PDA

View Full Version : SWAT North Of LA Personal Best! - Perchin' Dave, my getting started story ....

Perchin' Dave
01-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Persistence is key.

Ever heard that before .. Persistence is key? Well, I have. I've been tried and tested, and re-tested for the last 2.5 months, and hey, I even stopped fishing altogether. Has this ever happened with you? You fish your best and fish that way several times. You persist but find -nothing-?!! I would like to encourage each of you now by telling you my story ... of how I persisted and as a result, have grown tremendously .... and end this post you'll hear my story, my Personal Best.

Here's how my story began. I fished as a kid, my dad was an avid fisherman. We moved from upstate New York, my dad built his own fiberglass 17' canoe and when we moved to Santa Barbara, we brought that with us. We used to canoe and fish for halibut and catch a bunch 'back in the day' We rented boats and trolled for bonita (great smoked), fished for yellowtail on the all day boats, and caught a lot of species that are less common today. Now, for the most part, I had a lot of beginners luck and a big ego. I did pretty well for a kid not knowing anything. I was attracted to freshwater fishing, mostly stream and river fishing because I could find and fish the structure and do fairly well with limited ability (my personal best was 60 trout in an hour until I ran out of salmon eggs, ha!)

Fast forward a bunch of years and here's where my second story begins ... I re-started fishing 16 years ago and rediscovered fishing as if I had never fished before, and that if I did it right, that fishing is fun. A friend of mine, Mike Carmel, got me going as an adult (by this time I am married, a dad with kids) and invited me out surf-fishing in the fall under good conditions, a good tide, good structure, some beautiful clouds in the sky, an amazing sunset and from that point on I was HOOKED!

Realize, that those who knew me well at that time didn't understand what was about to change. They knew me as a backpacker, photographer, camper, day hiker, snorkeler, youth group volunteer, recording studio owner, one who led songs on his guitar, home business builder ... they knew that side of me ... But none of them knew or had a clue of what was about to begin. After that first day back on the water, and shortly thereafter, I made the decision I was going to "MASTER" the craft in the way/style that I fish. NOT to be a master fisherman who is versatile like Exfactor (Mikey Doering) or Dawn Treader (Brad Bailey). But to develop my skill to the point that on any day under any condition I could catch fish, mostly Barred Surf Perch from the shore since they were the most plentiful. Yet even with my limited fishing style, on a good year I would catch up to 7 species from shore fishing a grub and carolina rig.

........So it began, my passion to learn the craft. I made the decision ... and ... I fished -every-day- for two years, just to 'master' and become expert in the way that I fish. Persistence is key! I fished once or twice a day, under every condition. I learned a lot. The first year I got as good as I could with what I could learn on my own. I didn't ask questions, seek advice, I just would learn by trial and error. By repetition and by experience.

But .... learned a lot more the second year when I got over myself, my ego, and started asking questions around every person I met. I learned not just from my experience, but their years of experience too. My second year saw -rapid- improvement and results. Why? Because I was learning from others, applying, finessing, learning more, and asking more questions. It was a banner second year. It became a challenge to see if I could fish under this condition or that. I knew the only places to fish when the waves were 8'. When there were no waves, with murky water, with kelp everywhere, with no structure, and with structure. The following condition was especially difficult for me to master. How to fish a East Swell, with a 35 mph wind in driving rain with 3-4 foot surf, and do REALLY well! So after my two years of fishing every day, my fishing got to be a bit more sane. I didn't go out every day, maybe fished once or twice a week and always caught and always produced high numbers yet always had fun!

Fast forward to mid October 2013. The conditions changed and the fish .... are gone. Imagine how this fisherman felt. I couldn't find fish anywhere at any beach. With all the skills and experience and time I had put in to excel at this sport, and now, I would go out and get skunked, again and again. Nothing was there at any beach, no fish were to be found (at any beach on any day, not even a bite)

Just so you understand ... after mastering (perching with a grub) my personal stats are ... catching from 3-10 fish or more per hour under any condition on any given day .... unless .... they aren't to be found. My personal record for numbers in 149 perch in 4.5 hours. So you can totally understand why ... I stopped fishing in October, and all of November and December.

Why stop? I fish to have fun and it isn't fun when I don't catch anything. To catch hardly a fish on any given day for a few months ... was unusual to say the least, er, rather, it never happened, ever. Looking back, there were reasons. We had extended periods with flat wave-less surf fishing. No bait or signs of bait. NO HALIBUT to be found north of LA (I used to average 40-60 halibut a year on a grub and hadn't found -any- halibut in 2.5 years, not one!) You probably know if you have surf fished even a little, when it comes to barred surf perch, no waves, no structure, no bait, equals no fish.

Ok ... lets fast forward to ... today and the first new year. It is now January in 2014.

Seven time out since January 1st 2014
Here's my story that ends the "no fish" for 75 days and includes my personal best BSP. I have fished seven times since January 1st. My nephew Graham was visiting, he's 23 so we fished the Breakwater since it didn't require a license, he was out of state and I hadn't got mine yet. Day one, five BSP, the largest was 8". We fished for an hour. It showed promise, so we went out the next day and "we" caught one. 11". Ok for the breakwater. There are no fish there right now and one 11" is better than none. My nephew flies back home and I fish another beach with DawnTreader. We catch a few, my largest 12", DawnTreader 13.5". I go back the next morning on my own and find 40 in two hours, hey it was a thrill to break the fishing drought, my largest is 13 with a few 11" and 12", a fun day! We go back the next night and the waves are pounding and the water is dirty, the beach is steep, and found very little success although Dawn Treader did catch a 14" BSP and I caught a two pound grass bass (on a grub? go figure, I haven't done that before). I go solo again this morning and find two dinks in two hours. (persistence IS key) The water is dirty, the waves too big. So we go again tonight (Friday) with DawnTreader. The waves are still too strong and the water is too murky a combination that is death to fishing a grub with no scent, that is dark in unclear water at last light.

(Persistence is key).

And then it happened. I have been trying to break my personal best BSP for FOUR!!! years (a note to those who don't know me, I fish a grub, and -not- the LC). My previous personal best was 15 3/4" on a grub caught at Refugio Beach north of Santa Barbara fishing with Exfactor and Wingnut at last light. I have tried and tried and tried to break that 15" barrier but haven't been able to ... until tonight. With the murky conditions I only caught three tonight (fished for one hour before the light ran out). One was 9", one was 12" and the last is now my personal best, 16". (Arthur, I finally broke 15!) Now I know that his is not a HUGE BSP, but for a grub and -not- a LC, this is my very best to day, hooray!! This fish's mouth was huge. You could put a golf ball in his mouth without opening it. It was so 'tall' that I couldn't put my hand around the top of it and it looked like it had escaped a seal and had a few battle scars that a fish this 'old' could expect to have. I carefully and quickly released it back into the water, wow, what a beauty!

But enough about me. I would like to end this report pointing back to each of you. Persistence -is- key as you fish and master the craft. Consistency and being coachable has made a definite impact on my skills. Learning to master fishing has taken a long time and I encourage each of you to not just fish the same that you have always fished ... but instead to really finesse your fishing, to grow in your skills and abilities. Surround yourselves with those who are better than you are. I have found that I have grown so much by being around others who are far better than I, Exfactor Mikey, Wingnut Arthur, DawnTreader Brad. Be coachable. And don't forget to make it fun.

Yes ... there will be seasons like the last 2.5 months when they just aren't there ... but remember also ... that the next personal best could be there as your reward ... for getting out on the water and finding ... YOUR personal best. Make it fun. Enjoy the sunrises and sunsets and enjoy the friends you share the water with. Here's to YOU. Make it awesome! Enthusiastically! Perchin' Dave

(I did not take a photo of the 16" because a bait and wait and keep and eat all that he catches fisherman was watching me). Here's three photos from the seven outings.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/Barred_zpsea686548.jpg (http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/davesomm/media/Barred_zpsea686548.jpg.html)

Perchin' Dave 14"

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/IMG_0277FNNSunset_zps1b2d427c.jpg (http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/davesomm/media/IMG_0277FNNSunset_zps1b2d427c.jpg.html)

DawnTreader fishing!

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/SeaweedBeachArtSpiral_zpsfea512f5.jpg (http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/davesomm/media/SeaweedBeachArtSpiral_zpsfea512f5.jpg.html)

Day 2 while out fishing, beach art, cool! facebook/dave.sommers1

bassmeister
01-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Nice Perch and beautiful sunset!

Perchin' Dave
01-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Nice Perch and beautiful sunset!

YES, it was. DawnTreader was so focussed on fishing that night, he didn't even notice the sunset. I almost didn't stop to take the photo since the fish were biting. dave :Smile:

Which Way Out
01-11-2014, 10:07 AM
I prefer to stay Uncoachable....

WWO

bachiboy
01-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Hey Dave,
What an epic journey you've had. That was an awesome read. Congrats on your PB and new species and hope you have another incredibly productive year that you get to share with us readers. :Wink:

Happy New Year!
Don

Perchin' Dave
01-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Hey Dave,
What an epic journey you've had. That was an awesome read. Congrats on your PB and new species and hope you have another incredibly productive year that you get to share with us readers. :Wink:

Happy New Year!
Don

Hey thanks Don, make your year, one to remember! You got it! dave

dlmoo312
01-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Congrats on your new PB surf perch and thank you for the inspiration words of wisdom.
I've been on somewhat of a fishing hiatus lately, but after this read, I feel a newfound determination to start this new year off right :Smile:
Thanks for sharing!

-Daniel

Perchin' Dave
01-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Congrats on your new PB surf perch and thank you for the inspiration words of wisdom.
I've been on somewhat of a fishing hiatus lately, but after this read, I feel a newfound determination to start this new year off right :Smile:
Thanks for sharing!

-Daniel

Go for it Daniel. I love this new season where we finally get some waves, and when fishing the sand, that structure appears. You will be rewarded with some good fishing, yes! Let me know how it goes. P. D.

skunked4life
01-11-2014, 03:33 PM
P.D.,

You know what I like best about your posts? The pictures look like post cards! They are beautiful! Thanks for the great read! I was going to take a nap but now I am back in fishing mode and getting ready for tomorrow's assault. Hope to meet up with you sometime this year and fish with the northern crew!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken

noleash
01-11-2014, 06:00 PM
If they won't take my subtle hints "MAYBE" they will listen to your infinite "WISDOM"!:Idea: :Big Grin:

Perchin' Dave
01-11-2014, 06:18 PM
P.D.,

You know what I like best about your posts? The pictures look like post cards! They are beautiful! Thanks for the great read! I was going to take a nap but now I am back in fishing mode and getting ready for tomorrow's assault. Hope to meet up with you sometime this year and fish with the northern crew!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken

Sounds great Ken, I am looking forward to your report. As I look at the tide application on my iPhone (World Tides 2014), 8:30am-11:30am looks best, be sure you are on the water, the tide is a bit low for a sunset session, not quite enough water (unless you have good structure at a low tide and the fish are around. Northern Swat doesn't have much success with fishing a 1.5 or less. To YOUR success. Glad you liked the photos. Fun Fun FUN! P.D.

TUNAVIC
01-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Great read,awesome pics,glad you didn't miss that sunset pic,kinda special,I'll be sure to share!

Cya TUNAVIC

Perchin' Dave
01-11-2014, 06:23 PM
"If they won't take my subtle hints "MAYBE" they will listen to your infinite "WISDOM"!"

Hey, NoLeash, what subtle hints are you talking about? Make yours a GREAT day, oh yeah! dave :)

Perchin' Dave
01-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Great read,awesome pics,glad you didn't miss that sunset pic,kinda special,I'll be sure to share!

Cya TUNAVIC

Thanks a bunch TUNAVIC, it was an interesting sky and I didn't think it was going to be that great of a sunset (it peeked through the clouds before the horizon just for a few, then went away when it would normally -glow- pink and other colors. When I got home and downloaded the photo from my iPhone, I saw that it was -WOW-. Very interesting sky. -WE- are so blessed to be out fishing when the during such times. Here's to your best session ever, oh yeah! P.D. (dave)

noleash
01-11-2014, 07:54 PM
"If they won't take my subtle hints "MAYBE" they will listen to your infinite "WISDOM"!"

Hey, NoLeash, what subtle hints are you talking about? Make yours a GREAT day, oh yeah! dave :)
Reading reports from Santa Barbara to San Diego all I read in the surf fishing category are anglers taking Halibut with the Lucky Craft Minnow. Knowing good and well from personal experience the mortality of small fish taken with this bait is sketchy at best. Seeing how thousands of people are relentlessly pounding the shore with this bait leads me to believe that it is in fact the beginning of the end to surf fishing for Halibut in So Cal inshore waters. It is that series! Being that your particular club is blessed with some very educated and talented individuals its my duty as an avid angler to suggest that a club meeting be in order to seriously consider with( foolish pride aside) the impact on a fishery this bait really has! I have experienced first hand the impact on a particular area of beach that I firmly believe is the result of a relentless pounding with the L C. A productive area became a ghost town a within a short while! I'm not attacking anyone in your club for anything I'm just suggesting that with the resources your team has, an advocation could be instilled that actually could save the sport of Halibut surf fishing in So Cal! PLEASE consider what I'm saying to in fact TRUE and make an effort to address this issue at your near future club meeting.:Idea: :Big Grin:

anchor3n1
01-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Hi Dave

First a hearty CONGRATULATIONS are due you on catching such a big perch (16") - on the grub no less!!! That is a great achievement and I "tip my hat" to you, sir.

However, as great as this is, what you have done for all of us in telling your "story" is arguably greater. You ignited and reignited passion and inspiration for that which we all love. But you have done it in a way that touches our hearts (certainly mine is impacted by your words). So thank you Dave for sharing.

But enough about me. I would like to end this report pointing back to each of you. Persistence -is- key as you fish and master the craft. Consistency and being coachable has made a definite impact on my skills. Learning to master fishing has taken a long time and I encourage each of you to not just fish the same that you have always fished ... but instead to really finesse your fishing, to grow in your skills and abilities. Surround yourselves with those who are better than you are. I have found that I have grown so much by being around others who are far better than I, Exfactor Mikey, Wingnut Arthur, DawnTreader Brad. Be coachable. And don't forget to make it fun.

Great counsel! I hope to meet you someday.

Blessings to you,

Nick

noleash
01-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Reading reports from Santa Barbara to San Diego all I read in the surf fishing category are anglers taking Halibut with the Lucky Craft Minnow. Knowing good and well from personal experience the mortality of small fish taken with this bait is sketchy at best. Seeing how thousands of people are relentlessly pounding the shore with this bait leads me to believe that it is in fact the beginning of the end to surf fishing for Halibut in So Cal inshore waters. It is that series! Being that your particular club is blessed with some very educated and talented individuals its my duty as an avid angler to suggest that a club meeting be in order to seriously consider with( foolish pride aside) the impact on a fishery this bait really has! I have experienced first hand the impact on a particular area of beach that I firmly believe is the result of a relentless pounding with the L C. A productive area became a ghost town a within a short while! I'm not attacking anyone in your club for anything I'm just suggesting that with the resources your team has, an advocation could be instilled that actually could save the sport of Halibut surf fishing in So Cal! PLEASE consider what I'm saying to in fact TRUE and make an effort to address this issue at your near future club meeting.:Idea: :Big Grin:
I.E No different than that of the Trout Advocate. A barbless hook = another fish for another day!:Big Grin:

noleash
01-11-2014, 09:24 PM
I.E No different than that of the Trout Advocate. A barbless hook = another fish for another day!:Big Grin:

I'm new to this internet stuff...It dawned on me that maybe the addressing of issues pertaining to saving the world should be discussed on the issue board not on some guys day at the beach report!:Idea::Big Grin:

Perchin' Dave
01-12-2014, 03:41 AM

Hey NoLeash, As I am a person who posts on facebook (mostly health tips and natural ways of being better), I find that some of my 20,000 friends and followers on facebook (fb/dave.sommers1) are not fond of fishing, believe that I am being cruel and inflicting pain on the fish and am killing them. I find that most are not aware of how I handle a fish and how the way that I fish and even with the high numbers, the impact (for me with a grub that they do not swallow because it is not the gulp), is nothing. Most times I unhook a fish it happens in a second or two and even the way I push the hook to remove it so the barbs have no impact (by pushing away from the barb while removing) makes the impact of my fishing negligible.) Now since we don't have many halibut in the colder waters of Santa Barbara area, I don't really see the impact of fishing the L/C here but understand your point. Maybe a better discussion would be this, education, on how to professionally remove treble hooks on lures or how to modify a treble to minimize damage to fish, and how -also- to handle fish for minimum impact. Although I don't fish the LC, I have many friends here who do, and since that lure is so productive, I believe you can impact the fishery by going this direction.

That said, the ocean and fishery can be pretty cruel to fish. I have pulled out many fish who have been attacked by seals and other predators and it makes the LC damage look like nothing in comparison. Even yesterday I saw a 5' dolphin washed up on the beach. My friend DawnTreader thought it may have been attacked by a shark or it could have eaten polluted fish and died that way. Yes, I believe we need to be more professional in our fishing, for the sake of the environment and for the sake of protecting our fisheries. And that is why I am a catch and release fisherman who professionally handles fish... But not all are that way. Perchin' Dave

Here's a photo to inspire that I just added, enjoy!

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/SeaweedBeachArtSpiral_zpsfea512f5.jpg (http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/davesomm/media/SeaweedBeachArtSpiral_zpsfea512f5.jpg.html)

Perchin' Dave
01-12-2014, 03:49 AM
Hi Dave

First a hearty CONGRATULATIONS are due you on catching such a big perch (16") - on the grub no less!!! That is a great achievement and I "tip my hat" to you, sir.

However, as great as this is, what you have done for all of us in telling your "story" is arguably greater. You ignited and reignited passion and inspiration for that which we all love. But you have done it in a way that touches our hearts (certainly mine is impacted by your words). So thank you Dave for sharing.

Great counsel! I hope to meet you someday.

Blessings to you,

Nick

Hey Nick, thanks a bunch. Your words are kind and appreciated and that says a lot about -YOU-. Here's to you, to being awesome! Yes, it will be an honor to connect and share the water someday. Feel free to call if you'd like to fish the Santa Barbara area. P.D. 805-708-7108 dave :)

noleash
01-12-2014, 03:54 AM
Hey NoLeash, As I am a person who posts on facebook (mostly health tips and natural ways of being better), I find that some of my 20,000 friends and followers on facebook (fb/dave.sommers1) are not fond of fishing, believe that I am being cruel and inflicting pain on the fish and am killing them. I find that most are not aware of how I handle a fish and how the way that I fish and even with the high numbers, the impact (for me with a grub that they do not swallow because it is not the gulp), is nothing. Most times I unhook a fish it happens in a second or two and even the way I push the hook to remove it so the barbs have no impact (by pushing away from the barb while removing) makes the impact of my fishing negligible.) Now since we don't have many halibut in the colder waters of Santa Barbara area, I don't really see the impact of fishing the L/C here but understand your point. Maybe a better discussion would be this, education, on how to professionally remove treble hooks on lures or how to modify a treble to minimize damage to fish, and how -also- to handle fish for minimum impact. Although I don't fish the LC, I have many friends here who do, and since that lure is so productive, I believe you can impact the fishery by going this direction.

That said, the ocean and fishery can be pretty cruel to fish. I have pulled out many fish who have been attacked by seals and other predators and it makes the LC damage look like nothing in comparison. Even yesterday I saw a 5' dolphin washed up on the beach. My friend DawnTreader thought it may have been attacked by a shark or it could have eaten polluted fish and died that way. Yes, I believe we need to be more professional in our fishing, for the sake of the environment and for the sake of protecting our fisheries. And that is why I am a catch and release fisherman who professionally handles fish... But not all are that way. Perchin' Dave

Here's a photo to inspire that I just added, enjoy!

Thanks David! Coolest thing is ,that design with the kelp used to be my favorite drawing design to remind me what was special! Cool!!

Perchin' Dave
01-12-2014, 04:29 AM
I prefer to stay Uncoachable....

WWO

Hey WWO, just make sure you have a blast fishing, hey, that works too, make your day awesome, oh yeah! P.D.

anchor3n1
01-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Yes, it will be an honor to connect and share the water someday. Feel free to call if you'd like to fish the Santa Barbara area.

Hi Dave

Likewise, it would an honor for me as well. I live in Camarillo and fish the Ventura coast. But I have often thought that it would be fun to head a little further north sometime. Now you've given a great reason to do it!

I'll text you my contact info so we can connect sometime.

Take care and I look forward to seeing you in person someday.

Nick

iLLest
01-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Awesome story Dave!
Way to push through and overcome.
That pic of dawn is awesome too...love it.
See you on the surf brotha.

-Frank

Wingnut
01-18-2014, 12:34 PM
YOU DID IT! Congrats on hitting the 16" barrier Dave. :Envious:
Wonderful story my friend, thank you for sharing it. :Big Grin:
Looking forward to fishing with you and the rest of my Northern S.W.A.T. Brothers sometime soon. :Wink:

Perchin' Dave
01-18-2014, 11:20 PM
YOU DID IT! Congrats on hitting the 16" barrier Dave. :Envious:
Wonderful story my friend, thank you for sharing it. :Big Grin:
Looking forward to fishing with you and the rest of my Northern S.W.A.T. Brothers sometime soon. :Wink:

Hey Arthur, and less than a week later I caught my second 16", not as 'huge' as a fish nor as beat up as my first, but, as Exfactor said, once you break your personal record, expect to do that again. It took four years to break 15" to 16", and one week to do that a -second- time. How cool is that? Hey, I know you were at the 15.75 mark as well. Any success at beating your personal best? You in the 16" range too? Hope so! You rock!! Enthusiastically!! dave :)

Perchin' Dave
01-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Awesome story Dave!
Way to push through and overcome.
That pic of dawn is awesome too...love it.
See you on the surf brotha.

-Frank

Hey thanks Frank. I appreciate you. To YOUR personal best, oh yeah! dave :)

murrieta angler
01-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Lovely report Dave,
I enjoyed the story as well as the meaning.
You get it and I hope others get it as well.
I remember I was doing the same thing as you, 5 years back, then it hit me like a brick to the head...:Rolls Eyes:
I am Blessed to be able to fish and catch, not always the end result.
If more people took the time to stop and look and smell and listen to our ocean, I feel that they would be impacted in such a way, that they would realize that fishing is just a gateway to happiness..:Big Grin:
I personally get some of my best alone time, with Our Lord, while fishing. It has truly helped me with my personal life and I am a Blessed Man for having such a
"Great" wife, that understands this as well...:Wink:
Congratulations on your PB Barred Surf Perch and Thank You for the 3 awesome pictures!
Robert
<><

Perchin' Dave
01-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Lovely report Dave,
I enjoyed the story as well as the meaning.
You get it and I hope others get it as well.
I remember I was doing the same thing as you, 5 years back, then it hit me like a brick to the head...:Rolls Eyes:
I am Blessed to be able to fish and catch, not always the end result.
If more people took the time to stop and look and smell and listen to our ocean, I feel that they would be impacted in such a way, that they would realize that fishing is just a gateway to happiness..:Big Grin:
I personally get some of my best alone time, with Our Lord, while fishing. It has truly helped me with my personal life and I am a Blessed Man for having such a
"Great" wife, that understands this as well...:Wink:
Congratulations on your PB Barred Surf Perch and Thank You for the 3 awesome pictures!
Robert
<><

Yes Robert, being on the water is as you say, almost sacred. God's beauty all around, honoring the sport, the fish (catch and release), the smells, the sounds, the friendships and even the alone times when I wander off away from the others yet content on my own. They all come together in a nice way. I am glad that your wife gets it and am glad you build faith through quiet times and reflection. Just a quick note for you (to encourage faith) is believersedge.org, watch the last two videos on December 10th & 17ith. All about finishing (the year, and life) well. That's where I hang out on Tuesday morning, the archives of our programs. VERY good! Here's to you Robert, to -your- best. Make it a great one, oh yeah! Enthusiastically!! dave sommers, Perchin' Dave