PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with swim baits and artificials

The_Dude
01-07-2014, 01:59 PM
I am normally a bait guy but have found a new interest in surf fishing with the swim baits and artificial baits. I was wondering though about retrieving them.

When you are on a slow retrieve, fast retrieve, whatever should the rod and rod tip be in an upright position or should you have the rod tip pointed more towards the water while reeling in. Hope this makes sense.

DockRat
01-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Slow works good. If it bounces off the bottom sometimes that works good too.
Try drop shot to. at time no reeling is needed. 30 - 45 degree angle.
Read the SW surf sticky's.
DR

noleash
01-08-2014, 06:50 PM
I am normally a bait guy but have found a new interest in surf fishing with the swim baits and artificial baits. I was wondering though about retrieving them.

When you are on a slow retrieve, fast retrieve, whatever should the rod and rod tip be in an upright position or should you have the rod tip pointed more towards the water while reeling in. Hope this makes sense.
Go to You Tube , Type in what exactly you want to learn, and PAY ATTINTION! One of the most overlooked techniques in surf fishing is bouncing a scampi off the bottom! You wont get the numbers but the size will increase 2x. Many techniques are never mentioned on this website and in my experience are a lot more productive than the LC flash minnow. Scrounger heads with _ _ _ _ _ _ _ can be extreamly productive when nothing else works. My first Striper came off an 4 in anchovy fish trap throwing in a 1.5 foot deep trench three feet off dry sand! Again, there are countless methods to surf fishing , pick a species you wish to target, study an experts video on You Tube and be prepared to sell the house, leave the wife, grab the dog and catch some fish! :Big Grin:

DockRat
01-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Good info Noleash. Tossing metal can be productive also. Kroc, Kastmaster.

noleash
01-09-2014, 06:48 AM
Good info Noleash. Tossing metal can be productive also. Kroc, Kastmaster.
How Right you are Sir.....Certain beaches dictate what my go to bait will be! Example....From El Porto - **** Pipe it most def is the 3" Crock but with a twist...I always put a 1/16 or 1/4 barrel weight in front because it alters the swimming motion such to more mimic a cruising baitfish! Vet park to Saphire same bait , got a 27" Halibut with that bait throwing up against the jetty. Topaz - Rat Beach its a whole new game! That really is where the fun begins! Scampis, crocks, rapals, LC flash Minnow, Scrounger heads with fin s jerk shad, and of course, my favorite The 3'' brown and silver Fish Trap with a 1/4 oz darterhead. These are of course only scratching the surface. There are countless other methods that produce, DO NOT limit yourself to any one bait, let the fish at any given beach tell you what they want and how they want it. SP DAN will love this one....$'' baby is the 4'' hologram CROCK off the ocean side at Cabrillo Beach.... but that's all I'LL say about that one!

noleash
01-09-2014, 07:08 AM
How Right you are Sir.....Certain beaches dictate what my go to bait will be! Example....From El Porto - **** Pipe it most def is the 3" Crock but with a twist...I always put a 1/16 or 1/4 barrel weight in front because it alters the swimming motion such to more mimic a cruising baitfish! Vet park to Saphire same bait , got a 27" Halibut with that bait throwing up against the jetty. Topaz - Rat Beach its a whole new game! That really is where the fun begins! Scampis, crocks, rapals, LC flash Minnow, Scrounger heads with fin s jerk shad, and of course, my favorite The 3'' brown and silver Fish Trap with a 1/4 oz darterhead. These are of course only scratching the surface. There are countless other methods that produce, DO NOT limit yourself to any one bait, let the fish at any given beach tell you what they want and how they want it. SP DAN will love this one....$'' baby is the 4'' hologram CROCK off the ocean side at Cabrillo Beach.... but that's all I'LL say about that one!
OOPS....I forgot one SPECIAL bait......The Sebile....Any swimbait that gets ingested by a 26'' Halibut within seconds of presenting itself, is most defiantly worth mention! :Secret: :Big Grin:

DockRat
01-09-2014, 11:43 AM
DO NOT limit yourself to any one bait,
X2 I haven't surf fished this year but just a couple times. When I was hitting it, fished live smelt one year caught on the short KH pier then moved to a spot/beach in a 5 gal bucket. Tossing the kroc is my favorite, and have about 6 LCs that I have been using last couple years too. Kastmaster always kick *** too. Bait fishing is my favorite. Fresh mac fillets, frozen squid, anchovies ect. Really enjoy targeting sharks and rays. They provide a much better fight than typical sub legal halls or BSP.

Size matters. The bite, hook set then the fight is what I'm into. Never thought about it much till one day offshore fishing with my buddy and he told me how much he enjoys the bite, hook set. Since thinking about it that day I realized the reality of bait fishing and how relaxing it is. Years ago my tendonitis (tennis elbow) would kill me daily and the thought of tossing lures for a hour or two is misery.

Are you living in Hemet Pver. My kids call people from the hill Pvers. lol
DR

DockRat
01-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Hey no leash, check this out; Lomita boyz. Sons of Torrance Beach, the Irons family before they moved to the islands. Andy Irons RIP grandpa.

Awesome read and 60's pics of TB, PV even surfing at PBC pics.

http://www.ballinamalibuclub.org/newsletter/NOV2010/SonsofTB.pdf

Most awesome backside tube ride ever on a smaller wave, 2 deep long barrels on 1 wave.

Andy Irons death is a great loss to surfing.

MUST SEE VIDEO even if you don't surf, Incredible A. I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEGn5zvLAmM

noleash
01-09-2014, 12:49 PM
X2 I haven't surf fished this year but just a couple times. When I was hitting it, fished live smelt one year caught on the short KH pier then moved to a spot/beach in a 5 gal bucket. Tossing the kroc is my favorite, and have about 6 LCs that I have been using last couple years too. Kastmaster always kick *** too. Bait fishing is my favorite. Fresh mac fillets, frozen squid, anchovies ect. Really enjoy targeting sharks and rays. They provide a much better fight than typical sub legal halls or BSP.

Size matters. The bite, hook set then the fight is what I'm into. Never thought about it much till one day offshore fishing with my buddy and he told me how much he enjoys the bite, hook set. Since thinking about it that day I realized the reality of bait fishing and how relaxing it is. Years ago my tendonitis (tennis elbow) would kill me daily and the thought of tossing lures for a hour or two is misery.

Are you living in Hemet Pver. My kids call people from the hill Pvers. lol
DR
Actually it started in west Torrance and playing and bodysurfing at the CLASSIC OLD REDONDO HORSESHOE PIER which burned down on my birthday in 198_? it's been awhile! Learned to surf at the B-WALL and caught a lot of nice waves! Mom moved to South Torrance freshman year and glad she did! Quickly Paid My Dues at Haggertys and spent the next 20 years having a blast catching the best waves and all around good times with people unique to that particular area! :Big Grin: then spent 10 years in Playa Del Rey surfing among other spots -gillis jetty-where I hade the honor to share waves with some of the most classic people you will ever meet in L.A. or any where else for that matter!:Big Grin: Then back to Redondo for a few, El Segundo for a few (What A Trip ) that place IS......:EyePop: Back to Torrance where I decided to SMOKE everything I owned! Including my small skiff! But here is the kicker-if I didn't sabotage myself I wouldn't have gone back to UTAH to correct myself where I decided to take up BASS fishing! I kid you not...Once you get on smallies for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, there are no other fish to catch, well accept walleye, brown troutl and of course Halibut!:Big Grin: oh yea FLORIDA STRAIN LARGMOUTH BASS are pretty AWSOME TOO!!!!!:Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin: Mom fell and couldn't get up which in fact brought me back to HEMET:Neutral: Anyway...seeing how Diamond Valley Lake is in my backyard,HELL YEA I'm going to make the most out of it! I will admit it's a ZONE of it's own :LOL::Big Grin:

noleash
01-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Actually it started in west Torrance and playing and bodysurfing at the CLASSIC OLD REDONDO HORSESHOE PIER which burned down on my birthday in 198_? it's been awhile! Learned to surf at the B-WALL and caught a lot of nice waves! Mom moved to South Torrance freshman year and glad she did! Quickly Paid My Dues at Haggertys and spent the next 20 years having a blast catching the best waves and all around good times with people unique to that particular area! :Big Grin: then spent 10 years in Playa Del Rey surfing among other spots -gillis jetty-where I hade the honor to share waves with some of the most classic people you will ever meet in L.A. or any where else for that matter!:Big Grin: Then back to Redondo for a few, El Segundo for a few (What A Trip ) that place IS......:EyePop: Back to Torrance where I decided to SMOKE everything I owned! Including my small skiff! But here is the kicker-if I didn't sabotage myself I wouldn't have gone back to UTAH to correct myself where I decided to take up BASS fishing! I kid you not...Once you get on smallies for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, there are no other fish to catch, well accept walleye, brown troutl and of course Halibut!:Big Grin: oh yea FLORIDA STRAIN LARGMOUTH BASS are pretty AWSOME TOO!!!!!:Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin: Mom fell and couldn't get up which in fact brought me back to HEMET:Neutral: Anyway...seeing how Diamond Valley Lake is in my backyard,HELL YEA I'm going to make the most out of it! I will admit it's a ZONE of it's own :LOL::Big Grin:
Just a heads up for anyone coming to Hemet to fish- There does exist an underground fishing culture unique to this particular valley-AWSOME PEOPLE in my book and if you tread lightly , one may take you under their wing and unlock one of many doors to catching fish on Diamond Valley Lake!:Cool: