PDA

View Full Version : Winter Months....What To Fish For?

Catalina CD
01-04-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm still fairly new to SoCal saltwater fishing. Beside halibut & calico's...what are some other good species to fish for (legally) this time of year? It's the 'ol catch 22 for me...the most free time I have throughout the year is January thru March, but not much is legal to fish for. Any suggestions would be appreciated...:Big Grin:

DockRat
01-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Check the surf reports and you'll see what guys are catching. Many target BSP mid winter till early spring that's when most big ones are caught. I take it you are talking about shore fishing ? MDR to Santa Barbara is where the larger ones are easier to catch. Good Luck.
DR

Ifishtoolittle
01-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Are you shore bound or do you have access to a boat?

If you are shore bound the surf is pretty well loaded with huge spawning Barred Surf Perch. Those things get huge with some up to 16" from what I've seen in reports on this forum.

If you can get on a boat, my other suggestion would be to fish along the many jetties that we have along our coast. The bass, flat fish, and whatever swims are always biting.

The last option would be to fish party boats for structure sandbass, sculpin, triggerfish, and perch.

I hope this helps.

-IF2L

Catalina CD
01-06-2014, 03:11 PM
I do have a boat, and will doing most of my fishing around Catalina Island since I live here. Appreciate the suggestions. Anyone have any other ideas what to fish for?

DockRat
01-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Where you the guy with the aluminum boat ? Check spearboard.com Cali form for catalina spear reports. I thought the big bonito were going off over there ?

Catalina CD
01-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Where you the guy with the aluminum boat ?

You have a good memory there DR...yes...that's me! However, I have since made a serious upgrade. I now own a 17' Mako pictured below. She's a great boat! Anyway, bonito's are always fun to fish for. Just don't like all the work that goes into tying to eat them.