PDA

View Full Version : Corona: 25 a pop

Troutin Man
01-05-2014, 10:00 PM
So today I was lucky enough to hit the quickly evaporating lake before heading back to work tomorrow. Got there at about 7:30am and it was packed. The only shore spot I found open was near the boat ramp. So I set up my two rods. The guy next to me told me that he got there at 5am and there was already a line of at least 20 cars.

What drives me crazy about Corona is that everyone is packed together like sardines and baitin' is the only way to go from shore. I can throw a jig or lure within my "6 feet" of space, but that only takes you so far and you can only do it for so long. Can't walk the damn shoreline and throw your jigs without peeps givin' you "I will murder you a_hole looks". :Guns: One guy caught a fish about 50 yards away from me. That's all I saw from the time I got there until 11. A couple of shore anglers said they had some nibbles.

At 11am, I rented a boat and headed over to the east shore. Float tubers were catchin' sporadically...there were times for sure when it was dead. One guy caught a huge one. He stated that it is for sure over 20 pounds. Didn't follow the guy to the scale though. I was busy trying to catch my first fish.

Well I finally caught two nice sized trout...3 pounds maybe...great fight! Lost probably a 5 pounder or more after my first one. It jumped and twirled out of the water and my 2 pound test just couldn't handle it. So each fish cost me 25 bucks, but you know...time away from the family is priceless! :whistle:

KidTrout
01-05-2014, 10:21 PM
That sounds like corona now. I rarely fish the shore but when I do I make sure I'm there by at least 4:30 In the morning. That lake is just busy now. That fishing doesn't sound like corona at all. I've been going a few times a month there in my tube and just smacking those Mt lassens on mini jigs and Worms. Last time I was there it even broke wide open. But hey at least you beat the skunk.

zzzfish
01-06-2014, 01:19 PM
I was at Corona that day too. my friend caught one at 11 (not sure if it was the same guy you were referring to) and it weight 9lb at the scale. It was a really slow day but the only fish that we got made his day.

That sounds like corona now. I rarely fish the shore but when I do I make sure I'm there by at least 4:30 In the morning. That lake is just busy now. That fishing doesn't sound like corona at all. I've been going a few times a month there in my tube and just smacking those Mt lassens on mini jigs and Worms. Last time I was there it even broke wide open. But hey at least you beat the skunk.

Troutin Man
01-06-2014, 07:45 PM

4:30? Wow! That would mean I'd have to leave at 3:15am to get there in line with you. I like my sleep I guess!

Float tubes are definitely the way to go at Corona. Shore fishing there is ridiculous. As for the two I caught, I would have definitely been bummed. Two nice sizers are good for me. That's all I need to eat anyway.

Troutin Man
01-06-2014, 07:47 PM
I was at Corona that day too. my friend caught one at 11 (not sure if it was the same guy you were referring to) and it weight 9lb at the scale. It was a really slow day but the only fish that we got made his day.

Was your friend in a float tube? Your right about it being slow. It was definitely slow for a while. The wind blew pretty fiercely at times making it difficult for some of the float tubers to not float off into the sticks on the south side of the lake!!!

KidTrout
01-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Yea and I think with the holidays that just past maybe could of been a reason why all the lakes have been even more jammed pack. I couldn't even go to a SB County lake on a Friday without it being wall to wall fishermen. Maybe now the crowds will start to thin out. I don't go to corona now without my tube. I get there at 7, walk up and just kick out. I don't have to fight anyone for a spot and I get more sleep.

zzzfish
01-07-2014, 12:18 PM
No, we were on shore at one of the point closer to the marina.

Was your friend in a float tube? Your right about it being slow. It was definitely slow for a while. The wind blew pretty fiercely at times making it difficult for some of the float tubers to not float off into the sticks on the south side of the lake!!!

LBSea
01-07-2014, 02:28 PM
"but you know...time away from the family is priceless! :whistle:[/QUOTE]"

Nope don't know that. I would rather fish with my two boys any day of the week. Wife does not fish but oh well.

tailchaser001
01-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Miss the tailwalkers.....

Ultralight
01-12-2014, 09:37 AM
"but you know...time away from the family is priceless! :whistle:"

Nope don't know that. I would rather fish with my two boys any day of the week. Wife does not fish but oh well.[/QUOTE]

++++ on this!

UL