PDA

View Full Version : Lizardfish........

noleash
01-06-2014, 06:49 AM
What is the deal with all the Lizardfish? Lizardfish behind my buddies boat in the harbor, Lizardfish at the bait barge, Lizardfish at the sand bass hole, Lizardfish all over the Halibut flats! I even saw a Lizardfish in the back of a Redondo Beach police car! Do they make good bait for any other predatory fish or is it something I need to accept and adapt to?

Nuoc Mam
01-06-2014, 07:33 AM
They're starting to be a pain in the arse haha That's how it was last year as well, lizardfish everywhere we went. I'll say this, Halibut bait =0) give it a try.

DockRat
01-06-2014, 08:55 AM
They're starting to be a pain in the arse
They really suck but if they help feed halibut when there is lack of bait around then that will result in more larger halibut in the harbors.
ALWAYS RELEASE LIZARD FISH. That is what I do. BUT FIRST clip off the tail without cutting the meat. That way they survive and make it back to the bottom and provide a easy catch meal for the bottom feeders. :LOL:
DR

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g337/Fern-Jill/DSCN6966.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/Fern-Jill/media/DSCN6966.jpg.html)

PokerFish
01-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Has anyone caught anything using them as live bait?

I've tried it a couple of times but haven't had any luck. The problem seems to be that when you hook them up, they just sit on the bottom motionless. They don't swim around and attract attention like other bait.

noleash
01-06-2014, 03:30 PM
They really suck but if they help feed halibut when there is lack of bait around then that will result in more larger halibut in the harbors.
ALWAYS RELEASE LIZARD FISH. That is what I do. BUT FIRST clip off the tail without cutting the meat. That way they survive and make it back to the bottom and provide a easy catch meal for the bottom feeders. :LOL:
DR

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g337/Fern-Jill/DSCN6966.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/Fern-Jill/media/DSCN6966.jpg.html)
Look at that little _ _ _ _ _ _ , hard to believe it bites the tails off Big Hammer swim baits, annihilates Fish Trap baits, attacks and devours Giant Humboldt Squid, attacks and sinks large fishing vessels, then has the audacity to stroll down to naushas for a couple of Beers! Thankfully the RBPD is on full tactical alert, and hopefully will aid in the eradication of this public enemy #1! :Big Grin:

troutsniffer
01-06-2014, 03:52 PM
No fish is better than Lizard fish :Smile:

Ifishtoolittle
01-06-2014, 05:02 PM
I kid you not, the larger lizardfish fight as hard as a sand bass. They're stupid fun if nothing else is biting. The best part is that anyone can catch them.

One of my buddies drifted around with a 6" lizard before. It got bitten off by who knows what. My guess was a larger lizard! lol

PokerFish
01-06-2014, 05:30 PM
I kid you not, the larger lizardfish fight as hard as a sand bass. They're stupid fun if nothing else is biting. The best part is that anyone can catch them.

One of my buddies drifted around with a 6" lizard before. It got bitten off by who knows what. My guess was a larger lizard! lol

I think if you're drifting around with it, it will definitely work because you're forcing the lizard fish to come off the floor and actually move as it's being dragged along.

Ifishtoolittle
01-06-2014, 05:35 PM
I think if you're drifting around with it, it will definitely work because you're forcing the lizard fish to come off the floor and actually move as it's being dragged along.

Yep.

lol I've seen schools of 20" or so fish come up from 20' of water to maul my Big Hammers. They move around more than everyone thinks.

DockRat
01-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Has anyone caught anything using them as live bait?

Heck yah, one dude caught a 45 lb Halibut off a lizardfish. They ran out of bait and had one in the bait tank he pinned on.
I think lizards are part of the diet for harbor halibut.

PokerFish
01-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Heck yah, one dude caught a 45 lb Halibut off a lizardfish. They ran out of bait and had one in the bait tank he pinned on.
I think lizards are part of the diet for harbor halibut.

Wow.....45lbs :EyePop:

Where was this?

DockRat
01-06-2014, 09:36 PM
I think it was in WON ? Newport ?

smokehound
01-07-2014, 11:04 AM
I caught a 14 inch lizard on the newport pier nearly ten years ago.. the bigger older lizards actually fight pretty hard.

flyhigh123
01-07-2014, 11:18 AM
i picked up a 16 inch lizard over the weekend. Kept him and will try him out as lobster bait.... haha

Ifishtoolittle
01-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Anyone ever keep one for a meal? They look like their meat would be very soft.

Stray Cat
01-13-2014, 05:47 AM
Anyone ever keep one for a meal? They look like their meat would be very soft.

I cooked one just to see for myself and it tasted like any other white meat fish in the ocean. Not bad at all.The down side is lots of little bones.

one long cast
01-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Here in the OC guys will fish for the lizards from the bridge at the LA/OC county line. After catching 6-8 of them they take them in a bucket of water and fish for halibut in the discharge area of the San Gabriel River. Must be good a lot of people fish there.

noleash
01-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Here in the OC guys will fish for the lizards from the bridge at the LA/OC county line. After catching 6-8 of them they take them in a bucket of water and fish for halibut in the discharge area of the San Gabriel River. Must be good a lot of people fish there.:Big Grin::Big Grin:And A:Cool:for the price of one!

noleash
01-13-2014, 06:44 PM
:Big Grin::Big Grin:And A:Cool:for the price of one!

Hey S W A T guys, did you catch the (A:LOL:) reference?:LOL: :Big Grin: