PDA

View Full Version : Saturday 1/4 Late Report

DMS
01-08-2014, 01:32 PM
I was supposed to have a recording session on Saturday to record drums on my latest song, but the studio owner's home studio was tied up with his "soon to be" X-wife rescheduling the movers. I figured that my new bimini that broke last week on its first deployment in the hot December sun could be picked up, so maybe I take the day off and try to work on guitars on a new song at my place.

Lulu and I stepped out the door and she said, its a beautiful day. Lets go fishing after my Tai Chi. I said, "OK, but while you are doing Tai Chi, I can run and pick up the repaired Bimini." Once she returned, I was ready to roll.

As I turned off the exit for the lake, I said... "Dang, forgot my worms!" You see, Lulu HATES, HATES, DESPISES WORMS. They are too wiggly and I try to hide them from her. I had put them in the refridge to keep them alive and she thought they were my daughter's leftover take out food. She even looked... fortunately the worms had stayed undercover or they box and the dirt would be all over the kitchen. She asked if my bait was in the fridge and I told her yes! She said that she almost threw it away as it looked that Kaitlyn's takeout was black and moldy/spoiled.

Kaitlyn then said, Did you put worms in there? Lulu dropped her fork and said WORMS!!!???!!! Oh no!!! Drat, my daughter sold me. Fortunely Lulu is a great sport and except for the note that if she saw them wiggling when they were taken out she would have thrown them up in the air and run.

So, Lulu is the best and didn't hold a grudge and said, lets just by some more! COOL. Stopped at Galleons and looked at the worm cooler and realized that fishinone was there picking through the best bait. I said, Ron, are you still picking bait from this morning (he wants the best bait). She said his fishfinder problem and the lack of certified jailbird customers had him on a bait/battery run. I asked if he wanted a mackerel and told me to give it to the guys in his boat. You see, it was approaching 11 and I was not even on the water yet. Ron shared a choice worm recommendation and I was off.

Got through the line and the gate lady said, you are usually first in line... Lulu also has been saying that going later after the line is better. The early morning bite for us has been not so great and we have been mostly catching dinks and picking a few larger ones, but not so much an early morning bite. Last week I had her out really early and we only had 2 fish (although one was 4.5# or so).

As we were ready to roll, Ron was back and I handed over a stiff mackerel and took off somewhere OTHER than necktie. Set up the anchor in a fishy spot that I had never tried before and about 30 minutes later had a 6.5# beauty. She took off out and around an under the anchor rope before Lulu netted her. This started an ongoing ribbing of Lulu laughing at my attempts at first in line. Heck, get to the lake at 11 and straightaway get the nicest fish for us since the end of the summer. We started picking off on our bait assortments and every fish was, "you see, you see... he he he" and I said "tai chow la" (or chinese for coincedence). Dang!!!!

So after a while we where approaching double digits on the fish box and I helped her with a fish. I noticed before I could unhook it that the flyline rod was off the hook! I picked it up and it had run all the way to shore. That is one of my trout rods and I had 5# max to re-use some line that the tackle store wound on backwards to another reel. I usually use 4# on that and fish 2# leader so it was like pulling a rubber band. The fish was off in something but he was still there. I let off on the tension and line took out. I put the rod in the holder and tried to handline (gently) to work the fish out. Finally after 10+ minutes of this, I dropped the rod in the holder, and pulled the read anchor. Then the bow. as the boat drifted forward toward shore, I would pull in the slack. Finally, the anchor was in. I started the engine and backed around. Finally got up near the shore and lifted the line vertical and pulled away from the obstruction and the fish was there. A few minutes more and Lulu slipped the net around a 6.25# nice one.... "You See You see he he he..." Tai Chowla!!!!

We reanchored and continued to pick away. The fish were finicky and didn't really want to bite so well (except when the big ones inhaled the dine chunks). As we were calculating how much I wanted to stay until we had 20 and the actual closing time and dock ramp pull out/stow ritual. We started looking hard at the watch. On more good big one for Lulu to pull in a 4.5# fish to make 13 total with the 2 over 6 and 1 over 4. The rest were the typical schoolies, but still a lot nicer than the pyramid dink fest. I figure we had around 27# of fish. Off to the ramp to see Ron getting ready to pull out from the lot. He was gone by the time I hit the top of the hill. So I packed up and headed on.

Now lulu is having a lot of fun telling folks about "you see you see" "he he he" and I have to keep saying tai chowla!

By the way, I put the leftover worms in the refrigerator. Now i have lug worms and nightcrawlers. Lulu moved the vegetables to another section. the bloodworms were all eaten on Saturday. This was just amazing weather and I think I was in heaven. I hear the reports from back east and think about it being actually very, very, very nice and about perfect weather with some good fish... some nice big ones that put up a fight and a reasonable number too!

I love fishing with Lulu on our own boat!

DMS

fishinone
01-08-2014, 02:12 PM
It sounds like yo u got some nice ones. Congrats!

All of our bigger fish came on the sardines too but the worms were good for entertainment while we waited.

Stumpknocker
01-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Nice story, with some quality fish for your efforts...I've been unable to pull myself away from the Necktie spot (what's that saying about leaving biting fish?) but you did it and it paid off...Congrats!

CAPT'N
01-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Dan,
The two of you got on some nice fish. Great way to start the New Year!

Doesn't Tai Chow La mean too ugly ? And Tai Que La means coincidence? Phonetics are brutal with cantonese....

Capt'n

DMS
01-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Dan,
The two of you got on some nice fish. Great way to start the New Year!

Doesn't Tai Chow La mean too ugly ? And Tai Que La means coincidence? Phonetics are brutal with cantonese....

Capt'n

I'm learning mandarin not canton... Lulu speaks about 5 dialects plus Japanese English and some Korean and French... But not so much canton. Tai qiao le is the correct pinyin for it. I'm mostly speaking not writing...

CAPT'N
01-08-2014, 07:25 PM
I see, well at least she isn't calling you "to ugly". Lol

My wife speaks multiple dialects, English and French, I have enough trouble with English..........

Back to fishing !

Capt'n

TroutOnly
01-08-2014, 09:26 PM
good job on the stripeys dan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,