PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for a new guy

The_Dude
01-06-2014, 12:15 PM
So I finally decided that I am going to give surf fishing a try. Been reading this site for a while and seems like a lot of fun. Went out yesterday morning from 9am to 12 pm and fished the surf between balboa pier and the jetty.

Started off throwing a carolina rig with a Motor Oil/Christmas tree grub from big hammer and couldn't get bit. Decided then to try a halloween big hammer on a 1/2 oz lead head and walked the beach for close to 2 hours without a bite.

From reading these forums it seems like the go to is either the LC or I have seen people talk about the berkely sandworms, which I had and never tried.

have the days of the grubs and swimbaits like big hammer come and gone or was I just not in the right spots. I did notice that the water was real clear as well and am not sure if that was any part of the problem.

I am extremely new at surf fishing so any tips that you pro's could give me would be greatly appreciated. Since I am located in Orange County I am mainly looking to fish my local beaches but travel is always something I am willing to do.

skunked4life
01-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Welcome to the forums. Since you seem like you know enough about the sport in general, I will not bore you with the basics. Here are my $0.02:

1. BH do work, I have seen many use them with success. I personally have not had much success with them. You may try cutting them into 2 to 2.5 inch hammers and make them into mini-hammers. They seem like they were the hot ticket for 2013.

2. Gulp SW (aka crack) are a good starter bait. LC's are great too (that is all I throw). But--you could be flinging everything in the kitchen sink and still skunk. That is just the name of the game. If they aren't home, move to the next neighborhood.

3. The AO you were at and the times would indicate a good starting point for beginners. I would just keep trying there. Why do I say this when I just stated for you to move around? Because this is the area that I first started with. There are troughs and holes full of YFCs and BSP there. Also try the area between piers. I have had great success there as well.

4. Lastly, just have confidence. Make every cast count and retrieve as if you are going to catch all the way. I have caught several good fish right at my feet (especially lately).

Good luck!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken

The_Dude
01-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info. Definitely plan on going out again this coming weekend if not sooner. Guess you could say I got the itch

Perchin' Dave
01-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Here's my 2¢ (see my post friday 1/10/14, personal best Barred Surf Perch).

Think like a hungry fish. You would want the maximum amount of food with the minimum effort. Look for rip tides and fish off to one side or the other where the 'bait' (sand crabs or small fish) end up. Next, look for transitions (where a wave doesn't break, the water is deeper and the bait goes to that hole and the fish doesn't have to swim as hard). Fish both of these from different angles, the high side of the rip, the low side, across the rip.

The challenge with being new to fishing is that (we) think that knowledge equals success and it is more than that. Knowledge + experience + technique + intuition ->>> ALL lead to success. Reading a thread won't get you there. Going out and not succeeding will teach you a lot, just like it has with your coming back and posting your comment here.

Also, realize that the time of day -and- the tide, the size of the waves (or not), the cycle of the moon, how hungry the fish are, if there is bait ... all highly impact your results. Take a look at the SOLUNAR fishing tables (sun and moon cycles) on the internet. Fish when there are a lot of fish or when there is high activity. Here's a place set for Santa Barbara (you will need to get it to show your beach area). http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/california/santa-barbara

And lastly, ask to fish next to someone who has experience. If you'd like to come to Santa Barbara, I can show you that. Call me at 805-708-7108 Perchin' Dave

ErikAllen17
01-11-2014, 12:18 AM
And lastly, ask to fish next to someone who has experience. If you'd like to come to Santa Barbara, I can show you that. Call me at 805-708-7108 Perchin' Dave

I was in Santa Barbara yesterday and reached out to you to fish... but never heard back. :Sad: Now that you posted your number, you're in trouble mister. I'm gonna blow up your line every time I go up to UCSB to visit my daughter!!! Hahahahaha.