PDA

View Full Version : Saturday morning. Slow Bite but Doable!

fishinone
12-30-2013, 12:49 PM
I fished on Saturday morning with Wes and Sean. These guys are newbs.

The first thing that happened on the day was that I put my warranty replacement fish finder in and got nothing when I tried to turn it on. I tried my other battery and still nothing. (I found out this morning that my batteries were low. I forgot to put the charger and left something on, I guess. The engine started well and everything else worked but the fish finder seems to need at least 11.5 volts. Now it's working.-)

We set up at Necktie Canyon inside of DMS and Striper Mike. Striper Mike doesn't post he just catches fish.

Wes and Sean hadn't striper fished before and were having a hard time at first. It was lucky we weren't playing baseball because in fishing, swings are free.

I think that Sean might have had the flu or something and wasn't seeing the hits. He finally just laid down in the bow and took a nap.

Wes on the other hand was doing a great job of feeding the fish while I missed some and landed some. After a while he asked me how to go about hooking them. I went through the current bite, let them go a few feet giving them slack then set the hook like you were trying to rip their lips off hooking technique with him one more time, now that I had his attention. After that he started catching very well!

The other boats out a little deeper than us, were catching fewer fish than us but they were larger.

We pulled up stakes around 1:00pm and headed in. I was disappointed that Sean hadn't caught a fish but Wes had to go to work and Sean was sick, so heading in was reasonable.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%2012-29-2013/20131228_130259_zps22f5b5e2.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Castaic%2012-29-2013/20131228_130259_zps22f5b5e2.jpg.html)
Here's Wes with a couple of our nicer ones.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%2012-29-2013/20131228_130144_zps9f13a63e.jpg (http://s454.photobucket.com/user/fishinone/media/Castaic%2012-29-2013/20131228_130144_zps9f13a63e.jpg.html)
We kept 17.

Wes threw back 1 little one, I threw back at least 3 little ones.

Not too bad for half a day!

chefgary
12-30-2013, 01:15 PM
sounds like a great day to me. Need to get out on a boat one of these days, the dam bite seems like it slowed down!

great job on the catch!

Stumpknocker
12-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Nice bunch of tasty fish! Your description of your hooking technique is spot on...that's what's been working for me as well...thanks for the report! I'm going tomorrow...did they show any bait preferences?

fishinone
12-30-2013, 02:37 PM
sounds like a great day to me. Need to get out on a boat one of these days, the dam bite seems like it slowed down!

great job on the catch!

I think this is just a pause in the bite. Really they are just being finicky but still biting. I missed more than I caught because they are just playing with the baits.

Nice bunch of tasty fish! Your description of your hooking technique is spot on...that's what's been working for me as well...thanks for the report! I'm going tomorrow...did they show any bait preferences?

We caught them on both sardines and nightcrawlers but they preferred the nicely frozen dines. We had to let them run with the nightcrawlers too.

CAPT'N
12-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Ron,
Nice seeing you out there within the armada. As soon as you left, the bite picked up for me. After Mike pulled anchor, it picked up a bit more.

Thanks again for the bait.......

Everyone caught fish, we just had a real bad start .....stopped and fished Kong for a while to finish up our take for the day.

Happy New Year to all!
Capt'n

fishinone
12-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Ron,
Nice seeing you out there within the armada. As soon as you left, the bite picked up for me. After Mike pulled anchor, it picked up a bit more.

Thanks again for the bait.......

Everyone caught fish, we just had a real bad start .....stopped and fished Kong for a while to finish up our take for the day.

Happy New Year to all!
Capt'n

You're welcome! I'm happy to hear that you got into them.

I saw Dan at the ramp so he left right after me too. The fish were probably feeling lonely.

What size fish are biting at the island?

koifish
12-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Nice cactch Ron. i will try to get out for a short session tomorrow morning see if i can get some before the new year.