jack Smelt

Saturday:
Mid-week, I get a call from a good friend of mine, Jay. He is my oldest friend in California and used to be an avid fisherman until he and his wife had their first child. Then he moved to Burbank and fishing is difficult for him. Anyways, I told him that I would need to get some advice about sharing the "spot" and that I would get back to him. Friday night came about and it was "game on."

Got to the AO super early because I knew it would be SRO. Jay brought his fly fishing rod to "practice" casting in case he skunked. I told him that he would not have time to practice fly casting. During the first hour and a half, several people began trickling in, some that I knew, some that I did not. PTN and entourage, SP Dan, Kelly and Kenichi, and....MurrietaAngler! This was one cameo appearance that I was really happy about!

We all started catching. We all shared stories, hugs, handshakes and HEADSHAKES!

Jay hooked into his first legal in years. It was 23" solid and he was stoked. Too busy dressing it to take home to his family, he did not take pictures. I hooked into #5 of the year shortly thereafter.
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a589/benjilovers/EA6101FE-53BE-4068-894A-4D7FA3219358_zpsrqn5rblv.jpg (http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/benjilovers/media/EA6101FE-53BE-4068-894A-4D7FA3219358_zpsrqn5rblv.jpg.html)

I thought that I saw PTN hook into a couple legals but it turned out I was wrong. Robert came up and ambushed us and told us about his first legal of 2014! Way to go Robert! Dan, Robert, Kelly all landed legals with Kelly having the hot stick with 3 legals (I think). We did alot of talking in between catching and it was just like a mini-S.W.A.T. reunion. I was so happy to see my brothers again! Dan landed a solid 24" and offered it to me to take home since I had let all of my prior ones go and today's legal was barely 22.5". What a guy!

As the bite started to turn off, we decide to leave and I hook into my last short (4 for the day). At first, it pulled hard and I saw the tail splash way out in the lake, er I mean ocean. Dan and Robert see the hook up and ask if it is legal. I say it is probably barely legal! This would have been my 6th of the year. Robert and Dan took turns shouting their predictions..."21.75....21.8....21.99...." Wow, do these guys know how to razz it up! :Razz: I beach the guy and know it is way too close. Measured it at 21.75. Talk about jinxing things. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Said my goodbyes and was already thinking of Sunday.

Sunday:
So I speak with brother Sidified on Friday about possibly getting in on the action. On Friday, I told him that I suspected ALOT of people to be there. I was right. I told Sid to either bring his Yak or consider Sunday. He said Sunday. I got to the AO and no one was there. Made a few casts and then decided to go look for the "old man." Sid texted that he was on his way. So, I make it back to my spot and what??? Dan, Kelly and his friend Jeff are there! Good Morning Guys! How did you guys sneak past me and onto the beach!?!? :EyePop::Shocked::LOL: I made the rounds of handshakes and hugs. Finally, Sid arrived. Then Nippletwister arrived! I had heard rumors that John would be out but these rumors had been going on for a week now. Finally he got out. So happy to see you too John! Now that the party is here, we begin. Hal hour goes by..nothing. I say, greylight is prime time guys! 1 hour goes by...nothing. Another half hour goes by...nothing. Now Dan is putting on his one-man act and we are all being entertained, but I was so upset with myself that Sid and John were out here finally and they were not seeing the action that I had spoke of. FINALLY, Jeff is on his first....after a few zzzzzz runs, it is beached. It was short. Great Job on the first strike!

Now, I am really, really upset. Look, don't read this and think that I am a glory hound or greedy...My mission today was to get John and Sid on some legals. Dan is continuously encouraging me. I had about 45 minutes left before I needed to head out for church. Kelly suggests that I start praying now. So, I did. I cleared my head and thought...maybe they moved out of dodge. So, I begin a short recon. I fish up and down the coast and then I manage a hit! A skunkbuster!
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a589/benjilovers/67E17EF6-C0E1-4904-986E-0AAACF11C440_zpsx2h8wcit.jpg (http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/benjilovers/media/67E17EF6-C0E1-4904-986E-0AAACF11C440_zpsx2h8wcit.jpg.html)

I manage another short. I yell at the top of my lungs to get the squad over here but they couldn't hear me. I make a long cast out and BAM! A very solid hit. I worked for this one! He took some runs and pulled drag. Finally beached it.
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a589/benjilovers/43B69FA6-40A6-41C7-8628-D549B8ADFA0C_zpseqanopew.jpg (http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/benjilovers/media/43B69FA6-40A6-41C7-8628-D549B8ADFA0C_zpseqanopew.jpg.html)
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a589/benjilovers/8F469597-0101-450E-9586-78B200468E17_zpsvhti7olr.jpg (http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/benjilovers/media/8F469597-0101-450E-9586-78B200468E17_zpsvhti7olr.jpg.html)
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a589/benjilovers/5CF39B4C-A723-4D0C-B8D0-314406F6D141_zpss0tfmzns.jpg (http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/benjilovers/media/5CF39B4C-A723-4D0C-B8D0-314406F6D141_zpss0tfmzns.jpg.html)

A solid 24" for my 6th legal of the year! This one is going to church with me! Sharing is caring. I HAUL *** to the other guys and tell them to get over there while there are fish to be had...Then I make the run to my car. I am LATE for church. Hope that the Halibut will appease the pastors...

Later that evening we feasted on the legal that Dan graciously gave to me. We are firm believers of snout to tail eating and so after filleting the beast, I made some Korean Fish Stew...
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a589/benjilovers/D8851C67-CB28-41DF-8B9F-99F9538E3918_zpsrmkd9rca.jpg (http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/benjilovers/media/D8851C67-CB28-41DF-8B9F-99F9538E3918_zpsrmkd9rca.jpg.html)
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a589/benjilovers/20539339-16AF-4769-B07E-6BBB47B5287E_zpskoj9xvxa.jpg (http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/benjilovers/media/20539339-16AF-4769-B07E-6BBB47B5287E_zpskoj9xvxa.jpg.html)

Prologue:
After beating myself up for not being able to get Sid and John onto some legals, I immediately reached out to them. I realized that these are guys who really "get it" and wouldn't harbor ill feelings for such things. Thanks guys for being you! The fellowship is first and foremost! Everything else will come with time. Next time fellas!

P.S. Kelly - thanks for the "loaner." I will put it to great use. See you in a couple of weeks.

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken

ErikAllen17
01-13-2014, 08:25 AM
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a589/benjilovers/20539339-16AF-4769-B07E-6BBB47B5287E_zpskoj9xvxa.jpg (http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/benjilovers/media/20539339-16AF-4769-B07E-6BBB47B5287E_zpskoj9xvxa.jpg.html)

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about... gotta hit me up dude. I'm your Huckleberry! Call me and I will (and possibly Nick too) be there on the sand with you! PM me your cell number and we'll coordinate something. Till then...

efrain
01-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Good job on the Hali's, you guys have had a great run! Also, awesome of you to try and put your friends on fish, that is what fishing is, sharing.

remington
01-13-2014, 09:07 AM
You were the man yesterday, great job Ken!

Kelly

TUNAVIC
01-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Awesome all the way around,the read,pics,recipes,it was all good! Thanks

Cya TUNAVIC

sshaffr812
01-13-2014, 10:44 AM
You have been on FIRE!!! I remember when I first joined fnn you were struggling to find the legals. Not now! Congrats.

bachiboy
01-13-2014, 11:20 AM
So, Arthur once put it to me...feels pretty awesome on Cloud 9, eh? You've surpassed your legal count for 2013 in a half months time. Don't kick yourself too hard about the guys not getting on the fish. I've been there too with the Kimble hunt. You gave it a try and there was no telling when that hole was gonna dry up. I say, let it rest and we'll check it out later....like it a day or two!:ROFL::Wink:

Congrats on no. 6!
Don

SP Dan
01-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Brotha Ken,

I am so happy for you and am completely jazzed about the lead that you quickly grabbed on the 2014 SWAT Leader Board! :EyePop: WOW!!!
Don't ease up on your lead Brotha ... all of us dogs are barking at your heals!

I am cheering you on Ken! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

ToadsToadsOnly
01-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Too bad I got such a late start and did not run into you guys I would of love to be out there with the whole crew and I would of been perfect target practice for you guys to cast at on my yak.

anchor3n1
01-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Hi Ken:

Six flat ones and it's only the 12th of January??? I can only wonder what your count will end up by June let alone the end of this year. Pretty awesome, Ken!!!

But I so want to encourage you to keep posting your fishin' adventures and putting forth your creative style cuz they/you are so funny - please. I get a kick out of 'em every time and I get to feel the action too(I know that's how all of us readers feel).:EyePop:

Be blessed,

Nick

DockRat
01-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Hey Ken I don't think Halibut should be eaten raw. Most Halibut have worms in the meat and the meat should be held up to a bright light for inspection.
Best if you cook them to kill any worms. Google it and check it out.
I would think drinking multiple shots of hard liquor while you eat raw halibut ? Lol. It works in Mexico to kill ingested bugs.:LOL:
DR

Found this on another site
If you eat raw halibut meat prividing you have frozen it for about 4-6 days. then let it defrost in the fridge. that will kill worms/parasites.
however, eating it raw off the fish is not a good idea. there have been reports of people pulling hand over hand the infamous tapeworm as a result of sashimi halibut.

TroutOnly
01-14-2014, 07:10 AM
VERY NICE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

murrieta angler
01-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Brotha Ken,
This is turning out to be one heck of butt race...:LOL:
Keep up the good work and I'm sure, many more will hit the sand...:Wink:
No worries about your text last night...I don't own any beach front property...:Big Grin:
Take care Bro,
Robert
<><

skunked4life
01-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about... gotta hit me up dude. I'm your Huckleberry! Call me and I will (and possibly Nick too) be there on the sand with you! PM me your cell number and we'll coordinate something. Till then...

Yeah Eric, looks like I am going to quiet down on the fishing front for awhile. I am overwhelmed with life all of a sudden. Thanks for the reply and may your 2014 be as productive as your 2013 was!

Good job on the Hali's, you guys have had a great run! Also, awesome of you to try and put your friends on fish, that is what fishing is, sharing.

Thanks Efrain. It turned out that even sharing had its limits. All you can do is try though, right?

Awesome all the way around,the read,pics,recipes,it was all good! Thanks

Cya TUNAVIC

Thanks TUNAVIC! I try to make my reports as well rounded as possible in order to get "The message" across.

You have been on FIRE!!! I remember when I first joined fnn you were struggling to find the legals. Not now! Congrats.

Ha! :LOL: Steve, I know how it feels to have an infant around the house. You are a good man for keeping your priorities straight! I am going into housewife mode here shortly as my wife is entering into tax season. Get out there and slay them for me will ya?

You were the man yesterday, great job Ken!

Kelly

Kelly, it was good seeing you last weekend and this morning. I see that you are adapting to the situation there and your continued persistence and adaptations will pay off! Not that you need any more legals to add to your count. :LOL::EyePop:

So, Arthur once put it to me...feels pretty awesome on Cloud 9, eh? You've surpassed your legal count for 2013 in a half months time. Don't kick yourself too hard about the guys not getting on the fish. I've been there too with the Kimble hunt. You gave it a try and there was no telling when that hole was gonna dry up. I say, let it rest and we'll check it out later....like it a day or two!:ROFL::Wink:

Congrats on no. 6!
Don

Thanks ALWAYS Sensei! You are always encouraging (that's code for tempting-:Evil:) me to get out there and I appreciate that immensely. Having said that, now that I too am on the "hallpass" system, looks like my time is more valuable than ever! I hope that you had good fortune this morning Marshall Don!

Brotha Ken,

I am so happy for you and am completely jazzed about the lead that you quickly grabbed on the 2014 SWAT Leader Board! :EyePop: WOW!!!
Don't ease up on your lead Brotha ... all of us dogs are barking at your heals!

I am cheering you on Ken! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Dan, if not for your "go for broke" (hopefully you get that reference) attitude and not-so-subtle jokes and prodding, I don't know how I could ever really enjoy fishing! You are always making me smile and laugh. You called it on Sunday brother! I managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat and it is thanks to you! Thanks for being you!

Too bad I got such a late start and did not run into you guys I would of love to be out there with the whole crew and I would of been perfect target practice for you guys to cast at on my yak.

TTO, with your fish counts, I needed a head start on those fish! WOW! You had a stellar year last year and to start this year! Great job slaying them!

Hi Ken:

Six flat ones and it's only the 12th of January??? I can only wonder what your count will end up by June let alone the end of this year. Pretty awesome, Ken!!!

But I so want to encourage you to keep posting your fishin' adventures and putting forth your creative style cuz they/you are so funny - please. I get a kick out of 'em every time and I get to feel the action too(I know that's how all of us readers feel).:EyePop:

Be blessed,

Nick

Thanks Nick! I am glad that there is an audience for my reports. May the scripture hold true to your fishing adventures! John 21:3-6.

Hey Ken I don't think Halibut should be eaten raw. Most Halibut have worms in the meat and the meat should be held up to a bright light for inspection.
Best if you cook them to kill any worms. Google it and check it out.
I would think drinking multiple shots of hard liquor while you eat raw halibut ? Lol. It works in Mexico to kill ingested bugs.:LOL:
DR

Found this on another site
If you eat raw halibut meat prividing you have frozen it for about 4-6 days. then let it defrost in the fridge. that will kill worms/parasites.
however, eating it raw off the fish is not a good idea. there have been reports of people pulling hand over hand the infamous tapeworm as a result of sashimi halibut.

That would explain the creepy crawlies in my baby's diaper last night! Doh! :Shocked: Thanks for the heads up.

VERY NICE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

THANK...............YOU................T/O! I want to get in on some trout action this year before it's too late! I have been saying that every year since moving to the Vine but to no avail. Maybe this year!

Brotha Ken,
This is turning out to be one heck of butt race...:LOL:
Keep up the good work and I'm sure, many more will hit the sand...:Wink:
No worries about your text last night...I don't own any beach front property...:Big Grin:
Take care Bro,
Robert
<><

Robert! It was really great to see you on Saturday! I am glad that you got in on some of the action. Hope to see more of you this upcoming year. We need to fish with our Southern Commander alot more this year!

Wingnut
01-18-2014, 01:02 PM
SIX frickin' legal Halibut in the first two weeks of the year?!? Are you kidding me Brother Ken??? :Envious:
Now you know that last year, Peter (PTN) got off to a 7 to 0 Halibut lead on me right? :Wink: :LOL: :Twisted:
Keep up the great job my friend, I couldn't be more prouder of you. Not only for all your nice catches, but your willingness to share this epic bite with your S.W.A.T. Brothers. :Big Grin: Even though I wasn't able to get in on this hot bite... with all the updates I was getting right from the sand, I felt that I was right there with you guys... :Cool:

Catching fish is always a bonus, but it looks like S.W.A.T. made quite a few new friends out there too. http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif