PDA

View Full Version : Do Quagga Mussels Help ?

DockRat
01-07-2014, 05:58 PM
A guy told me the Quaggas at Irvine have helped clean the lake. Yes there is very negative effects the invasive species have BUT is there any positive effects ???

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h47/141bpm/Havasu%20SCUBA/IMG_0682.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/141bpm/media/Havasu%20SCUBA/IMG_0682.jpg.html)

drifter023
01-07-2014, 06:12 PM
They clean the water to good no plankton for the bait fish so they die off, that is what is happening at Havasu. Cleaner water but way less shad....

goodguy
01-08-2014, 07:26 AM
^^^This^^^ They clear up the water by eating up the plankton hance starving the bait fish population out.... Clear water doesn't necessarily = better water...

Ifishtoolittle
01-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Hmmm... they sound like a good addition to a goldfish pond.

DockRat
01-16-2014, 08:53 PM
^^^This^^^ They clear up the water by eating up the plankton hance starving the bait fish population out....

I asked this guy why Irvine doesn't produce more giant LMB. He said there is too many LMB and not enough bait, he said they should reduce the population then it would allow for bigger LMB.
Maybe let people (who want to) keep 2 to 5 lb LMB as a slot limit ? Then the DD's could get much larger. Could this be true ?
DR

Ifishtoolittle
01-16-2014, 08:58 PM
I asked this guy why Irvine doesn't produce more giant LMB. He said there is too many LMB and not enough bait, he said they should reduce the population then it would allow for bigger LMB.
Maybe let people (who want to) keep 2 to 5 lb LMB as a slot limit ? Then the DD's could get much larger. Could this be true ?
DR

Sounds right. You need to harvest some fish out before the others can grow larger. That's just how a body of water works.

etucker1959
01-16-2014, 09:40 PM
DR

I have heard estimates of Irvine lakes LMB population of over 100,000 fish. So that has something to do with it. As for not enough Bait, I'll have two of what ever that guy has been drinking. When I set up my green light in the water at night to attract shad, there is literally thousands of them where ever I go. I hear this question brought up all the time about the size of the Bass and the funny thing is, the most obvious answer is always left out. What Strain of Bass are in Irvine?????? I'll give you a hint, THEY ARE NOT FLORIDA STRAINS!!!!!!!! They are some kind of Northern Strain Large Mouth Bass. Which DON"T GET HAS HUGE AS A Florida STRAIN BASS DOES!!!!!!!

etucker1959
01-16-2014, 09:51 PM
A guy told me the Quaggas at Irvine have helped clean the lake. Yes there is very negative effects the invasive species have BUT is there any positive effects ???

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h47/141bpm/Havasu%20SCUBA/IMG_0682.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/141bpm/media/Havasu%20SCUBA/IMG_0682.jpg.html)

I know a lake where there would be a positive effect on fishing. The owner's wouldn't like it, but it would help the fishing alot. In my humble opinion, if they don't drain SARL every year to help reduce the Shad population. It make fishing a lot tougher. Since it's a put and take lake for Trout & Catfish, you don't need those shad in the lake at all. If you don't believe me, ask yourself this question. Was it easier to catch Trout in SARL last year compared to this year. Most of you should say yes, because remember it was drained at the beginning of last year. It wasn't drained this year, so you got too many shad in there this year messing up the fishing. Wait till they drain it again, the following year it will be off the hook again!!!!!!

DockRat
01-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Good info Tucker. I really don't know much about the Vine but went Jan 2nd. Tried to figure out why a C&R bass lake doesn't produce more DD's.
DR

smokehound
01-20-2014, 08:03 PM
well aside from the shellfish stealing every larval animal's food, resulting in stunting, every fish they plant is a direct competitor with each other.

Especially those monster rainbow trout. Im sure a sizeable fraction of forage fish are decimated with each trout plant.

fishmounter
01-20-2014, 11:14 PM
The mussel invasion in the Havasu area of the Colorado river has been a boost to the tremendous growth of Redear Sunfish. 3, 4, even 5 pound panfish are now caught quite frequently. Freshwater clams that are found in the muddy bottoms are the Redear's main food source, but with the Quagga Mussels all over, the fish just pick them right off the rocks, weeds, boats, etc., swallowing them whole. Pure protein!

NFCD I
01-21-2014, 08:18 AM
^^^This^^^ They clear up the water by eating up the plankton hance starving the bait fish population out.... Clear water doesn't necessarily = better water...

I don't have the answer, but if they're eating plankton and other plants, then why does Skinner get blue stoned several times a year?

drifter023
01-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Are they in Skinner already?

inlandghia
01-21-2014, 07:24 PM
yes they are in Skinner

drifter023
01-23-2014, 07:13 PM
How long have they been in there, just asking cause did not think they had them there. If so the inspections are not going to do squat to help the lake.

goodguy
01-24-2014, 07:34 AM
The truth is... Most lakes fed by the CO river have them by now. Which is most of the big lakes. They didn't come in from anglers or boaters. They came in from the water pipes feeding the lake. This boat inspection thing is just another CA thing that is all for show. "See we're doing something about it" Meanwhile no lake has been saved from quagga mussels because of these inspections.