PDA

View Full Version : Slow New Years 1/1/2014

tommibear
01-02-2014, 07:34 AM
We got to the Dam around 7:30 am and fished till 4 pm. The water was choppy and the wind was gusty at times. We walked along the dam and didn't see much striped bass action. Only a handful of people got them.

During our fishing session, we did see the Sheriff boat come by because of people fishing beyond the "LIMIT" line at the end of the Dam. I guess the sheriff was in a good mood since it was New Years and only issued them a warning rather than a ticket.

We soaked our sardines and didn't get any nibbles. I think we got "old" sardines that were previously frozen and then thawed out by the fish market. I know this has been asked many times, but where do people get "fresh" sardines in the Santa Clarita or San Fernando Valley?

At 1 pm, we were going to call it a day; on the way out, we noticed that the trout action was still pretty hot near the ramp area, so we changed our rigs and caught some trout for dinner. Before leaving the lake, we saw someone walking out with a large striped bass that he caught on his trout swimbait along the dam, it must of been 15-20 lbs!

Happy New Years.

superbigfish
01-02-2014, 07:58 AM
We got to the Dam around 7:30 am and fished till 4 pm. The water was choppy and the wind was gusty at times. We walked along the dam and didn't see much striped bass action. Only a handful of people got them.

During our fishing session, we did see the Sheriff boat come by because of people fishing beyond the "LIMIT" line at the end of the Dam. I guess the sheriff was in a good mood since it was New Years and only issued them a warning rather than a ticket.

We soaked our sardines and didn't get any nibbles. I think we got "old" sardines that were previously frozen and then thawed out by the fish market. I know this has been asked many times, but where do people get "fresh" sardines in the Santa Clarita or San Fernando Valley?

At 1 pm, we were going to call it a day; on the way out, we noticed that the trout action was still pretty hot near the ramp area, so we changed our rigs and caught some trout for dinner. Before leaving the lake, we saw someone walking out with a large striped bass that he caught on his trout swimbait along the dam, it must of been 15-20 lbs!

Happy New Years.

Gillions usually have fresh dines or Pyramid Lake store

Nuoc Mam
01-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Was out there new years eve's. No wind, beautiful weather but no bites on the sardines. Did catch our limits of trout though and saw quite a few stripers caught. Most were on the hudds near the ramp area since they stocked it that day around 10am. I made the rookie move and left my swimbait setup at home. Oh wells, maybe next time. It was cool watching a probably 5-7 lb striper stalking a small school of about 15 trout. Saw that big dark shadow behind them in the deeper water then saw the shadow disappear in the depths to only appear crashing on the trouts. It was a cool sight to see. Anyways, good luck to you out there. And I would like to know as well to where to get fresh dines hahaha guess that's the ticket to get the stripers.

FYI - When we got out of the car to fish, ranger/officer came up to us and said that they are going to start enforcing the "No Trespassing" law/sign on top of the dam area.