PDA

View Full Version : Glen Helen 1/3

ato316
01-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Went to glen Helen this morning, got in line at 6:45 with about 15-20 cars in front to me. I fished the north side of lake next to the amphitheater parking. It was slow all day, nothing was biting, some people gave up around noon going home skunked. I tried different color powerbait and salmon eggs. Looking around the lake I only saw 4 or 5 trout pulled out total, one 10 year old kid pulled a nice 6 pounder though. I've had good luck in the past with red/white/blue powerbait and drop shotting anything green. Was also slow last Friday with the high wind gusts. Anybody else been fishing this lake lately?

quix
01-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Went to glen Helen this morning, got in line at 6:45 with about 15-20 cars in front to me. I fished the north side of lake next to the amphitheater parking. It was slow all day, nothing was biting, some people gave up around noon going home skunked. I tried different color powerbait and salmon eggs. Looking around the lake I only saw 4 or 5 trout pulled out total, one 10 year old kid pulled a nice 6 pounder though. I've had good luck in the past with red/white/blue powerbait and drop shotting anything green. Was also slow last Friday with the high wind gusts. Anybody else been fishing this lake lately?

I was there. They are stocking big ones this season which means the quantity of fish is low. You either get skunked or go home with one big one. I pulled out a 2-3LB rainbow on my first cast of the morning on a pink rooster tail and that was it. Switched up bait and started using night crawlers after it slowed down. Caught another trout and a catfish. That was it for the day.

mission89
01-05-2014, 10:57 AM
I was Also there yesterday. Drop-shotting everything I had; power worms, mice tails, nymphs all different colors, yellow and white jigs, all for nada. Later I threw out an inflated crawler, also nothing. Started throwing a rapala cd-3 fire tiger also nothing. It was probably my first ever skunk at glen Helen. It was nice to be out there though for the first time this trout season, it's usually my go to place but I'll be visiting other lakes probably. I left at 1230pm and only saw two fish cuaght.

etucker1959
01-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Hey Guys quick question, besides the DFG fish what hatchery or hatchery's are they buying their fish from????? The reason why I ask this question is, "I believe for what every reason, certain hatchery fish have preferences on what they will hit."

castle
01-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Don't give up. If we ever get rain the next week or two it can turn around.

KidTrout
01-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Try a mini jig tipped with a meal worm under a bobber. Works great there. Or try anything with a garlic scent to it. The water is stained so that helps out a lot there. I know someone who fishes there all the time and gets his limit most of the time. I've always done good with white and orange there.

Troutin Man
01-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Hey Guys quick question, besides the DFG fish what hatchery or hatchery's are they buying their fish from????? The reason why I ask this question is, "I believe for what every reason, certain hatchery fish have preferences on what they will hit."

Calaveras? Haven't been there this year, but last year was Calaveras.

phishin phool
01-05-2014, 09:52 PM
If I am not mistaken Jess Ranch is stocking all SB Co. lakes with their fish and Nebraka Tailwalkers every other week.

KidTrout
01-05-2014, 10:19 PM
If I am not mistaken Jess Ranch is stocking all SB Co. lakes with their fish and Nebraka Tailwalkers every other week.

That is correct. All fish are coming from Jess Ranch Hatchery.

georatm2011
01-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Jess Ranch trout suck, back when they were using different hatcheries each week, things were a lot better....

ato316
02-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Fished the big lake at Glen Helen, heard they had a county and state stocking this past week. I got there when the opened the gate and was able to get my limit by 11:30. Blue/yellow and Red/white/blue powerbait was what they bit on, tried dropshoting some trout king worms and had a bite but could set the hook. 4 of them where small, only 1/2 lb each and the last was maybe 2 lbs at the most.

I saw a couple others getting limits too. Ive gone a few times this season and seen others and myself go home skunked. I was happy the see people catching fish.