PDA

View Full Version : 1/5 Legg Lake; First ever LMB.... On Powerbait?!?

aramirez1988
01-06-2014, 02:26 PM
So my girl and I headed to Legg at around 2PM to check if any trout were biting. I usually only fish for trout and cats but on occasion I will try a few bass lures to see if I can get lucky.

I had one pole soaking some PB and the other I had a small fake trout or a frog and I had nothing hit on both.

Finally at around 4:45 we decided to take off home. I packed away my other rod and went to pull in my soaker. To my surprise, there was something hooked!! I thought it was a big trout at first (I was using PB afterall) but when it got closer I realized I hooked my very first LMB! I was using a size 14 treble hook but apparently it was able to hook the bastards lip just enough. It was fluke for sure, it looked like I barely hooked the inside of its lip when I was reeling in my bait.

Anyways, it was a hell of a good fight. It felt about 5-6 lbs and when I pulled it up it drew quite a crowd! One of the guys asked if he can have it but I told him I was going to throw em back. Anyways, thanks for reading!

Bass Boy 14
01-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Nice job! I caught a 4.5lb LMB on PB when I was at pudd about a year ago. Lol

jbassc
01-07-2014, 01:13 AM
Nice fish bro......and good going by letting live another day.

BUSTER124
01-07-2014, 03:21 AM
A lady caught a 10+ lb'er at Eldo a few years ago on PB. Guys tried to buy it from her to throw back.. No deal. She took it home and ate it. She caught it, she can eat eat it but....

aramirez1988
01-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys.. I never really heard of anyone hooking up on LMB's with PB before. It just seemed really odd to me lol

GhettoBasser
01-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Nice job releasing the fish! Power Bait, anything can happen.

smokehound
01-07-2014, 08:59 PM
For some reason, i catch far more bass on trout magnets.. dunno why, but now They're exclusively a bass and panfish lure for me :LOL: Been catching some mammoth redears on chartreuse trout mags. They're great for flyfishing, btw. try them without weight some time, they're great for stripping line.

fisherman951
01-07-2014, 10:38 PM
mice tails work good for bass also lol I've caught my fair share up at green valley with those lil mice

TUNAVIC
01-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Nice,the best part of that report was the release,WTG!

Cya TUNAVIC

sumodnb
01-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Sweet catch!! And kudos for the C&R. Powerbait has been responsible for some epic LMB catches as of late, google Yucaipa bass and you will see a story about a 14 pounder caught on the main lake there on PB!!

smokehound
01-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Sweet catch!! And kudos for the C&R. Powerbait has been responsible for some epic LMB catches as of late, google Yucaipa bass and you will see a story about a 14 pounder caught on the main lake there on PB!! more like 9 lb'er.. lol..

ag49er
01-10-2014, 11:45 AM
So my girl and I headed to Legg at around 2PM to check if any trout were biting. I usually only fish for trout and cats but on occasion I will try a few bass lures to see if I can get lucky.

I had one pole soaking some PB and the other I had a small fake trout or a frog and I had nothing hit on both.

Finally at around 4:45 we decided to take off home. I packed away my other rod and went to pull in my soaker. To my surprise, there was something hooked!! I thought it was a big trout at first (I was using PB afterall) but when it got closer I realized I hooked my very first LMB! I was using a size 14 treble hook but apparently it was able to hook the bastards lip just enough. It was fluke for sure, it looked like I barely hooked the inside of its lip when I was reeling in my bait.

Anyways, it was a hell of a good fight. It felt about 5-6 lbs and when I pulled it up it drew quite a crowd! One of the guys asked if he can have it but I told him I was going to throw em back. Anyways, thanks for reading!

Nice catch and a nicer release!! Keep fishing with the little one!!

Stormcrow
01-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Thats actually pretty cool....happens alot in very murky water. It also tells you that bass are feeding using scent as their primary search sense. Can be put to good use by a savvy bass angler.

Fish Dog
01-11-2014, 04:13 PM
A lady caught a 10+ lb'er at Eldo a few years ago on PB. Guys tried to buy it from her to throw back.. No deal. She took it home and ate it. She caught it, she can eat eat it but....

But what? She caught it legally, she can keep it if she wants. Funny thing is the guy the tried to buy it off her was trying to make her break the law (selling sport caught fish) and was trying to break the law (buying sport caught fish). I don't think there's an exception in the law for buying/selling if the fish is released.

DangerFishin
01-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Ive never caught an lmb with pb or seen anyone do it but my dang gramps is always cursing if fishings slow saying "god damn bass oughtta be hitting this pb i used to catch them all the time with pb" O.o strange. maybe they changed the powerbait recipe so it targets trout more then it used to just target any fish?? Who knows! congrats on the bass!!

smokehound
01-18-2014, 04:12 PM
God imagine how incredibly foul a 10 lb bass must taste.. haha i bet the flesh was hard like rubber hahahaha

Get a fresh jar of PB, and break a few fish or krill oil capsules into it.. your PB will work a million times better :D

BassBrotha
01-30-2014, 11:55 PM
damn you couldve had a small trout on your line and the bass ate the trout and you hooked him haha