PDA

View Full Version : Toon & Trolling Motor Question

Ghost
09-25-2007, 07:57 PM
With the Outcast Streamer XL, the built in motor mount is a couple feet behind where the seat is.

Now if I added a trolling motor, like the Minn kota Endura 30, will I be able to reach comfortably behind to use the handle? Even if it's extended? It doesn't seem like it would be comfortable to be reaching behind to use the handle of the trolling motor for long periods of time, like getting to one spot to another.

Any of you guys have experience w/ the Bass Pro Shops deep cycle battery? They have one that is 24 lbs:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=58337&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO&langId=-1&storeId=10151&searchOption=products&hvarSearchString=21-525-044-01&catalogId=10001&cmCat=SEARCHRESULTS&ddkey=SearchResults

matt duarte
09-25-2007, 08:41 PM
u should be fine on the trolling motor I don't have one on mine but the TM handles are a good foot in length. also you could get a 7'' seat riser and a swivel and the would make it that much better!

FngRHooKr
09-26-2007, 07:44 AM
On my toon (trout unlimited colorado) the motor mount is offset to one side making this problem a little better. My first trip out I did not have the 9" seat pedestal and It was pretty awkward. Now with the seat extension and the addition of a casting platform I am pretty comfortable, but still not as good as I would like.

It is an issue that I have not been able to solve completely but it beats rowing across the lake of fisghting the winds.

Paul

matt duarte
09-26-2007, 07:56 AM
I think if you look on bass n tubes web site they have a toon and tube rigging section and theirs this one guy who bought one of those foot controlled TMs and took the foot control off and made a box where he hooked up a nob to turn left to right ( that steered the trolling motor and another swtich for forward or reverse.... looks like a petty sweet idea

FngRHooKr
09-26-2007, 10:06 AM
yeah I was already thinking about this but a foot control trolling motor is a minimum of $400 vs. the $100 for endura 30.

Ronira
09-26-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm with FngRHooKr, I've got a 7 ihch riser and a swivel so it's not bad. But it could be better. I can tool around and fish standing up so I'm pretty stoked with that.

Z-TUNAKILLER
09-28-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm with FngRHooKr, I've got a 7 ihch riser and a swivel so it's not bad. But it could be better. I can tool around and fish standing up so I'm pretty stoked with that.

hey, i have the same toon as ron, works great. i just picked up a OPTIMA BLUE TOP MARINE D34M BATTERY its only 43lbs. , 22lbs.+ lighter then the costco kirkland i had. i went for the minn riptide, minn recommends at least 105 amp. hours, the optima has 140ah.

OPTIMA BLUE TOP: Calculate AmpHour Needs for Marine Accessories

"I've got a fish finder, extra lights and a trolling motor. How many batteries do I need to stay on the water for a period of time?"

Calculate the Ampere Hours for each power need:
(amps x # of hours = Ah)

Example:

- Lights 5 amps x 4 hours = 20 Ah

- Fish Finder 1 amp x 4 hours = 4 Ah

- Trolling Motor 10 amps x 4 hours = 40 Ah

i'll be hitting the salt, as soon as i figure the damn thing out.

Z

FISH ON !

Ronira
09-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Hey Z, sweet dawg. Man I should have got one of those bad boys but I have to save a few fun tickets where my wife can't find them. I really want a performance report on your new battery setup.