PDA

View Full Version : advice on float tube and fish finder

fishontrout
01-06-2014, 12:27 PM
what's the best way to power your fish finder on your float tube. Using AAA batteries or 12v batteries. With one works best for you guys.

Fishingdachronarch201E7
01-06-2014, 07:37 PM
I use a 12v-1.4ah TENERGY....maintenance-free sealed lead acid battery......it powers up my HUMMINBIRD 160 perfect...I've ran up to 7 hours with no problems....hope this helps....I charge it with a charger I bought at wallmart schumaker 1.5 maintainer trickke charger. Part number xm1-5-ca......hope this helps...good luck

Tony g

HBAR
01-06-2014, 08:29 PM
I use a 12v-1.4ah TENERGY....maintenance-free sealed lead acid battery......it powers up my HUMMINBIRD 160 perfect...I've ran up to 7 hours with no problems....hope this helps....I charge it with a charger I bought at wallmart schumaker 1.5 maintainer trickke charger. Part number xm1-5-ca......hope this helps...good luck

Tony g

I think I had the same battery Tony has, I ran my humminbird 160 for 3 day's in simulator mode and it only dropped 2 volts. If I remember correctly I bought mine on Amazon for like 30 bucks (it could have been less), and it came with the charger.

socal114
01-06-2014, 08:38 PM
It really depends on what type of finder you're going to use. A Humminbird Fishin Buddy will operate on AA's where as a "mounted" finder will operate on a small 12v batt w/connectors as Tony mentioned. I have a Lowrance Elite 4x and use a Float Tube Fanatics battery/box setup. It comes with a 1.7 ah battery and storage box/finder mount that straps to your tube. It works really well and I get two full days on the water between charges using my Elite 4x. Another option is to store the battery in one of your storage pockets.

fishontrout
01-06-2014, 09:20 PM
I have a hummingbird Piranha 170 fish finder

Tom
01-06-2014, 09:23 PM
It really depends on what type of finder you're going to use. A Humminbird Fishin Buddy will operate on AA's where as a "mounted" finder will operate on a small 12v batt w/connectors as Tony mentioned. I have a Lowrance Elite 4x and use a Float Tube Fanatics battery/box setup. It comes with a 1.7 ah battery and storage box/finder mount that straps to your tube. It works really well and I get two full days on the water between charges using my Elite 4x. Another option is to store the battery in one of your storage pockets.

Float tube fanatics battery is a 2.9 SLA
I have one also

It will not run the better finders all day as they use too much power
best to stay with the smaller fish finder

Fishingdachronarch201E7
01-06-2014, 09:30 PM
I have a hummingbird Piranha 170 fish finder

Umm how many hours r u looking to get...or how much money were u lookin to spend....the battery I bought was 16 bucks at frys electronis...I'm sure theirs cheaper on ebay...the 160 is not much different then the 170 im sure theyre similar in power...were u looking for compact size.......I put my battery in the storage pocket..its pretty small..fits perfect and never gets in the way....

Tony g

socal114
01-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Float tube fanatics battery is a 2.9 SLA
I have one also

It will not run the better finders all day as they use too much power
best to stay with the smaller fish finder
You are correct on the FTF batt rating. I'm not sure what you consider a "better" fish finder, but for a tube the Elite 4x is more than sufficient. The nice thing about the 4x is that it draws less power than other comparable models (Garmin 300c). As stated, I get 2 full days (6+ hrs per day) between charges. In my situation, I didn't want to take up valuable space in a storage pocket with a larger battery. I use a Battery Tender .750 mA trickle charger and it is back to full charge in a couple hours.