PDA

View Full Version : What a difference a week makes

Bassfan
01-12-2014, 09:08 AM
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y492/p846713/008_zps7227783e.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/p846713/media/008_zps7227783e.jpg.html)
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y492/p846713/013_zpsc8f0e35b.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/p846713/media/013_zpsc8f0e35b.jpg.html)
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y492/p846713/014_zps49547192.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/p846713/media/014_zps49547192.jpg.html)

After a very disappointing Castaic trip last week I was back at it this Saturday (Jan. 11). The line was let in the upper gate at 6:30 and per the new procedure they pre-checked the cars and boats in the dark and when 7:00 came around a flood of fishermen went right in.

While I waited to get in I saw several stripers chasing trout on the surface of the lake. They had just stocked on Friday and although I didn’t see the trout at the launch the stripers were pointing to where they went. I launched quickly and had two 8” swim baits ready to troll. As I headed to the target area the stripers were “boiling” coming up a few at a time and crashing the trout. One guy cast a lure to the spot where a striper just surfaced and got hit right away by a nice size fish.

My plan was just to troll for them so I didn’t even have anything appropriate to throw so at 7:10, the swim bait rigs went in and at 7:20 one rod went off with my first ever swim bait troll fish, at 4 -5 lb. It was just like in the video with Bill Siemantel, very exciting.

Kept trolling a bit further and then decided to motor back to the area where I started and repeat the same path. As I was letting out the second line, the first rod started screaming but not in a good way.
A guy in Bayliner ran behind me and snagged my new BBZ 8” and was hauling ***** down the lake with it.

I yelled and luckily he stopped before he got all my line but the swim bait was gone along with 70 ft. of braid that was wrapped in his prop. I spent the next 15 minutes trying to see the lost swim bait floating somewhere but nothing. My loss will be a great prize for the guy that finds it.

That was the end of trolling for the day and with the boat traffic the surface activity died early so it was time to try bait. Motored to an area near one of Ron/fishinone’s many, many spots and anchored.
Weather was great with only a very light breeze. There were some water skiers making huge waves but that’s the way it is. Got to talk with Dan and Lulu when they were wrapping up their day.

Saw lots of activity on the fish finder but the bite was very slow. Picked off a bunch of small ones every now and then but looking at the graph it seemed like it should have been wide open. Just threw the small ones back.
Around noon, things got a little better. It still took a while in between bites but instead of small ones, I started to get mostly bigger sizes. After having 5 bigger ones in the cooler, I decided to keep one of the 1.25 lb. size ones so it would show in a photo how big the others are by comparison. The biggest was just under 7 lb. and most of the rest were 3-4.5 lb.

That decision cost me in the end because as I was reeling in the 10th keeper fish to end the day the 2nd rod went off and another 4 lb. one was on that line. The little one was dead by now so I had to throw back the big one.
After a day with so many nice fish, I can’t complain.

Note to Fishingwithdave; This is what I wanted for us last week! We have to try a do-over whenever you’re ready.

cutbait
01-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Great trip BF

FishingwithDave
01-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Other than the BBZ tragedy, it looks like you had a good day. Congrats on picking up your first swimbait trolling Striper! That's awesome.

Definitely look forward to getting out there with you again one of these days.

Dave

Stumpknocker
01-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Fantastic limit! You'd think that the guy in the Bayliner, if he's there to fish, would be aware of people having trolling lines out, but I guess not...

TroutOnly
01-12-2014, 10:44 AM
great job jim , i hate when guys do that,,,,,,ive lost too much line and lures to people not paying attention,,,i think me and cory are going there next sat,,,,,,,,,hope to see you if youre there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

chefgary
01-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Nice trip Bassfan, what rod is that looks like a whuppin stick from cabelas, can you tell me what rod length and action it is i was thinking of buying a couple :)

Bassfan
01-12-2014, 11:19 AM
great job jim , i hate when guys do that,,,,,,ive lost too much line and lures to people not paying attention,,,i think me and cory are going there next sat,,,,,,,,,hope to see you if youre there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks Bob, I will see you guys there Saturday if the winds don't blow it out. Is Cory ever coming back to FNN or is a life sentence?
When I look back on the Bayliner incident I learned a good lesson about being extra cautious since the BBZ was a floater and very vulnerable.
Rookie mistake on my part since the only trolling I've done was with u-rigs that were below surface enough to have some protection.

Bassfan
01-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Nice trip Bassfan, what rod is that looks like a whuppin stick from cabelas, can you tell me what rod length and action it is i was thinking of buying a couple :)

You are correct, it is a Whuppin' stick. One of the many things I learned from fishinone is you need a soft tip rod for baitfishing stripers so I bought two. One tip is to buy the 6'6" medium, it has a softer tip than my 7' Med-light.

chefgary
01-12-2014, 11:27 AM
sweet thank you for the advice its much apprciated!

fishinone
01-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Nice catch Bassfan. That's a nice grade of fish that you caught. I can't believe that your fishing in my spot. LOL

TroutOnly
01-12-2014, 05:58 PM
the other worry jim with surface trolling trout type lures for the stripers are the eagles and ospreys ,one day a few years back i was slaying some pig stripers in the cove area of the c-point and a golden eagle grabbed my a/c plug and tried to fly away with it the ospreys also over near the marina right after a trout stocking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
01-13-2014, 07:13 AM
the other worry jim with surface trolling trout type lures for the stripers are the eagles and ospreys ,one day a few years back i was slaying some pig stripers in the cove area of the c-point and a golden eagle grabbed my a/c plug and tried to fly away with it the ospreys also over near the marina right after a trout stocking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,

That's cool! What's the limit on those golden eagles?

TroutOnly
01-13-2014, 07:27 AM
You kill an eagle ,then we come visit you in prison,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bassfan
01-13-2014, 09:18 AM

Its looking like I might re-think trolling surface lures after all the issues that come with them. I hooked a seagull last year when he grabbed a cast Sammy off the surface and it was no fun trying to get him unhooked at the boat. I can't imagine having to deal with an eagle or osprey.

Fishin4runner
01-13-2014, 11:01 AM
I myself like the slow sink and fast sink swimbaits. When trolling them they stay around four to five feet below the surface and if you pay attention to the boat traffic around your lure and see an oncoming boat just freewheel the spool and your lure will sink below the on coming boat. Not sure if this will work against the eagles as they can come out of nowhere.

fishinone
01-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Its looking like I might re-think trolling surface lures after all the issues that come with them. I hooked a seagull last year when he grabbed a cast Sammy off the surface and it was no fun trying to get him unhooked at the boat. I can't imagine having to deal with an eagle or osprey.

Just grab the seagull by the end of it's wingtip and it will quit struggling. they have sense enough not to break there own wing. I've done this, it works.

Bassfan
01-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Just grab the seagull by the end of it's wingtip and it will quit struggling. they have sense enough not to break there own wing. I've done this, it works.

Will that work with Eagles? :Confused:

fishinone
01-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Will that work with Eagles? :Confused:

I haven't tried that. Ask T/O.

trail blazer
01-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Great report bassfan!,,,,,,,,,,love the swimmy troll report,,,,,,,,just curious,,,,,,,did you troll the swimmys with the gas or troll motor?,,Iv always used troll mtr but was wondering if anybody ever used there engine

Fishin4runner
01-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Great report bassfan!,,,,,,,,,,love the swimmy troll report,,,,,,,,just curious,,,,,,,did you troll the swimmys with the gas or troll motor?,,Iv always used troll mtr but was wondering if anybody ever used there engine

Hey T/B the other day when i went out and caught those 3 and lost 2 on the swims I used my gas motor.

Bassfan
01-14-2014, 10:01 PM

Hi TB, I used the trolling motor and just guessed about how fast to go.
My gas motor at its slowest goes 2.5 mph minimum and I wanted to try it slower.
Just ordered more BBZ's and will try again with a new level of caution for birds and boaters behind me.