PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Vacation - Day 5

ErikAllen17
12-30-2013, 05:50 PM
This is a report for Monday, December 30, 2013.

Today, Nick and I met up in Camarillo and had to decide where we were going to fish. Emma Wood reported 3-5ft waves, so our previous plan was out the door. We decided to hit up the jetties in Ventura, reporting 1-2ft waves, for some grey light fishing. We arrived in Ventura when it was still dark, suited up and rigged up and was in the water by 6:30am. The waves were MUCH bigger than 1-2ft... more like the 3-5ft range. Disappointing, but whatever... we're here, let's fish!

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/VenturaHarbor_12-30-2013_01.jpg

We threw the LC for a bit, with no dice. So I switched over to the C-Rig and figured I'd try for some fat perch. I started reeling in both BSP and Walleye all morning. Most of them again, quite small. None of them worthy of the tape...

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/VenturaHarbor_12-30-2013_02.jpg

I kept checking on Nick, who spent almost the entire morning tying rigs. He kept getting hung up and broken off. I think he went through 1 new lure and about 6 C-Rigs... crazy! I did see him roll in a few small perch here and there, so at least he got some fishing in. But almost every time I looked over, he was doubled over his line, tying something else on.

At one point, he just finished tying on another new lure and on his first cast... bam, he gets hung up again on the muscles. I am a little more agile than Nick, so I made my way down to the rocks to retrieve his lure. There was no way I was letting him lose another rig! I tried for several minutes, in between waves, to release his line from the rocks. I finally got the line untangled, but then his lure hooked into a patch of muscles.
CRAP! :Head Bang:

I tried to get it unhooked, but it was JUST out of reach. I relieved him of his pole and turned it around to use the butt to push it backwards in hopes of unseating the hooks from the muscles... once again, in between waves. Then, as I ALMOST had it, I see a wave coming. I braced myself for it, but it overtook me... I was flailing in the rocks, focused on keeping my head above water. As the wave passed, I signaled I was "OK" and tried for the lure again. Finally, I got it to pop and had saved the day. As I climbed back up the rocks onto the jetty, I noticed my hand hurting from trying to recover my footing... I looked down and saw it mildly ripped up. Turned out the whole thing was an extremely dumb decision... even though everything more or less was OK. Moral of the story... let the $10 lure go and remain safe. I lucked out as it could've went another way.

http://www.allenpix.com/erik/boards/fishing/VenturaHarbor_12-30-2013_03.jpg

TUNAVIC
12-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Glad all turned out well.

Cya TUNAVIC

bachiboy
12-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Sometimes it just isn't worth it. Gotta be careful out there man. Glad it didnt cost you more than some scratches. Heck of a try over the last few days. Sounds like you've covered quite a bit of water. Keep it up and I'm sure you'll strike the mother lode soon! :Wink:

Don

anchor3n1
01-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Hey Erik:

What can I say? You risked your life for my...wait for it...$6.99 Daiwa minnow. I told you to leave it but you were a man on mission. Thanks for saving the minnow from certain death.

Yes, this day felt like I was in a sweatshop or something - tying rig after rig after rig...after rig. Oh well, I got some good practice in I guess.

best,

Nick

Wingnut
01-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Be careful out there Erik... equipment & tackle can be replaced, no need to pay for it in blood. :LOL:
Hope the New Year brings you lots of great memories in the surf. :Cool:

skunked4life
01-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Great reporting (days 1 through 5). What a great way to spend your holidays! I concur with our commander, be careful. Seems like alot of your reports come with the bloody hand shot. Don't want to get an infection.

SKunked4life, aka Corporal Croaker, aka Ken