PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Beach LBC. First hali/surf fish

ST0N3YB4SSHUNT3R
12-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Today I decided to go down and try surf fishing the beach right down the street from the girlfriends house for a few hours while she was at work. My parents just hooked it up with some waders for christmas and it seemed like a good time to try em out. I fished from 330 to 530 pretty much directly below Ocean and Cherry. threw a zman zswimmerz on a small leadhead for a while for 1 bite. Switched to a daiwa db minnow in a rainbow trout pattern, fished that for a while. Finally caught a glimpse of some surface action nearby so i started focusing on that direction. Bam! Got a hit! Pulled in a small guy. I was stoked to caught my first halibut/surf fish, Snapped a quick one before i let him go. New neoprene waders worked great also so ill probably be dropping by this area to fish every once in a while. Until then, tight lines to everyone and i hope your first fish of the new year is a big fat one!
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy345/shelbysboobs/Mobile%20Uploads/image-3.jpg (http://s806.photobucket.com/user/shelbysboobs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-3.jpg.html)

Ifishtoolittle
12-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Good stuff dude! I never understood what all the buzz was with Halibut, but after I hooked into my first one I think I finally understand.

ST0N3YB4SSHUNT3R
12-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Yea i definately feel ya there. Ive lived in LB my whole life and have mainly just fished the local pond for largemouth. Maybe tried surf fishing all of 3 times. But after this experience I can honestly say that ill be out in the surf a lot more hunting for my first legal! It works out great because its been a skunkfest for me recently at Eldo.

Ifishtoolittle
12-31-2013, 04:05 PM
YEP! I rarely target the green boys during the cold. When it's cold like this the salt is usually calling for me.

GhettoBasster
12-31-2013, 05:09 PM
Awesome catch! Cool that your GF lives by the beach. That makes her a keeper.

Wingnut
01-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Congrats on your first of many surf catches. :Big Grin:
Happy New Year!

skunked4life
01-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Yes...waders open up a whole new world of fishing in the winter! Great job out there! Keep targeting the flatties. Believe me, the legals are still out there!

Skunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken