PDA

View Full Version : Five Years In The Making!

efrain
01-05-2014, 08:18 PM
After five long years of catching everything but (no pun intended) a Halibut, I finally got one, actually three is more like it!

What was supposed to be a scouting mission yesterday(1/4/14) turned out to be one of the best surf fishing sessions I have ever had. First cast Bam! Hook into something big, set the hook and tug, tug, tug. "What is this?" I ask myself; then It hits me, the head shakes, the run, the strength, I finally hooked up with the crown jewel of California surf fishing! Either because of utter amazement or sheer stupidity ( I could see my fish in the crystal clear water), I release all tension from my rod and the Hali goes free. After calling myself a few choice names I decide to get over it and continue casting. Nothing. Make a quick walk down the beach and start fan casting, bam! Fish on. This time I land my fish, 22.5 inches, and decide to throw him back. I continue fishing and get one last hit; a nice Hali that measured a hair under 22.25, this guy came with me :Big Grin: .

Lure: Rapala BX Swimmer 12 (Rainbow Trout)
Rod: Abu Garcia 7'6 Veritas Winch Series
Reel: Shimano Caenan (great little reel)
Line: 12lb. Big Game

skunked4life
01-06-2014, 06:03 AM
Efrain,

It seems as though the butts are biting lately. Great job farming the first one and catching the second! Now that you have one, keep at it!

Just one word of advice, I speak from experience from the drama that surrounds this topic, be careful keeping those barely legals. I went through alot of drama with one last year and DO NOT wish to experience it again. In any event, legal is legal and you deserved the catch! Great Job!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken

TUNAVIC
01-06-2014, 08:47 AM
Way to stay persistent,your efforts paid off,wtg.

Cya TUNAVIC

DockRat
01-06-2014, 09:18 AM
If you keep a barley legal it is ok you just need to leave fast before shrinkage sets in. WTG, DR

murrieta angler
01-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Congrats Efrain,
Seems you have been trying for a while and it finally paid off, 2 fold...:Smile:
If I were you, I would have went back to that "Hot Spot"...:Wink:
Thanks for sharing the fun,
Robert
<><

bachiboy
01-07-2014, 05:04 AM
Ahhhh, the joys of the ol' scouting mission that turns out to be a straight up awesome session.:Wink: Way to go on the multiple legals Efrain!:Thumbs Up: Beautiful way to start the new year off with a bang. Big things to come I'm sure...now that you've got your feet wet. Looking forward to hearing about them all!

Congrats!!!
Don

efrain
01-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks guys! The fish left me shaking, truly awesome feeling.

Fishingdachronarch201E7
01-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Awesome Efrain!!! congrats bro....i know the feeling, BADA$$....

tony G

skunked4life
01-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys! The fish left me shaking, truly awesome feeling.

I still shake when I catch em! So AWESOME right? Again, Congrats!