PDA

View Full Version : Spinning rod/reel for LC's ?

Carpfisher
12-31-2013, 06:57 AM
I'd like to fish with my LC's more. I have a 9' 6" Shimano "Scimitar" paired with a Sedona spinning reel.
It casts OK i guess but doesn't seem to get the LC's out far enough.
I tried drilling a hole in an LC and getting some water in for a weight increase but it messed up the action.
Any recommendations on a spinning setup, rod and reel that will cast nicely/better than my current rig.
Any thoughts on braid vs. mono pertaining to casting distance ?
Thanks in advance….

efrain
12-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Hi Carpfisher,

I use two different spinning set-ups from time to time, a 7'4 Abu Garcia Vendetta Medium action rod and a 7'6 Blair Wiggins Wright And McGill medium action rod. I use both Shimano 2500's and Pfluger size 40' reels on them. Personally I have never had a problem with distance( LC's are great for casting), as it seems that fish here in California hold tight to the beach. Also I have used 6'8 and 7'0 rods and had no problem being able to hook up surf Calicos and WSB from shore. Rod length just seems to be a matter of preference, check out the post from SP Dan and Wingnut. Both anglers are successful in their fishing and use different size rods, SP Dan uses a 9'6 while Wingnut tends to use rods ranging from 7'6 to 8ft.

If you happen to get into bait casters take a look basspro's Crankin' Stick, a great rod for throwing out jerkbaits and cranksters and only $80 for a 7"10 rod.
Hope this helps.
Efrain

DockRat
12-31-2013, 02:42 PM
That 8" 6" Fenwick spinner I got from Lucas kicks axx.
one FNN classified. Good price sw spinner rod.

DockRat
12-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Steelhead spinners are WTG.
My Shimano Symetre w/ 15 lb braid can cast a LC 130 feet.
Look at SP Dan. Go spinner go east coast style. Too many fw bass going sw. Creates fw into sw adaptaion west coast style.
Dr

Carpfisher
12-31-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys. Ill try to look at them all.
Sorry for posting in the wrong section