PDA

View Full Version : Harbors with Jack Mackerel?

Ifishtoolittle
01-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Hello there people. Happy New Year, and I hope all is well! As some of you may have seen in my reports I've been tubing at almost any bay/harbor that I can get into. I've caught a variety of species on my many trips, but one species has evaded me. The fish of concern is Jack Mackerel, also known as Aji at a sushi place. Would anyone here be so kind as to point me to which harbor may have these fun to catch critters? Thanks!

-IF2L

DockRat
01-05-2014, 09:38 PM
I've caught them at different areas (KH and SP) mixed in with the common greenback macs in the past. Never got into a school of them, just greenbacks. Never referred to them as 'Jack Mackerel' only Spanish Mackerel. I recall getting a couple of them when buying live sardines at SP bait in the past also.

Your best bet to find them is to hit the piers like KH, SP, LB, Seal, ect and look at the catches of the pier crowd. Try a fri, sat night with good weather when the crowds are out.
Good Luck, DR

Ifishtoolittle
01-05-2014, 10:33 PM
As always, thanks DR. I was going to put Spanish Mackerel for the title of the post, but I thought that some guys here would confuse them with the other Spanish Mackerel.

I'm not sure if I would fish with the crowds for Aji but who knows. I may try it in the summer.

DockRat
01-06-2014, 08:32 AM
I'm not sure if I would fish with the crowds for Aji but who knows. I may try it in the summer.

I didn't mean fish the pier, just check the catch to see whats around. Then go to another spot or tube.
Lots of chum is the best way to get Macs going off. That is what many do next to bait barges. They start chumming chopped up bait, cat food ect. Then catch macs for bait.
DR

PokerFish
01-06-2014, 02:24 PM
I have caught them out of King Harbor and Seal Beach pier as well, mixed in with regular mackerel as DR said.

Ifishtoolittle
01-06-2014, 09:33 PM
I didn't mean fish the pier, just check the catch to see whats around. Then go to another spot or tube.
Lots of chum is the best way to get Macs going off. That is what many do next to bait barges. They start chumming chopped up bait, cat food ect. Then catch macs for bait.
DR

I see. I never considered using pet food for chum. Thanks again for the insight DR.

I have caught them out of King Harbor and Seal Beach pier as well, mixed in with regular mackerel as DR said.

Great! Was there a particular time of the day that produced a better bite?

PokerFish
01-06-2014, 10:03 PM
I see. I never considered using pet food for chum. Thanks again for the insight DR.

Great! Was there a particular time of the day that produced a better bite?

I don't think you have to worry too much about time of day when it comes to Mackerel fishing. Dog/Cat food works great for chumming. Buy the cheap cans at the 99 cent store.

Ifishtoolittle
01-06-2014, 10:14 PM
I don't think you have to worry too much about time of day when it comes to Mackerel fishing. Dog/Cat food works great for chumming. Buy the cheap cans at the 99 cent store.

Cool. I'll give this a go on my next tube trip. Thanks again guys.

DockRat
01-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Guys use canned cat food in lobster/crab hoop nets too.
Just learned another trick. Packing jigs with cat food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnm9mLr9D-8

DockRat
01-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Looking for info on SW chumming with beans. Can't find anything only cooking recipes. ALTHOUGH I do believe this would work. SW chumming is visual. Chunking sardines offshore on a kelp paddy for Dorado, YT, Tuna is a visual draw at first then they eat the chunks. Dorado 100' away swimming at 20 mph see the chunks dropping and come racing in.

I'm sure tossing a handful of shiny washers from a hardware store would do the same. Sinking a beer or soda can would draw a fish from a distance also.

JERRYG and others would probably remember a common BONITO FISHING METHOD used 'Back in the day'.

Using a Bonito feather tied to mono 2' off your rod tip (NO Casting needed)
Then standing on a dock in a harbor you put your rod in the water 1' to 2'.
Next you make a wide FIGURE 8 PATTERN in the water as fast as you can creating a splash that simulates a Bonito chasing a bait. The Bonito would come racing over and strike the feather right in front of your face. When the Bonito would be thick in the harbors and not hit a feather or lure this method would be affective at times.

Bubble/Fly popping is another visual attractant method.
DR

CATFISHING WITH BEANS !

Guys in Texas do for Catfish (who knew Lol) and other states.
No FW chumming in Ca.

[here is a post]
Chumming works. Chum for a week in advance. I never worry about cats getting full. They are gluttons. I tried range cubes here and they didn't work for me. I use soybeans. Fill the 5 gallon bucket 2/3 full of beans, one packet of yeast (not necessary) and then fill the hose to the top with water out of the garden hose. Put the lid on the bucket but pound a nail through the lid then pull out the nail and put a smaller one in the hole so it acts like a valve. You want a nail with a big head like a roofing nail. This vents the bucket but helps keep bugs out.

Go out and dump your entire 5 gallons of chum over an area maybe 40 yards square. Do that 7 days in a row and then go fish. When you get there to fish, sprinkle some beans in the water to let them know the beans are back but then drop down some other kind of bait.

I had pretty good luck doing this for larger channel cats (24"-29") chumming with beans and then fishing with blood.

KANSAS GUY WROTE; Off topic yet interesting, DR

Keep your eye out during harvest. Look for fresh cut bean fields. If you look around where the entrances to the field are you will probably find a bunch of beans on the ground. That is usually where they transfer them fron the combine to the trucks. A little always gets spilled on the ground. To the farmer it isn't enough to mess with to pick it up. For a fisherman it is a gold mine of chum. Some spots you can scoop it with a shovel. You can get lucky and fill a 55 gal drum sometimes. Should be able to find enough to stock yourself up for next summer. You can do the same thing during corn harvest.

[Carp Guy wrote] DR

I talk people at tackle shop and they would help you! They want you to come back for their business!
I helped people to get start carp fishing that sweetcorn is great bait. Little Chum often is better than throw whole chum that would turn the fish off!
Don't be afraid to bring various baits with you to see which is best for you! I carried pinto beans, chick pea, sweetcorn, mazies with favor and some boilies with me. Hard to find boilies and very expensive to buy boilies in USA. Mazies is best for me here in USA! I use 10X35 bincocular to look for bubbles!

tommibear
01-07-2014, 08:54 AM
We have caught Spanish Mackerel / Jack Mackerel at Manhattan Pier and Hermosa Beach Pier.

Like others have said, they don't come in great schools and are often caught with the standard Mackerel, Sardines, etc.

Ifishtoolittle
01-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Looking for info on SW chumming with beans. Can't find anything only cooking recipes. ALTHOUGH I do believe this would work. SW chumming is visual. Chunking sardines offshore on a kelp paddy for Dorado, YT, Tuna is a visual draw at first then they eat the chunks. Dorado 100' away swimming at 20 mph see the chunks dropping and come racing in.

I'm sure tossing a handful of shiny washers from a hardware store would do the same. Sinking a beer or soda can would draw a fish from a distance also.

JERRYG and others would probably remember a common BONITO FISHING METHOD used 'Back in the day'.

Next you make a wide FIGURE 8 PATTERN in the water as fast as you can creating a splash that simulates a Bonito chasing a bait. The Bonito would come racing over and strike the feather right in front of your face. When the Bonito would be thick in the harbors and not hit a feather or lure this method would be affective at times.

Bubble/Fly popping is another visual attractant method.
DR

CATFISHING WITH BEANS !

Guys in Texas do for Catfish (who knew Lol) and other states.
No FW chumming in Ca.

[here is a post]
Chumming works. Chum for a week in advance. I never worry about cats getting full. They are gluttons. I tried range cubes here and they didn't work for me. I use soybeans. Fill the 5 gallon bucket 2/3 full of beans, one packet of yeast (not necessary) and then fill the hose to the top with water out of the garden hose. Put the lid on the bucket but pound a nail through the lid then pull out the nail and put a smaller one in the hole so it acts like a valve. You want a nail with a big head like a roofing nail. This vents the bucket but helps keep bugs out.

Go out and dump your entire 5 gallons of chum over an area maybe 40 yards square. Do that 7 days in a row and then go fish. When you get there to fish, sprinkle some beans in the water to let them know the beans are back but then drop down some other kind of bait.

I had pretty good luck doing this for larger channel cats (24"-29") chumming with beans and then fishing with blood.

KANSAS GUY WROTE; Off topic yet interesting, DR

Keep your eye out during harvest. Look for fresh cut bean fields. If you look around where the entrances to the field are you will probably find a bunch of beans on the ground. That is usually where they transfer them fron the combine to the trucks. A little always gets spilled on the ground. To the farmer it isn't enough to mess with to pick it up. For a fisherman it is a gold mine of chum. Some spots you can scoop it with a shovel. You can get lucky and fill a 55 gal drum sometimes. Should be able to find enough to stock yourself up for next summer. You can do the same thing during corn harvest.

[Carp Guy wrote] DR

I talk people at tackle shop and they would help you! They want you to come back for their business!
I helped people to get start carp fishing that sweetcorn is great bait. Little Chum often is better than throw whole chum that would turn the fish off!
Don't be afraid to bring various baits with you to see which is best for you! I carried pinto beans, chick pea, sweetcorn, mazies with favor and some boilies with me. Hard to find boilies and very expensive to buy boilies in USA. Mazies is best for me here in USA! I use 10X35 bincocular to look for bubbles!

You find the neatest stuff DR.

Thanks Tommibear.

DockRat
01-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Check photos and videos. Neat stuff Lol, that came in after a cast and not picked up on the beach. Rim shot.
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b401/Kiddolove10/picturesok/image_USC_logo.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/Kiddolove10/media/picturesok/image_USC_logo.jpg.html)

PokerFish
01-07-2014, 09:06 PM

I remember doing this back in the day in King Harbor when you used to be able to fish off the rocks.....it was a huge rush

bman90278
01-07-2014, 09:12 PM
I caught 1 spanish Mac in the KH this summer and saw a few others caught.

-b

one long cast
01-10-2014, 10:06 AM
D/R you are so showing your age with the Bonito feather on the cane pole rig.