PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Bait-n-Wait 1/4/2014, Slow Start but Great Finish!

fishinone
01-06-2014, 01:47 PM
I fished on Saturday with RadioLeo and Striper Mike.

The first thing that I learned was that my replacement fish finder wasn't working. It worked fine on Tuesday but drew the voltage down to 8.5 volts while it was on. After charging for a few days it wouldn't even turn the fishfinder on.

So we set up in Necktie Canyon and fished blind. The spot we were on produced well on Tuesday but we could beg for a bite for the first hour. Finally Mike got a good hit. The rod tip just slammed down into the water and it was on. He was using light line and this fish was traveling, so Leo and I clear poles. We didn't want to blow this one chance!

Mike played the fish skillfully and soon a 5 pounder hit the deck.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/20140104_082141_zpsbfb5544a.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/20140104_082141_zpsbfb5544a.jpg.html)
The skunk was off for Mike anyway!

After that one fish it was back to Bait-n-Wait!

Peple started showing up but the boats weren't catching much. Three guys came in a rental boat and set up on shore inside of us and started slaying on bloodworms. We threw nightcrawlers to the same areas they were fishing but they didn't produce for us.

Not having my fish fishfinder was getting on my nerves, so I proposed going to the ramp, removing the front battery and going to town to get one, combined with a stop to buy some bloodworms, while the guys fished swimbaits around the ramp. It was a plan! We did it. I picked up the battery and stopped at Gallion's Market to get bloodworms and lugworms.

The fishfinder worked and we had the bait that we had seen working earlier!

We decided to fish a new spot that I had tried for the first time on Tuesday for not a single hit. On Tuesday there were lots of fish holding in the area but they would just swim up to the baits and watch them. I could see them respond to the bait on the fish finder but they wouldn't take the baits.

We set the anchors and put out four different kinds of bait, sardine, bloodworm, lugworm and nightcrawler. In just a few minutes we had hits on everything and landed three fish. Not a bad sign! Then we started a slow pick on fish ranging from 1 1/2 lb to 4 1/2 lb. Mike got the 4 1/2 lb fish to back up his 5 pounder.

I got a three pounder and remembered that I had promised to name a fish after fishbones.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/20140104_121346_zps0ca4096b.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/20140104_121346_zps0ca4096b.jpg.html)
This is Alex! He's fish bones now though!

There was an interesting thing happening over and over. Leo would get a hit and having trouble getting the rod out of the holder he would swing for the sky, only to miss the fish. Then immediately one of Mikes poles would get hit and he would nail the fish! Poor Leo took an awful ribbing!

We had about a dozen fish in the boat by 2:45 or so when we decided to slide out a little deeper, where we had seen a big cloud of fish as we set anchor. The cloud was gone but no sooner did our baits hit the bottom and it was on. We got hit all the way around the boat, all the poles in about a minute!

The few bigger fish of the day all hit Sardines. Most of the other fish were caught on worms. In this spot they didn't seem to have a preference for worm type.

After that it was like a fire drill! We were each fishing 2 poles and we couldn't get one in without the other being hit. We had multiple doubles. I'm sure there were times when we were all hooked up. Mike managed to hook 2 fish at once. I grabbed the pole and handed it to Leo and he gave Mike a hand reeling in one of them. I didn't want the fish sweeping up all of the other poles.

In no time we were sorting fish. I went through the fish hold and threw back all the small ones that were still conscious. We finished out our limits as the bite slowly dwindled down then headed in. I think that we pulled it up at 3:40.

We stopped at Gallion's Market and took a deck photo.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/20140104_162221_zps46694f4d.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/20140104_162221_zps46694f4d.jpg.html)
Here's the days take.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/IMG_9477_zpsed33515c.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/IMG_9477_zpsed33515c.jpg.html)
This is what happens if you long arm your fish standing next to a guy who has bigger fish. Mikes fish are really much bigger than mine.

We estimated that we actually caught nearly 50 fish.

That last hour surely made this into stellar day!

Master Baiter1
01-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Just say no to straight arms or as you call it "long arm"! Haha. I thought that was a stinky bass fisherman thing to do but it's taking hold in the striper world too. Bent elbow, pointed to the ground gives a truer perspective. You named a 5# after Alex? You can name the DD after me if you like? LOL. Way to go Castaic striper eradicator! Keep thinning that herd.

fishinone
01-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Just say no to straight arms or as you call it "long arm"! Haha. I thought that was a stinky bass fisherman thing to do but it's taking hold in the striper world too. Bent elbow, pointed to the ground gives a truer perspective. You named a 5# after Alex? You can name the DD after me if you like? LOL. Way to go Castaic striper eradicator! Keep thinning that herd.

I've got some really long arms! It works great for me!

What about short people? Any fish they hold look huge!

Alex was a 3 1/2 lb. fish! :LOL:

Stumpknocker
01-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Great job figuring out how to make things happen...it's crazy how they all of the sudden will eat any bait...who flipped the switch?

Master Baiter1
01-06-2014, 03:18 PM
I've got some really long arms! It works great for me!

What about short people? Any fish they hold look huge!

Alex was a 3 1/2 lb. fish! :LOL:

Well Zoli will be a 10# + fish then. Our buddy Khanh can hold up a dink, bent elbows and all and make it look like a 6# :LOL:

fishinone
01-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Great job figuring out how to make things happen...it's crazy how they all of the sudden will eat any bait...who flipped the switch?

Were you fishing? I'd like to hear what happened at the same time in other spots, especially Necktie Canyon.

Well Zoli will be a 10# + fish then. Our buddy Khanh can hold up a dink, bent elbows and all and make it look like a 6# :LOL:

I lost Zoli on Tuesday. Zoli is the one that got away!

I agree on Khanh holding fish. It's not fair! LOL

Bassfan
01-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Ron, Another good job of finding a way to put fish in the boat when things are slow.
I was not so fortunate as I tried multiple spots with Fishingwithdave and never quite hit the right combination to score much.
Probably should have fished later than 2:30 since it sounds like they came alive later.
That was the first time fishing with Dave and I really wanted to put us on fish. No Captains license for me!

Master Baiter1
01-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Were you fishing? I'd like to hear what happened at the same time in other spots, especially Necktie Canyon.

I lost Zoli on Tuesday. Zoli is the one that got away!

I agree on Khanh holding fish. It's not fair! LOL

Haha on both accounts. On a third account, I have been away (lost) from fishing several days too. I'm bumming big time though.

fishinone
01-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Ron, Another good job of finding a way to put fish in the boat when things are slow.
I was not so fortunate as I tried multiple spots with Fishingwithdave and never quite hit the right combination to score much.
Probably should have fished later than 2:30 since it sounds like they came alive later.
That was the first time fishing with Dave and I really wanted to put us on fish. No Captains license for me!

Don't let slow day get you down. You are a fish killer!

Haha on both accounts. On a third account, I have been away (lost) from fishing several days too. I'm bumming big time though.

How is your back? ( Please read; When will you be back out there.)

Master Baiter1
01-06-2014, 05:52 PM
How is your back? ( Please read; When will you be back out there.)

Let me stick my neck out and say hopefully soon.

Stumpknocker
01-06-2014, 06:36 PM

I was there at Necktie last week, just outside and north of the cove (Tuesday I think) and they didn't bite at all for the first hour or so, though we saw them on the meter...then we moved in a little shallower, to 75 feet, and the sardines they were ignoring suddenly became irresistible...

sidified
01-06-2014, 08:12 PM
"I went through the fish hold and threw back all the small ones that were still conscious." Wow..what a sport..

fishinone
01-06-2014, 08:44 PM

I was there at Necktie last week, just outside and north of the cove (Tuesday I think) and they didn't bite at all for the first hour or so, though we saw them on the meter...then we moved in a little shallower, to 75 feet, and the sardines they were ignoring suddenly became irresistible...

I was there on Tuesday too. I was in 67 ft of water and caught an easy limit.

"I went through the fish hold and threw back all the small ones that were still conscious." Wow..what a sport..

Have I disappointed you in some way there sport? LOL

sidified
01-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Sorry, I jumped to the conclusion you were throwing back fish that had been out of the water too long to survive.
My apologies..

fishinone
01-07-2014, 06:05 AM
No problem.

I was thinking, "These are striper, aren't they?".

My fish hold its full of lake water and it's big. This time of year the small striper last all day.

TroutOnly
01-07-2014, 07:31 AM
Hold the fish closer too the camera,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
01-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Hold the fish closer too the camera,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

OK no problem!

soulsurfer
01-07-2014, 05:41 PM
way to go guys...I like the fish pics against the bow of the boat. reminds me of a Christmas tree.

FishingwithDave
01-07-2014, 06:56 PM

Jim, you can be my Captain anytime! Sure, it was a tough day for us, but I learned a whole lot from you and had a great time. I'd pull anchors up for you again any time you'ld have me out!

Next time we'll kill Mr. Stripey.

FWD

vampirebret
01-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Ron does it again. Maybe I should just catch a ride with you next time since the fish are more attracted to you and whatever you want to feed them that day. Keep the great posts coming and maybe I'll see you again this year down there.

TUNAVIC
01-08-2014, 09:37 AM
You guys created a plan,exucuted it,and produced great results! Thanks for the report and great pics.

Cya TUNAVIC

fishinone
01-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Ron does it again. Maybe I should just catch a ride with you next time since the fish are more attracted to you and whatever you want to feed them that day. Keep the great posts coming and maybe I'll see you again this year down there.

Let's make a plan.

I think there probably are boats that attract repel or are neutral. Mine seems to be OK.

You guys created a plan,exucuted it,and produced great results! Thanks for the report and great pics.

Cya TUNAVIC

Thank you, I love it when a plan comes together! That's why I like flexible plans.

CAPT'N
01-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Nice fish Ron!

Capt'n

fishinone
01-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks Scott.

When will you be out there again?

CAPT'N
01-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Going to be sometime next week............

Hitts0n
01-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Ill be out there Monday trying to catch a few.....lol...thanks for the report and good read !!

HBAR
01-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Fricken Jarhead LOL
when we going out there?

fishinone
01-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Going to be sometime next week............

Go get them Capt'n!

Ill be out there Monday trying to catch a few.....lol...thanks for the report and good read !!

My pleasure. Good luck!

Fricken Jarhead LOL
when we going out there?

Semper Fi

When are you going to accept an invite?

HBAR
01-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Go get them Capt'n!

My pleasure. Good luck!

Semper Fi

When are you going to accept an invite?

I'm waiting :EyePop:, was out there today, have a new rod just waiting to be used for the first time made by BB custom rods, you'll like it!

radioleo
01-13-2014, 04:49 PM
I fished on Saturday with RadioLeo and Striper Mike.

The first thing that I learned was that my replacement fish finder wasn't working. It worked fine on Tuesday but drew the voltage down to 8.5 volts while it was on. After charging for a few days it wouldn't even turn the fishfinder on.

So we set up in Necktie Canyon and fished blind. The spot we were on produced well on Tuesday but we could beg for a bite for the first hour. Finally Mike got a good hit. The rod tip just slammed down into the water and it was on. He was using light line and this fish was traveling, so Leo and I clear poles. We didn't want to blow this one chance!

Mike played the fish skillfully and soon a 5 pounder hit the deck.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/20140104_082141_zpsbfb5544a.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/20140104_082141_zpsbfb5544a.jpg.html)
The skunk was off for Mike anyway!

After that one fish it was back to Bait-n-Wait!

Peple started showing up but the boats weren't catching much. Three guys came in a rental boat and set up on shore inside of us and started slaying on bloodworms. We threw nightcrawlers to the same areas they were fishing but they didn't produce for us.

Not having my fish fishfinder was getting on my nerves, so I proposed going to the ramp, removing the front battery and going to town to get one, combined with a stop to buy some bloodworms, while the guys fished swimbaits around the ramp. It was a plan! We did it. I picked up the battery and stopped at Gallion's Market to get bloodworms and lugworms.

The fishfinder worked and we had the bait that we had seen working earlier!

We decided to fish a new spot that I had tried for the first time on Tuesday for not a single hit. On Tuesday there were lots of fish holding in the area but they would just swim up to the baits and watch them. I could see them respond to the bait on the fish finder but they wouldn't take the baits.

We set the anchors and put out four different kinds of bait, sardine, bloodworm, lugworm and nightcrawler. In just a few minutes we had hits on everything and landed three fish. Not a bad sign! Then we started a slow pick on fish ranging from 1 1/2 lb to 4 1/2 lb. Mike got the 4 1/2 lb fish to back up his 5 pounder.

I got a three pounder and remembered that I had promised to name a fish after fishbones.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/20140104_121346_zps0ca4096b.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/20140104_121346_zps0ca4096b.jpg.html)
This is Alex! He's fish bones now though!

There was an interesting thing happening over and over. Leo would get a hit and having trouble getting the rod out of the holder he would swing for the sky, only to miss the fish. Then immediately one of Mikes poles would get hit and he would nail the fish! Poor Leo took an awful ribbing!

We had about a dozen fish in the boat by 2:45 or so when we decided to slide out a little deeper, where we had seen a big cloud of fish as we set anchor. The cloud was gone but no sooner did our baits hit the bottom and it was on. We got hit all the way around the boat, all the poles in about a minute!

The few bigger fish of the day all hit Sardines. Most of the other fish were caught on worms. In this spot they didn't seem to have a preference for worm type.

After that it was like a fire drill! We were each fishing 2 poles and we couldn't get one in without the other being hit. We had multiple doubles. I'm sure there were times when we were all hooked up. Mike managed to hook 2 fish at once. I grabbed the pole and handed it to Leo and he gave Mike a hand reeling in one of them. I didn't want the fish sweeping up all of the other poles.

In no time we were sorting fish. I went through the fish hold and threw back all the small ones that were still conscious. We finished out our limits as the bite slowly dwindled down then headed in. I think that we pulled it up at 3:40.

We stopped at Gallion's Market and took a deck photo.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/20140104_162221_zps46694f4d.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/20140104_162221_zps46694f4d.jpg.html)
Here's the days take.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/IMG_9477_zpsed33515c.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Casaic%20Bait%20n%20Wait%201-4-2014/IMG_9477_zpsed33515c.jpg.html)
This is what happens if you long arm your fish standing next to a guy who has bigger fish. Mikes fish are really much bigger than mine.

We estimated that we actually caught nearly 50 fish.

That last hour surely made this into stellar day!

Hey Guys............

I had a GREAT time..............

TroutOnly
01-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Hey its mr triple-hookup,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
01-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Hey Guys............

I had a GREAT time..............

It's always a pleasure Leo.

You put up up, with us ribbing you about farming, very well.

Honestly! You started hooking them later.

Hey its mr triple-hookup,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

LOL, He told us that story. At least twice.

troutdog
01-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Great day at the lake, waiting for my shot at revenge....the wind took round 1 last week.

Nice report!

TD

fishinone
01-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Great day at the lake, waiting for my shot at revenge....the wind took round 1 last week.

Nice report!

TD

Thank you troutdog.

Right now at least Weather.com is saying that the wind should be OK on Saturday.

Hitts0n
01-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Thank you troutdog.

Right now at least Weather.com is saying that the wind should be OK on Saturday.

Thinking about going out tomorrow! That wind was brutal!

Hitts