PDA

View Full Version : Fresh dead

Crankster
01-03-2014, 12:59 PM
For those of you fishing Castaic tomorrow, I just now got back from the bait barge and got a whole bucket full of live anchovies. I took them home, salted them down, and bagged them in large ziplock bags and put them in the ref ridge on ice. If anyone is interested in fresh dead hit me up in line tomorrow. Chevy truck w/ yellow champion boat.

fishinone
01-03-2014, 01:31 PM
What size anchovies did you get?

Crankster
01-03-2014, 06:26 PM
anchovies are pretty good size...average between 5-6 inches

flyhigh123
01-03-2014, 07:40 PM
anchovies are pretty good size...average between 5-6 inches

what does the salting do? Does it preserve it better or is it just for scent purposes?

superbigfish
01-04-2014, 01:18 AM
what does the salting do? Does it preserve it better or is it just for scent purposes?

adding salt toughens and makes the bait heavier

Crankster
01-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Bait worked great caught a lot of fish 17 for three people. Best was 2 5's and a 4.... the wrest were between 1-3. Found a good spot near Kong Island. Fly line, 5lb test fluorocarbon.

Stumpknocker
01-05-2014, 08:16 AM
That's a great day of fishing...how deep were you fishing?

Crankster
01-05-2014, 10:55 AM
The stripers moved thoughout the day between 20-60 feet. A few weeks back I was getting bit on the fall. This week was different. It seemed 90% of our bites came when you would let your bait fall to the depth the stripers were at on your electronics. You would then stop your bait, then shake a few times, stop then reel bait up a foot, stop, then repeat. It usually only took a few times of this before your bait would get thumped hard like a jig. I know a lot of guys out there have been anchoring up, but for us we have more success following the school around with the trolling motor while using your electronics.

Stumpknocker
01-05-2014, 11:32 AM
The stripers moved thoughout the day between 20-60 feet. A few weeks back I was getting bit on the fall. This week was different. It seemed 90% of our bites came when you would let your bait fall to the depth the stripers were at on your electronics. You would then stop your bait, then shake a few times, stop then reel bait up a foot, stop, then repeat. It usually only took a few times of this before your bait would get thumped hard like a jig. I know a lot of guys out there have been anchoring up, but for us we have more success following the school around with the trolling motor while using your electronics.

Thanks for the reply and the technique info...it's kind of like you're spoon-jigging them with anchovy pieces...cool!